PDA

View Full Version : Phase 3 windows client

PCZ
01-25-2004, 12:02 AM
The Phase 3 client installs itself by default with a CB agent tray applet.
However the client can be run at the command line just like the phase 2 client.

You only need 2 files cbpncli.exe and cbspn.conf.
If you install the windows client on one PC grab those 2 files and use them on your other boxes.

Find out your UID

edit cbspn.conf and add your UID
edit the monitor IP address if you have CBMOC running on your network.

The client can be started by running
install path\cbpncli 0,cbspn.conf

The 0 stops output to the screen, a 1 there will turn the output on.
The , tells cbpncli to use a cbspn.conf file instead of the registry.

If the cbspn.conf file is not in the same directory as cbpncli.exe then you will have to put the full path to it after the comma.

Using the 0,cbspn.conf switch means that the client can easily be run using firedeamom or Srvany.

I am running multiple instances OK, using seperate directories CB1, CB2 etc.

FoBoT
01-25-2004, 01:31 PM
thank you
:drums:

QIbHom
01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Thank you, PCZ. I was dreading upgrading my work computers after hearing about the Windows client.

Anyone figured out how to run it as a service yet? Or, is that an option on the install? If so, I can borg 7 more computers.

PCZ
01-25-2004, 06:14 PM
The new client runs fine as a service.

Run it the same way as you did the phase 2 client.

I use Srvany and had to edit the application parameter as the exe name has changed and the 0,cbspn.conf switch is required.

before: c:\cb\cbspn
after: c:\cb\cbpncli 0,cbspn.conf

FoBoT
01-27-2004, 08:49 AM
when running in this manner, will i see any output on the screen?

i started 3-4 just by running the .exe , and the screen just shows some generic info, nothing that looks like it has done any moves. with the phase 2 CLI , it would display a bunch of stuff when it did a move or whatever

am i getting work? or is it just sitting there doing nothing? i don't see myself in the stats yet :Pokes:

rshepard
01-27-2004, 09:01 AM
You won't get any work until tomorrow; the server isn't playing while CJ is in transit to Denmark.

magnav0x
01-27-2004, 11:01 AM
?? When I talked to him he said he was going on Sunday... Guess that's why I haven't been able to get ahold of him yesterday or today :bang:

PY 222
01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I've just found out about Stage 3 today. OMG... I am slow :bang:

Sorry folks, but now I know, I will bring my toys to the party.

So watch out for me ok.

PCZ
01-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Fobot

If you use a 0 on the command there will be no output
cbpncli 0,cbspn.conf
{used when running as a service}

Use a 1 instead if you want to see whats going on.
cbpncli 1,cbspn.conf
{used when run from a cmd prompt}

Important
If you just run cbpncli without any switches it uses the registry not the cbspn.conf file

The Supernode is down at the moment so dont panic about the lack of activity from your client.

FoBoT
01-27-2004, 07:45 PM
duh, i am slow , you said that , i was just clicking on the .exe, not passing the stuff to it, silly me :blush:

i need to RTFM ;)

thank you

Paratima
01-27-2004, 08:33 PM
The PROBLEM is they keep changing the stinkin' manual! :swear: ;)

edorajh
01-28-2004, 05:02 AM
It seems that my client can't find SuperNode. It doesn't do anything after this message:

0128-105824| Searching for route to SuperNode server...
0128-105828| Using route 64.71.165.209.

Is that normal or is it just me?

Paratima
01-28-2004, 08:19 AM
HOPEFULLY (!!) your clients will be getting work today (Wednesday). :rolleyes:

PY 222
01-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Well according to the Chessbrain website, we should already be getting work from them.

Hmmm... I wonder what is happening over there!

willy1
01-28-2004, 01:22 PM
It's the night before the World Recod Attempt -

Has anyone seen our SuperNode? :confused:

Maybe CJ's PCs don't speak Danish :)

rshepard
01-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Don't know if this is a hopefull sign or not:

SuperNodeStats (http://www.chessbrain.net/supernodestats.html)

looks like the processes graph (bottom of the page) is ramping up

PY 222
01-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Its a sign, but I still don't see any active machines.

Lets all just be patient.

In the mean time, go borg more machines. :D

Paratima
01-28-2004, 05:43 PM
No effing proxy support, so half of us can't run at work. No supernode so's we can test. What a snoozer this is! :sleepy:

No coordinuffination! Wake us up for the 2005 WRA.

PCZ
01-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Paratima

What do you mean no proxy support ?

Some of my clients at work are running through a proxy.

Paratima
01-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Mine wouldn't, before the last set of changes. I haven't been able to test with the latest version because of the supernode being down.

I would love to run this on my work farm, but if I can't test successfully, I'm not likely to spend all tomorrow night deploying! As it stands, my 3 or 4 home boxen is all it gets!

You're reasonably sure it selects the indicated port? If you tell me it works OK, then I'll try a few setups tonight through my VPN.

PCZ
01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Works ok through a proxy for me.
My proxy uses the standard squid port 3128.

If your proxy requires authentication it wont work as there is no way of supplying a username/password.

Paratima
01-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I've got a proxy. I'll try it in the morning. Maybe I'll be some help on this one, after all.

Thanks! :thumbs:

ECL
01-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Is anyone else seeing the Windows client ignoring the configuration file?

I've commented out the monitor line, and specified my account number in accordance with the instructions, but when I run the client I get this output in the abysmally sluggish window:
0128-200131| Version: v3.0126.02
0128-200131| Network monitor server at: 127.0.0.1
0128-200131| Initial bootstrap process complete.
0128-200131| User account set to: 20

This doesn't look at all like the monitor server is disabled, and my account number isn't 20. Naturally, the Linux client shows substantially different output. It claims to be reading the local conf file, which is a plus, but doesn't say which account it's using, which is a minus.

If you run the Win client from the command line (cbpncli.exe cbspn.conf) or the equivalent shortcut you don't get a window but a cbpncli task appears in the task list. What settings is it using under these circumstances? Is this client really working? Would it kill this CJ guy to include some logging capability in his software?

Welnic
01-29-2004, 04:00 AM
The windows client uses some other .conf file hidden in some windows directory from hell unless you specify the one that you want when you start it up. Way up in this thread there is what you need to actually use the .conf file in the directory.

ECL
01-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Welnic
The windows client uses some other .conf file hidden in some windows directory from hell unless you specify the one that you want when you start it up. Way up in this thread there is what you need to actually use the .conf file in the directory.

The directions at the start of the thread are for installing this thing as a service, which I never do with software that hasn't undergone rigorous QA testing.

I've done some sniffing around, and found that there are registry keys which actually control the client, not some mysterious "hidden" conf file or the non-mysterious visible conf file. If you use the official installer, the keys are installed, but if you just drag the client executable from another machine you don't get them. The program then defaults to either not seeing the conf file (if you start the program by clicking on the exe) or possibly using the conf file if it's passed as a command-line argument. (I say "possibly" because nobody has stats up yet and I can't see what account my clients contributed to overnight.)

If you want to run this thing as a regular executable with a window instead of an invisible process, here's what you can do:
1) run the official installer. This gets you the registry keys.
or
2) Manually add the registry keys using Regedit. The important ones (to me) are:
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ChessBrain\DeskTop\HidePeerNodes
and
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ChessBrain\DeskTop\Registered

Both are REG_DWORD. HidePeerNodes should be 1 for hidden, 0 for visible. Registered is your account number, and be careful of the hex/decimal distinction.

The other settings governing proxy and monitor stuff are accessible once the client is visible. The client will then save everything to the registry.

willy1
01-29-2004, 12:47 PM
That is WAAAY too much work - You're making it too hard.

You can run the client under Windows from the command line using

[install path]cbpncli.exe 1,[location of .conf file]cbspn.conf or from a batch file using the same syntax

Something like
c:\CB\cbpncli.exe 1,cbspn.conf if the .conf file is in the same location.

The '1' parameter tells the exe to run in visible mode, otherwise you can run it hidden using '0' in the command.

You don't need the registry crap to run it in CLI mode, but make sure you put your UserId in the cbspn.conf file !! Once the cbspn.conf is configured, you can use it for each instance of ChessBrain if you're running multi-CPU, or just copy it with the exe to each machine. Never need to run the install after the first time.

rshepard
01-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Personally I think the above method is the way to go-- I have one box that actually has the installation of the client, and then have all my other boxes point to it to start up their instances. Seems to work fine, plus you only have to upgrade the client in one location using this method.

FoBoT
01-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by rshepard
Personally I think the above method is the way to go-- I have one box that actually has the installation of the client, and then have all my other boxes point to it to start up their instances. Seems to work fine, plus you only have to upgrade the client in one location using this method.

uh, so you have the .exe and .conf file and a .bat file to run the mode you want on a share

then you just map the share to 153 pc's , and run the .bat directly from the share?

that sounds easy for my setup, perhaps i should try that

PCZ
01-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Fobot

I tried running from a network share at work and it works ok.

I shared the directory as cb.
The IP address of the machine with the cb share is 172.31.100.10

By typing:

//172.31.100.10/cb/cbpncli 0,//172.31.100.10/cb

The client loaded and ran ok.
Repeating the above command loaded a second instance ok.

So its
//ip address of server/share name/cbpncli 0,//ip address of server/share name

I used a 1 in place of the 0 and the normal grey info screen ran.

I loaded up a command window using run as {hold shift down and right click]
Using a different account to the one I was logged in with meant that the clients would carry on running when I logged off.

I will use this method for temporary borgs for the WRA.

FoBoT
01-29-2004, 04:07 PM

i better get to it so i can get home before the kids are asleep

running it from a share will be much faster to setup of course :drums: :drums:

ECL
01-29-2004, 06:38 PM
The supernode is back up and handing out work, so you should be able to tell if your clients are working before you head home.

Now, anybody got a scoop on the stats? Any chance we'll see some this evening?

FoBoT
01-29-2004, 06:44 PM
so the WRA is only about number of actual pc's , so running multiple instances on same pc's tonight will only get me/us more stats, right?

willy1
01-29-2004, 06:50 PM
That is correct, as CJ explained it.

cygnussphere
01-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I believe but am not sure that the WRA will be treated as a match in addition to trying to set the WRA. So WU's will be important.

:tempted:

:evil:

:cheers:

FoBoT
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
sorry to be a PITA , but

is there any way to confirm with the screen output that my UID is in the .conf file correctly/that is being used?

i am using the "1" switch to display the output and i see
"Using configuration file from: .\cbspn.conf"

and i have my UID in that file, i guess i just don't have a warm/fuzzy with this new way of doing it :bath:

i am getting work :drums:

should the last line be

#netmon=127.0.0.1
or
netmon=127.0.0.1

if i am not using a peernode monitor?

i am going to run 20 instances on my 1GB RAM boxen :neener:

rshepard
01-29-2004, 08:18 PM
The last line should be netmon=*
If you're not using a monitor, it will lose time looking for it if you enter an IP address.

If your UserID # is in the conf file, and you're forcing the client to use that file, then you're good to go in that respect.

FoBoT
01-29-2004, 08:36 PM
holy crap

so is there a "peernode monitor" that works with the phase 3 client? if so, where can i get it?

:help:

thank you :notworthy

willy1
01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Peernode monitors (http://www.chessbrain.net/downloads-contributed.html)

Take your pick. I know the Java CB MOC works with the Phase 3 windows client

PCZ
01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
cbmoc

works fine with phase 3 clients.

get it here (http://www.blivion.com/cb/cbmoc.jar)

you will probably need to install java as well

download from here (http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp)

FoBoT
01-29-2004, 08:58 PM
thanks everyone, my wife's going to start paging me soon :wife:

:blush:

but i'll have about 50 boxen online for the WRA :drums:

uhg!!

do i have to get work on a boxen before it will talk to the peernode monitor? it looks like the super node server thingy stopped giving out work :cry:

i have no active peer nodes showing in my CD MOC :bonk:

PCZ
01-30-2004, 04:01 AM
Fobot

Opologies if I am stating the obvious here.
You have put the IP address of the server running cbmoc into the netmon section of the cbspn.conf file ? {and restarted your clients}

I wish the supernode could be left running for longer periods it is making setting up the clients very hard.

Thor
01-30-2004, 06:05 AM
yep thats makes it really hard indeed...I'm trying to bring 3-4 machines up and running for tonight...

Greets Thor

Thor
01-30-2004, 09:27 AM
did anybody notice: the windows client uses only about 3MB of RAM, at least on my two machines...

Is there anyway to increase the RAM usage of the client?
thats probably why it is so dead slow....

Greets Thor

PCZ
01-30-2004, 09:45 AM
When the client starts working the memory usage will increase to around 20mb

Thor
01-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Well, I checked while it was calculating a move...around 3MB not more, not less
got about 50% of the cputime while df was also running....

Greets Thor

FoBoT
01-30-2004, 11:17 AM
:spank:

i figured out why my CB MOC wasn't displaying anything

apparently you have to run CB on the box with CB MOC to get it started :haddock:

once i started CB on my monitoring box, the CB MOC display populated itself right up with all my boxen on my LAN

cygnussphere
01-30-2004, 11:35 AM
:rotfl:

FoBoT
01-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by cygnussphere
:rotfl:

little moon :moon:

BIG MOON http://www.anton-heyboer.org/i_ching/images_yi/moons/16-big-moon.jpg

:p

PCZ
01-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I wish my cbmoc screen had a lot more blue and a lot less red :swear:

FoBoT
01-30-2004, 04:18 PM
it was going good there for about 30 minutes (about 20 minutes ago)

out of my 62 nodes listed, about 25 were blue/black

now they are all red again :cry:

i am going to shut most of them down before leaving work today (about 3-4 hours from now) , not much point :|punch|:

willy1
01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Things seem to be moving again.

I've been watching the match progress on the java viewer - kind of fun.

FoBoT
01-30-2004, 05:47 PM
i am red

as far as the game, i don't know anything about chess, but isn't he spanking us/chessbrain :spank:

PY 222
01-30-2004, 05:48 PM
I've been watching it too but unfortunately I don't even know who has the upper hand.

So, can anybody in here do some detailed analysis.