PDA

View Full Version : Help me run this client!

Paratima
02-07-2004, 10:02 AM
This appears to be really worthwhile research. I would love to contribute many hours of machine time. There are a few problems I'd like to see the project admins address before I start running it again, to wit:

1. The client uses special ports instead of standard HTTP, so it won't run behind most corporate firewalls.
2. Problem #1 could be solved using proxies. The proxy settings in the .cfg file don't work, and in fact, get reset when you try to use them.
3. The work queue runs out at odd times, leaving machines idle. (Like the whole Christmas break!)
4. The official stats database "loses" team affiliations at odd times.
6. There is no "News" page on the official EON website.

More than anything, especially considering problem #6, it is essential that the project admins post here once in a while so that crunchers can be kept informed.

It looks as though someone spent a lot of time and effort setting up this project, then moved to Madagascar to study something other than long time scale dynamics at the atomic level.

Will an official member of the EON project team please respond?

magnav0x
02-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I would like to also urge the EON creators to keep the users in the know. People like to know what is going on in a project they are dedicating their CPU cycles to. The proxy issues seem to be a major issue as well that are keeping many corporate farmers from praticipating in this project. Other than that, I thought this project was very nice when I was running it.

Bok
02-07-2004, 06:57 PM
The creator of Eon is now working at Los Alamos and is very busy, but I'm sure he'll endeavour to answer the questions when he gets on the board, probably monday.

Bok

Brucifer
02-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Hmmmm....... here we are a week later and still nothing. Sort of surprised about this, but at the same time I guess I'm not. :( I guess Graeme must be running this pretty much himself in his spare time left over from his full time plus job at Los Alamos. Sort got pretty quiet after he left UW.

Darkness Productions
02-16-2004, 08:13 AM
And the Alpha Linux client doesn't contain the eon_client.so that it needs in the tar.gz, so I'm sitting out for a while on a machine.