PDA

View Full Version : GRRR Red Hat 9

Fozzie
02-16-2004, 07:10 AM
I have just installed RH9 on a Compaq pro Workstation 5100. The install went fine but when I rebooted to run it it just hangs after the checking module dependecies section, which goes through as OK.

I have tried both the SMP and non-SMP options from the GRUB screen.

Mandrake 9 worked but didn't detect both CPUs, Red Hat 7 worked fine and did detect both.

Am I going to have to reinstall RH7 and make the best of it.

Linux noob alert so treat me with Homer Simpson like tech gloves.

Fozzie
02-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Posting this on Red hat 9 using Mozilla.

Cool now got to ty and sus out how to transer files between Win XP and this over Ethernet.

Anyone gonna give me a clue. :E

magicfan241
02-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Fozzie, I have just used a CD-RW to move all of my files over. It doesn't hurt that I can fit the whole old HDD on 5 CD-RW's (3.2 GB HDD)

I still have not convinced the computer that there are other computers on the network......

magicfan241

Bok
02-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Fozzie, you should be able to mount your windows shares fairly easily

for instance, say you have a share named 'public' on a winXP box with IP = 192.168.0.2

in linux

mkdir -p /mnt/public

mount -t smbfs -o username,password //192.168.0.2/public /mnt/public

replace username & password with your own

This is dependant on having samba client installed but it should be with the default RH9 install.

Bok

If you install samba (server) you can set up shares on linux to go the other way around fairly easily.

magnav0x
02-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Fozzie the easiest way would probably be to SSH (just like Telnet, but more secure) it if you aren't familiar with configuring SAMBA shares on Linux. I would suggest using SSH Secure Shell from ssh.com.

http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html

It has a built in file transfer utility to transfer files easily over SSH.

the-mk
02-20-2004, 04:26 PM
How to share files between windows and linux:

To mount a windows-share into your linux do the following command:
mount -t smbfs -o username=[username-of-windows-pc],password=[password] //[IP-of-windows-pc]/[share-name] /[directory-where-you-want-to-mount-it-to-into-the-linux-filesystem]

Bok was faster than me :bang:

Fozzie
02-20-2004, 04:52 PM
I clicked on a Network server link and lo and behold I saw my LAN and XP box.

Thought, wow that was easy.

Gonna delve some more, when I get some time.

I have a twin PPro 200 box now on linux, with spare cycles going begging, what's a good DC project to run on it. I run DF on enough already and D2OL is pretty much sorted. So something no net would be best.

I've already run Lifemapper, Chessbrain and GIMPS thought I would broaden my horizons while learning some Linux.

Been fun so far, well once I got the box up and running. :D

Bok
02-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Eon is great on linux, so much faster than windows.. but it needs a net connection, other than that I would maybe run OGR25 or RC572. They are very stable clients and run quite well on slower machines :)

Bok

magnav0x
02-20-2004, 05:39 PM
DPAD would be perfect, but you'd have to utilize wine to run it on linux as they stopped updating the linux ports :rolleyes: You could try out DHEP as long as you have java installed and if you don't it would give you an excuse to install it :cool: