PDA

View Full Version : Exceptional hard drive deal - WD 80 GB w/ 8MB cache for $40!

Anteraan
01-18-2004, 01:57 PM
I just got this in my e-mail and thought I'd post it for the good of the group. $50 in mail-in rebates and a $20 instant rebate make a truly excellent drive downright cheap. If you're even thinking about a HD upgrade at some point, this is definitely worth a look:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=rb&product%5Fcode=294555&pfp=external#moreinfo

Maybe it's just me, but this has RAID written all over it for someone.

GHOST
01-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Looks like a good deal, but good luck getting your rebate. A known scam. They hope you never mail in for the rebate or they just plain do not send it to you.

Two different times I bought hd from best buy. best buy sent me their part of rebate, but maxtor did not. Once they said I did not send in the bar code. I most certainly sent it in.!! Next time they just never sent anything.

So a "cheap HD" became very expensive.

magicfan241
01-18-2004, 08:57 PM
They had this sort of Western Digital HD on sale for the same price at Staples (or mabey Maxtor, I forget), I got both my rebates. I would go for it.

If it dosen't work, bitch at the company until they give it to you.........

magicfan241

DocWardo
01-19-2004, 08:47 AM
When I send in rebates. I take it to a copy machine just before assembling the envelope and I lay everything out on the copy machine, even the stamped evelope. then if it's anywhere near the date it has to be sent I take it to the post office (which I conveniently live by) and send it out from the desk and get a reciept showing that I mailed it. I've only had to use it once, but then they agreed that they made a mistake and sent me my rebate. I think it was APC or maybe it was dlink. I had so many parts fry from storms or me dropping something on a wireless antenna that I don't remember what was what. But I do know I but a lot on rebates and havn't had many problems.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

/me knocks on wood.

Anteraan
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
I haven't had much in the way of problems either, so I guess I could be considered lucky. The rebates typically don't come quickly, but they've all made it so far. I use a similar method to yours, Doc, and it helps. Anyway, I just wanted to post the info. Everyone here can make their own decision as to whether or not they care to pursue it.