PDA

View Full Version : Linux install which is best?

Splinkio
01-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I have used linux many times in the past .. but really have not kept up with their recent releases. I think my last install was 6.4 redhat. Anyway ..

I wanna start doing some php - as its costing me a load for asp hosting + MSSQL. So if someone could point me in the right direction for a decent linux OS to jump into. I have downloaded mandrake and redhat and i might give those a bash. Tbh i dont think there is going to be much difference between them. What i am going to be running is MYSQL and apache and maybe a few other things like sendmail or qmail or something. Never done php before btw :)

any pointers would be appreciated.

QIbHom
01-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Both Mandrake and Red Hat are rpm based systems. You might want to try a system with apt-get (Debian based). I've had a lot fewer problems with apt than I had with rpm.

It sounds like you are putting together a server. So, you don't want a GUI and all kinds of services running. A basic Debian or Slackware install would get you what you need.

magnav0x
01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Gentoo!

Dyyryath
01-19-2004, 12:25 PM
If you're comfortable with Linux already, Gentoo might be a good option (it's my favorite). It can have a longer setup time, though, depending on how much of it you are going to install from source.

Redhat is obviously an easy choice, as is Mandrake. RPM by itself can sometimes be a hassle, but Mandrake's urpm tools are just as painless as apt-get and RedHat's up2date isn't too shabby either.

Debian's always a good choice, though it's not going to be as quick or painless to install as Redhat or Mandrake, either.

FreeBSD is another option for a pure server machine. Very stable, very reliable. I've got a couple of servers running FreeBSD here. Reminds me a little of Solaris, actually. All function, very little flash. ;)

Splinkio
01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks a load guys. Yer I have used linux before didnt find rpm too much of a bother to be honest, but then again I like messing and i dont like things where you click something and it does everything for you *cough* windows *cough*. Saying that even though I am mcse :)

I will give debian a bash i think, even though I have downloaded more or less every other linux package under the sun.

Mucho gracias

:thumbs:

alpha
01-20-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
FreeBSD is another option for a pure server machine. Very stable, very reliable. I've got a couple of servers running FreeBSD here. Reminds me a little of Solaris, actually. All function, very little flash. ;)

Thanks Dyy, you saved me the bother :D I will just point out, though, that FreeBSD is not a Linux distribution.

Splinkio
01-20-2004, 03:23 AM
Im downloading every distro from linuxiso.org anyway .. so I will have a play with them :)

I have used freebsd in the past, and yes it is very good as an OS.

I am waiting for my hardware to arrive so i can get it online, so as soon as i start installing im sure everyone will hear from me :)

:cheers:

MerePeer
03-14-2004, 08:10 PM
I am buying another hard drive (or 2) where I'd like to install Linux. I'm thinking I could add a second drive to an existing box, then modify the BIOS to boot from HDD1 (?).

I've never used Linux, but I've used unix; but I've never installed unix. I'd like to start with an 'easy install' and work up from there. From this thread, and some web browsing, it seems like either Redhat or Gentoo or Lindows might be my best choice (I don't even know what rpm means)?{a} And it seems like linuxiso.org is the best one-stop shop, is that correct?{b}

For any of these O/S, do I need to first confirm compatability with....anything; like mobo or vid card?{c}

Am I correct that I would have 3 options for Redhat?{d}
1) Pay for the enterprise install which is either $179 here http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/ or $89 here (?not sure this is same thing?) http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=32-106-205&depa=6
2) Use the free "fedora" install.
3) Use the free "red hat 9" install.

Why does it seem like Mandrake costs money when I look here, but it has a free? iso on the linuxiso site -- is it just version 10 that is going to cost?{e}
http://www.mandrakestore.com/mdkinc/index.php?country_id=us&state=MD&MDK_STORE_REFERER=&CUSTID=&UID=&first_access=ok

I know Lindows offers a windowing workstation, do any of these? {f}
Even if they don't, it sounds like GNOME is a nice environment and free -- does it run under GENTOO? {g} Any other environments I should look into? {h}

Is there any software that isn't free which you would recommend I purchase to make life under Linux easier? {i} For instance, backup software (that perhaps would backup my windows PCs) that would write to a DVD.

Of course -- the bottom line is that whichever Linux flavor I pick.....must be supported by the DF client!

Well that's enough Qs for now...any and all responses will be most appreciated.

:notworthy

rshepard
03-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Mandrake 10 is also a free download. It just made the mirrors late last week, and is a pretty good choice for a first install. I wouldn't go with Gentoo as a first-time Linux build; it is a sweet distro, but it is more complex than the "drop in the CD and make a few selections" method you'll get with either Redhat or Mandrake. Both of these will probably play nice with your hardware; however it can't hurt to double check.
As for the second drive, you don't actually have to modify the BIOS-- look around on the 'Net for "Dual-booting Windows and Linux" and you'll find plenty of info on how to handle that.

RPM stands for Redhat Package Manager, a system/format for packaging and installing software. It is fairly common now, and is also used by Mandrake.

Gnome isn't a bad environment; there is also KDE-- then there are "lighter" environments like XFCE, Blacbox, and so on. They should all run on Gentoo or any other distro.