PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the damn thing to work

magnav0x
01-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Well I figured I'd help out in D2OL some, but have been unable to get this damn thing to run on my Linux box. Using the non-gui installer I altered all the paths accordingly in the D2OL.lax file and when I execute D2OL I just get a load of java errors :bang: How do you get this blasted thing to run in CLI mode?! It says to see the readme for info running in CLI mode, but it doesn't mention how to launch it in CLI mode.

magnav0x
01-31-2004, 05:36 PM
FUBAR, I actualy "read" it this time and I found it :D

magnav0x
01-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Ok well I was able to start it up and put my e-mail address in but after I put in my e-mail address I get:

GUI OutputStream] FATAL [com.sengent.d2ol.node.gui.GUIController] Error Initializing GUIController.
GUI OutputStream] java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

I used both "non-gui" start ups and I still get an error about it not being able to open the damn gui. Can this thing be ran without the GUI controller or not?

./D2OL controller:file
./D2OL controller:cli

rshepard
01-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Are you trying to run it in a console window? If so, try switching to a virtual terminal and running it from there- I just tried it that way and the CLI option runs OK. It may be balking at being run inside the X session.....

magnav0x
01-31-2004, 06:47 PM
I was running via SSH. Apparently by default the client automaticaly tries to load the GUI controller even when launching in CLI mode. I changed the value from the CLI console and fixed the error. Got it running as a background process in file mode now. D2OL perform better on AMD or Intel nodes?

PCZ
02-01-2004, 04:44 PM
magnav0x

I was running D2OL on my PXE nodes in controller:file mode

They crunched ok but there was a small problem that you should be aware of.

The output from the nodes was good for the first day then they slowed a bit on the second day of running.
I didn't worry about this thinking I just had a higher than normal amount of slow WU's.
On the third day of running the output was only 50% of the first day.

Everything looked ok memory wise and the client was using 99% of the CPU as it should be, but the clients had definitely slowed down.

I decided a reboot was in order and the clients immediately purked up and the output was back to normal.

A couple of days later and the slow crunching was evident again

I had a trawl round the D2OL forums and found others had noticed this behaviour
also

magnav0x
02-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Any possible work arounds for this that you have found PCZ, because I need to be able to run this in file mode as well unattended. I'd rather not have to reboot the machine every other day. I also let the client complete about 4 candidates and upload them, but I never recieved anything in the stats for it :(

matrix_fan
02-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Did ya already add the specific nodeto your account? http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp

magnav0x
02-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah actualy I figured that out like 10 minutes after I posted :blush: