PDA

View Full Version : email about WRA (World Record Attempt)

Welnic
01-22-2004, 07:46 PM
I got my email about the world record attempt. You need to register, and when you do you get to select a team. There were only three choices, none of them Free-DC (or FREEDC), so I selected no team. Then when you log on you have the choice to create a team, but it said that if create a team you would be the manager, so I didn't do that. :scared:

So someone needs to create the team. :thumbs:

rshepard
01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Team created- go get 'em

:D :D :D

NOTE- if you were running any of the beta-tests on Linux the last week or so, you're
userID number will change- They have reset the user database, so you'll have to adjust your cbspn.conf files accordingly.

PCZ
01-22-2004, 08:57 PM
I have already registered twice.
How many more times are we going to have to do this ?

The linux client looks ok you just put your UID in the conf file.
It is still a lot slower than the windows version though.

The windows client is nasty, I didnt get a choice of where to install it and it plonked an exe in my startup folder.
Fine lot of use that is in a multi user enviroment.
Also it uses the registry so extra work to roll it out.

So Phase 2 has been fun but if the current beta is the sign of things to come I will sit out phase 3.

matrix_fan
01-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Finally, jeez.... Confusing

bwkaz
01-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Obviously other people were able to register... I kept getting "invalid email address" errors when I'd try.

I've already sent an email off to the support address, so I'll see what happens...

PCZ
01-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Tom wrote:

Only one client will run at a time per pc. Is this intentional? Version 0.3.0.2 would run multiple copies per pc.

Yes it is now intentional. :swear:

willy1
01-22-2004, 10:05 PM
How does the one copy per PC work with multi-processor HT boxes? (2 physical, plus 2 virtual CPUs)

Is it multi-CPU aware in a W2K environment ?

If it will only run one instance on each box, then it's not worth installing.

Edit:
:rant:
OK - this new WRA Windows client installer SUX ! :trash:

No choice of install location, stuff jammed into the Startup folder, registry crap everywhere.... crikey!

PCZ
01-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Willy1

This policy sucks big time.

I think it is limited to 1 instance per computer so that the number of nodes can be easily calculated for the world record attempt.

This restriction can be circumvented, but what affect will that have on the WRA ?

willy1
01-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Have they said anywhere if the older clients will work for the WRA?

I couldn't find anything....

PCZ
01-22-2004, 10:55 PM
No the older clients wont work for the WRA.

If you run the new clients you will not get any credit in the phase 2 stats so dont roll it out on all your nodes.

willy1
01-22-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm not rolling it out anywhere if it can only run one instance per box.

Tough luck for them.

PCZ
01-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Willy1
Looking at the nodes/sec figures from CBMOC the new client is very slow.
I Compared the figures from the same PC with the old and new clients.
The new client scores are about half that of the phase 2 clients.

The new client seems to have been written for AOL users.

FoBoT
01-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by PCZ

The new client seems to have been written for AOL users.

http://www.pchell.com/images/pcfire2.gif

edorajh
01-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Where did you guys find new version of client? I can only find old version at their download page.

rshepard
01-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Windows (http://downloads.chessbrain.net/client30123-02-win.exe)

Linux (i586) (http://downloads.chessbrain.net/client30122-02-lin-i586.tgz)

Linux (i686) (http://downloads.chessbrain.net/client30122-02-lin-i686.tgz)

edorajh
01-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks. Should I uninstal old version of CB?

rshepard
01-23-2004, 08:53 AM
I didn't-- just shut it down and install the new one

edorajh
01-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Version of client is 0.3.0.14 and version of agent is 1.0.0.21. Is that OK?

rshepard
01-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Yep :thumbs:

edorajh
01-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks! :cheers:

bwkaz
01-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by bwkaz
I kept getting "invalid email address" errors when I'd try. Apparently it was a bug in the registration process.

It's fixed now, and I am registered.

(Just in case anybody was wondering... ;))

As for the not getting phase 2 stats thing, well, I guess it's a good thing I kept my old executable around. I suppose I'll change my bootscripts over to start the new one up the night before the WRA starts... or something.

The installer for Windows may be crappy, but the Linux one is nice and smooth. Just untar from inside an empty directory -- same as always. :p

willy1
01-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Hi gang -

Check out this thread at the ChessBrain bbs on the WRA multi-CPU CLI client use (http://www.chessbrain.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=641)

I still think they are losing out big time in not counting each physical CPU as a machine for the World Record attempt.

The method outlined in the thread seems to work. Maybe someone could host a download for us of just the two files needed for the Windows CLI client - cbpncli.exe and cbspn.conf

If you use this method, the cbspn.conf file needs the NEW UsedID number that you can get here (http://www.chessbrain.net/member/getmemberid.php?user=user@your.net) (substituting your own email address of course) after registering for the World Record attempt.

willy1

Paratima
01-24-2004, 08:15 AM
bwkaz: I reported the same registration problem. Evidently, they didn't allow enough characters or something. Got this back from Carlos overnight.
Thank you for reporting the problem you experienced. We found a problem in our email validation routine that was preventing your email from being accepted. The problem has been fixed! Please try again. -CJ

Welnic
01-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by willy1

..snip...
I still think they are losing out big time in not counting each physical CPU as a machine for the World Record attempt.
...snip...

willy1

Maybe this won't be a record for the most processors used as a chess computer. I don't know how many processors the super computers that were made to specifically play chess have. I did look up that Deep Blue, that beat Kasporov in 1997, had 256 processors. The trend since then is to have more less powerful processors.

So the record that is being gone for is the most "computers".