PDA

View Full Version : heres the way I am doing my computers now :)

Steve_Watkins
04-03-2002, 10:10 PM
In a effort to reduce power consumption, noise and make it easier to remove the heat I have started putting all my computers in a simple rack.

This is the first small one and as soon as I finish adding on a computer room to my home I will strip all remaining cases and mount all the motherboards like this.

The top board is a piece of Phenolic (sp) that I had around the shop. IT is really expensive and I was trying to see if 1/4 " Plexglass would work. I can buy enough of that material to make 20 mounts for only $ 65.00... So far it looks like 1/4 " is just not thick enough to avoid the sag in the middle of the board. I might have to use 3/8 " material on the next board.

Steve_Watkins
04-03-2002, 10:12 PM
this is under my desk

Steve_Watkins
04-03-2002, 10:14 PM
heres the board out of the rack

Steve_Watkins
04-03-2002, 10:15 PM
heres a picture of my new closet :)

Darkness Productions
04-03-2002, 10:46 PM
Steve: Do you think you could give us measuerments of that case? I would love to do something like that!

Also, how (I know this has prolly been answered a million times elsewhere) to you power on the machines (w/o the screwdriver trick)?

Paratima
04-03-2002, 11:05 PM
Also, how many boards do you figure you can stack? Looks like you'd get a pretty fierce heat build-up with more than 5 or 6, unless you do something novel with the cabinet top.

I've been planning something along the same lines, but am worried about heat dissipation.:confused:

Alpha_7
04-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Thats awesome :) Its so good I nearly crapped my pants.. (ninja joke). I had to show my finance that one as shes always at me about my computers cluttering up the place and the huge power bills.

Steve, how much is your powerbills, what sort of money per month does your farm consume ?

The rack is a sweet idea.. :) u could maybe avoid some of the sag, if you reinforced it with some small beams of wood..
although that might stuff up your sliding design.

Steve_Watkins
04-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Alpha.. I don't know how much it costs :) I am afraid to ask. ITs one of my only hobbies now so the wife is kind :)

I though about a piece metal rod under each slot,, Think I will just use a thicker plastic or a metal sheet.

Paratima,

I will have at least 18 computers in the full size version. IT will have either its own A/C unit or a well designed intake and exaust system. The 10 CPU's in the closet require a 8 " exaust fan in the ceiling. I also have a A/C duct dumping into that closet :)

Glen

I am using the screw driver trick now.. BUT soon I will make a small panel for each board. They will have a reset button and a power switch and If I get time a LED for the power and HD....

Paratima
04-04-2002, 10:05 PM
Wow! :eek: That's one warm stack o' crunchers!

Thanks, Steve. Very educational. Starting my own now, although maybe not quite on that scale... :D

EGhAd
04-04-2002, 10:53 PM
dayumm.............

My wife would divorce me..LOL

Alpha_7
04-04-2002, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately I dont have any cupboards that I can convert, not in this house... but next time we are house hunting... I'll be keeping an eye out :D

I think its best you everyone doesn't know the electricity bill :)

Steve_Watkins
04-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Glen

Today I was scouting the shops and ran across everything I need to make a switch panel for the caseless boards!

One store had small switches already made up with a 8 " wire and connector! Just plug it in and there is your off and reset switch.

The second store had prewired Led's !!!!! Green for power and amber for HD Led. I lucked out :)

75 cents for each LED and 2 bucks for each switch.... I bough enough for 15 boards because who knows when I will ever find these again....

Sunday I will make a small panel and take a picture for you.

Steve

Alpha_7
04-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Lucky break :) And you managed to get it all cheap too :)

Will be waiting for those pics :)

Later,
Alpha_7