PDA

View Full Version : Free-DC server is very slow.

PCZ
02-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Dyyryath
Somethings not well.

Bok
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
It's just the last hop too. I'm getting 680ms on that one. I'm on the same network (nc.rr.com) and that's running ok as far as I can tell..

Bok

PY 222
02-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Its very slow from my end as well.

I am in San Jose, CA.

Help Dyy :Pokes:

magicfan241
02-04-2004, 06:35 PM
vvvveeerrryyyy sssllloooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

hhhhheeeeeellllllppppp ttttthhhhheeeee seeerrrrrvvvveeeerrrrr dddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyrrrrrryyyyyyyaaaaaattttthhhhhhhh,
ppppllllleeeeeeaaaassssseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmaaaagggiiicccffffaaaannn222244441111

magnav0x
02-04-2004, 08:06 PM
erm....ditto from Dallas

Paratima
02-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Ditto from Florida and his Arachnid stats pages also. Probably fouled plugs.

I've emailed Dyy. Hard to tell what he might be up to at any given moment, though. ;)

tim
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Up in Washington state it's two to 5 seconds to send a page. Usually it's less than one. It's livable but unusual.

Dyyryath
02-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Heh, I've got one word for you: bittorrent. :D

It should be better now. ;)

RacerX
02-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Much better!!!

Thank you, Dyy. :notworthy

the-mk
02-05-2004, 06:28 AM
That's what I call speed :D

It's much better now!

18 hours ago I was waiting for the Free-DC-stats-page (http://stats.zerothelement.com/cgi-bin/distributed-folding/render-users.pl?team=5) more than 5 minutes... today they are here in a few seconds!

:thumbs: :notworthy Dyyryath :notworthy

Moogie
02-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Much better out here in the land of the peaches!

Thanks Dyy!!!!!

:cheers:

tim
02-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Better than before the slowdown -- muchas garcias!

the-mk
05-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Yes, it is a old thread, but the forum seems to be slow to me.

First call of front page took about ten seconds or more... the next click is better but I thought it was faster some time ago...

Do you experience something similar or is it just me?

PS2pcGAMER
05-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, it is a old thread, but the forum seems to be slow to me.

First call of front page took about ten seconds or more... the next click is better but I thought it was faster some time ago...

Do you experience something similar or is it just me?

I am also experiencing this. I thought it was just me, as all sites are loading slowly for me, but FDC is 2-3x slower than the rest.

Bok
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
It's memory again, as the various stats are growing they are using up more and more memory each time. Things like the Rosetta hosts stats in particular..

Even with 3Gb Ram in it's all being used up.

I need to seperate out the various functions of the perl script which does the updates to try to release memory (perl does not release any memory until the script ends...) which I'm doing in my devel stats, sadly with little help.

Other options, more memory, faster server, seperate server for forum, hosting from home, less frequent updating - I've thought of them all at one time or another, but the main one would almost certainly be to fix the underlying scripts.. now if only there were some perl gurus who would dedicate some time to help me :Pokes: Darkness Productions :looney:

Bok

PS2pcGAMER
05-21-2007, 06:48 PM
It's memory again, as the various stats are growing they are using up more and more memory each time. Things like the Rosetta hosts stats in particular..

I need to seperate out the various functions of the perl script which does the updates to try to release memory (perl does not release any memory until the script ends...) which I'm doing in my devel stats, sadly with little help.

Other options, more memory, faster server, seperate server for forum, hosting from home, less frequent updating - I've thought of them all at one time or another, but the main one would almost certainly be to fix the underlying scripts.. now if only there were some perl gurus who would dedicate some time to help me :Pokes: Darkness Productions :looney:

Bok

No worries. Thanks for the update. :cheers:

LAURENU2
05-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Other options, more memory, faster server, seperate server for forum, hosting from home,
Bok

Bok you are welcome to use my online resources at laurensnet.com
If they would be of use as a server redirect or extra Ghz

I pay for it every month but use it so little:bang:

IronBits
05-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Post the make/model/brand/type/size of the memory modules you need and let's see if we can get that sucker up to 8GB.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the processing power... yet ;)

Bok
05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I have no idea on memory as it's a dedicated server, but I do think I
m wasting memory. My gathering script is one large script.. so, for example when doing some boinc stats, it does the following :

Read in and parse XML files. These are *large* for Rosetta especially with hosts. It's not giving back the memory, so say it's used upto 500Mb at that point.

Then it's reading all users into an array in order to rank them.. quite a chunk of memory.

Then reading all teams into an array in order to rank them.

Ranking all users within teams (not too bad as it will re-use the array)

Reading all hosts into array to rank them.

So, Rosetta alone can consume a lot of memory..

Then if Einstein is running at the same time or CPDN, things get bad...

So, I'm going to experiment right now on breaking that script into pieces and firing them off, one after another, whilst examining memory usage. It'll also give me a chance to redo some of the functions entirelly in mysql.

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I did offer to help but I too one look at the "deval" and my mind went :looney: :crazy: :confused: :eek: in no particular order.

Bok
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I think I've proved to myself that I can get around the memory problems... so a long thought about upgrade has been purchased...costs a little more but I think it'll be worth it.. specs are better :)

The forum won't be slow for too much longer..

Let's all thank Lauren for his generosity in partially paying for the server each month..and everyone who has donated - BlisteringSheep from ArsTechnica and NFlight from AMDUsers especially recently

Bok :thumbs:

PS2pcGAMER
05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
I think I've proved to myself that I can get around the memory problems... so a long thought about upgrade has been purchased...costs a little more but I think it'll be worth it.. specs are better :)

The forum won't be slow for too much longer..

Let's all thank Lauren for his generosity in partially paying for the server each month..and everyone who has donated - BlisteringSheep from ArsTechnica and NFlight from AMDUsers especially recently

Bok :thumbs:

Wow, thanks everyone for their generosity, especially Bok and Lauren. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

LAURENU2
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Well thanks,:blush: but it is a Team effort:thumbs: We all do what we can as a team to be the leaders of the DC community
Bok is the BEST Darn systems admin in the DC community
He makes this run so well around here I think we take it all for granted how much time and effort he puts in here
IronBits is a behind the scenes kind of guy but adds his fair share to the common good
the list would go on and on thought the entire membership
All I can say is We Are A Team Free-DC:thumbs:

LAURENU2
06-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Bok I know it is sad:blush: But there is JUST one thing I do not like about the forum software.
The post writer/editor will take the extra spaces, but will remove them when you _submit reply/save

If I want spacing I am forced to use _ _ _ or ...
It will not allow more then one space between letters.

I know it dose this to save space. And I am not sure if it can be adjusted, but it sure would be nice:rock:

Bok
06-02-2007, 04:58 PM
That's more html than the forum. If you write any html page and put 100 spaces in it will reduce them to one...

Bok

IronBits
06-02-2007, 05:51 PM
You mean like this? :p ;)

t e s t
t e s t
t e s t

Wrap it in {code} t e x t h e r e {/code} Just replace the braces {'s with brackets ['s

LAURENU2
06-02-2007, 07:30 PM
T e s t

TEST
T E S T :umm: Interesting but now it changed the font
So when you add-in a =[code] and a switch it acts like a real text editor
Thanks might come in handy when doing rows and columns

Some day we will live in a perfect world :rock: but to bad I will be dead:rotfl: