PDA

View Full Version : Anyone?

Darkness Productions
02-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Anyone still running F@H? We're out of the top 100 in this project, so I thought I'd ask...

FoBoT
02-13-2004, 04:49 PM
not at the moment

i am still somewhat bitter about GAH :rolleyes:

:haddock:

ECL
02-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Ha! We're so idle on this project that Dyyryath isn't even tracking us any more.

I can't remember what it was about this project that annoyed me. I may fire up the client and see what's what.

Supp
02-13-2004, 06:08 PM
1 box here...most of troubles which caused our departure are long gone - servers *seems* more stable, clients too...for last 2 weeks no problem here.

Paratima
02-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Admins who wouldn't communicate, non-communicative admins, and tight-lipped, tight-assed admins who never communicated are the 3 main troubles I recall. Somebody named Vijay and another one called something else, and then the other one, who was associated mostly with GAH until they turned it inside-out. :rolleyes: And they weren't very responsive, either. Not that I'm bitter about it, or anything.

I understand that they have solved most of the technical issues.

Supp
02-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Truth, of course *humans are still the same*
No caching on FAH, 100 times requested, 100 times neglected, etc., GAH's not updated very often...yea, there's still much space for improvement!

Richard Clyne
02-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Admins who wouldn't communicate, non-communicative admins, and tight-lipped, tight-assed admins who never communicated are the 3 main troubles I recall. Somebody named Vijay and another one called something else, and then the other one, who was associated mostly with GAH until they turned it inside-out. :rolleyes: And they weren't very responsive, either. Not that I'm bitter about it, or anything.

I think you missed out the "lack of communications" from your list. :)

Paratima
02-13-2004, 10:32 PM
I was amazed when I got to DF and Howard conversed with us and actually worked overtime to handle our gripes. Amazed, nay, dumbfounded. Awestruck, even.

Unfortunately, the EON project, for which I had such great hopes, seems to be run like FAH.

Darkness Productions
02-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Was just curious as I'm planning to toss a box on here at some point, and was wondering if anyone else out there was running as well...

Paratima
02-14-2004, 04:11 PM
JTrinkle was running it, last time I looked. Haven't looked lately. Wouldn't know where to.

ECL
02-14-2004, 07:40 PM
OK, I remember what annoys me about this project. It's slow. About 40 hrs per work-unit on my box. In September I deemed this to be too slow. Of course, since then I've also done a bunch of Gimps exponents, which changes your whole notion of what makes for a slow work unit.

I'm going to complete the WU I'm presently working on and see how many points I get, then I'll decide whether to continue with FAH on a more regular basis.

Supp
02-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Pray you won't get old TINKER WU, 'cause they're sloooow as hell. Gromacs runs much faster.

ECL
02-15-2004, 08:09 PM
I did indeed get one of the dreaded Tinker variety. Not a totally friendly "welcome back" from our friends at Stanford.

Brucifer
03-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Haven't done any f@h since ver fah3. Since I'm not having much luck at uploading stuff from DF, I figured I'd give this a try again. Should eventually show up as Brucifer2 in the stats, assuming that this is team #758. I have one instance running on a HT enabled 2.4c for starters.

IronBits
09-28-2004, 12:54 AM
^bump^ for those considering this project, folding proteins like DF...
Condor, how does it smoke? (dances with wolves) :D

Welnic
09-28-2004, 01:59 AM
I have been running it on one box for about the last year with Team MacNN. It seems to be stable and I have not had any trouble with the client interfering with other programs. I haven't run the new version 5, which I think is just for windows. No, I just checked, it is also for linux and OSX. I'll have to upgrade.

I have heard that there is a service install for windows. It had a switch that supported running it as a service before, but you had to get it installed yourself. No problems with either linux or OSX, but there were a few switches that were only supported on windows. I always run with the -local switch. A lot of my boxen are duals, and even on the singles I would rather know the files are in the folder than off in some weird system folder somewhere.

For a long time the reference computer was some slow antique computer without any advanced instruction sets like 3DNow, Altivec, or SSE. The dreaded Tinker work units didn't use those instruction sets anyway, so if you got a Tinker to work on then you just ran it at some multiple of how much faster your clock speed was than the reference computer. This was very painful for someone with a 800MHz G4. The gromacs work units used the advanced instruction sets, so on a modern processor a gromac unit would run 40 times faster (<- guess), so you would get way more points for those than the Tinkers for the time they took to run, since on the antique reference machine the gromacs running without the fancy instruction sets ran just as slow as the Tinkers. And the points for each protein are determined by how fast the reference machine takes to run one.

They recently changed the reference machine to a P4, so the gromacs are no longer way better than the Tinkers. Actually, an Athlon will run a Tinker faster than a P4, so you get more points with Tinkers on those.

One of the reasons that I don't feel like jumping into this is I think that Paratima's comment above is so funny that I should honor that and stay away.

IronBits
09-28-2004, 09:01 AM
I see it is still very sensitive to overclocking :cry:
The boxen I was trying to run it on, runs all projects, except F@H...
the bitter/sweet of this project comes rushing back :(

-Xp-
10-01-2004, 05:34 AM
My 241-point WU goes to a team called "ENRED" because I mistyped Team # 758 (Free-DC) to 738.:bang: :bonk:

IronBits
10-01-2004, 07:34 AM
:rotfl: I did 768, but, saw the error before the WU finished :crazy:

IronBits
10-01-2004, 08:15 AM
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=758

It shows Free-DC passing US-Distributed in 60 days :p

QIbHom
10-01-2004, 05:51 PM
I have one computer on this, and if the Linux install is as polite, easy and configurable as the Windoze install, this is where me and mine will camp until DF comes back.

Also tried FAD, but the Windows install pissed me off (glitzy, CPU sucking eye-candy that I couldn't turn off), and the WUs were even slower than F@H (not that I care about slow WUs, I considered Lifemapper, even).

GHOST
10-01-2004, 07:32 PM
that one computer is putting out a lot of work!

F@H is my second choice too.

QIbHom
10-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Well, for 3 days, Ghost, I was wondering if it'd every do anything, or if I'd messed up the install, and accidentally joined Team Pancake, or something.

That comp is one of 9 I only get to run dc on occasionally. The other 5 can run it all the time. Might be fun. Would be more fun if people were around to push me, and convince me to get my gf's ex-boyfriend to let me borg his boxes again and stuff like that...<g>