PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 farm?

elmo
01-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Hello there everyone

this post is semi related to free dc in that im intending to start a new business which requires a fair amount of cpu power for turn around, and i thought why not use it to crunch some numbers while its not working 9 till 5, so if you get my drift, it helps me and the team(thank gopher for the hinting that cpu cycles could be used elsewhere) :D

im currently looking at single chip amd systems (multiple of;) ) and require them to be setup in a way which 1 computer has control of the entire farms power, and windows...Ideally it would indeed be a linux based system, but hey nevermind, 5ghz on a windows system is better then a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

Sooooo guys if you can manage to help me, im sure i can help add you lot??

-Russell

Splinkio
01-18-2004, 06:04 PM
/me punches elmo in the eye :)

sounds good to me - give us a shout if ya need elp with anything

elmo
01-18-2004, 06:15 PM
hehe splink, trying to help me on my Q would help :o

-Russell

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Hmm Elm, thats easy dude.. all you need is a big enough Hub, enough network cards, Linux and suitable remote admin software.. the remote admin can be installed as a service on Windows platforms (or the one I use can) not sure on linux boxes though.. hmm
mobo's Shuttle AK32 for upto 2400+ (166FSB max - x12 maybe a little higher)
for something faster with better sound and Onboard net MSI KT6 Delta Series mobo
5.1 Sound, Network and loads of USB... all you need is a Video Card and the basics and your going..
Well OS wise 2k sounds good plan all round.. hmm never used linux need to ask one of the linux dudes (dang where is FoBoT and CO when you need them)

elmo
01-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Yo goph ;)
has to be win32 im afraid otherwise i wouldnt be asking this Q (win32 requirements of my other usage, no way of getting around it).....unless anyone knows a way of which running a win32 process on a linux farm without silly amounts of overheads :D

-Russell

gopher_yarrowzoo
01-18-2004, 06:47 PM
okay ignore the linux comments... hmm MSI mobo's make good candidates for O/Cing as well btw as long as you got the cooling to make it work your fine.. ask in the Hardware forum about that one ;)

Win 2k all the way and Remote Admin works a treat :) and if you need to have them connect via one line and you can't don't wanna router ;) get WinRoute Pro from kerio.com :D

elmo
01-18-2004, 06:50 PM
gopher if only it was that simple, i really need to actually combine the processing power from the entire farm, for example say i have 5 2ghz chips, i need one process to be able to be worked through by the combined 10ghz...aint i just a pain in the rear :D

-Russell