PDA

View Full Version : Weird terminal, help

Fozzie
02-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I bring up a terminal in RH9 and try to type CD home and it closes the terminal???

???

I am trying to unzip and untar D2OL and TSC on my linux box but am getting nowhere.

Any help with the commands would be gratefully received, and some info on how to run a terminal that I can use.

:bang:

rshepard
02-23-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm surprised that it's closing the terminal-- it should give an error msg, I would think.
In any case, if you have the tarballs in the home directory, type cd /home and it should go there. If you have them in your user home directory, then you would need to use
cd /home/<name of your user home directory>

I don't know what terminals you have installed by default; if you are running KDE you might try issuing the command konsole from the "Run command" entry in the menu and see if that gives you a usable terminal

magnav0x
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Type: cd ~

That'll take you to your home directory no matter what user you are logged in as.

Fozzie
02-23-2004, 01:19 PM
now how do I unzip and untar the files

rshepard
02-23-2004, 01:26 PM
from the command line:
tar -xvzf <filename> should get it if they are tar'd

I usually do mine from the Konqueror filemanager, where you can rt-click the file and select
Action>extract here (I think) and it will drop it into a folder.

Hold it- the D2OL and TSC files aren't tar or zipped if you use the GUI installer- you just need to run the bin file
like so:
sh ./installCommunityTSC.bin

Fozzie
02-23-2004, 04:45 PM
I have unzipped and untarred it??

Now I don't know what to do.

rshepard
02-23-2004, 04:59 PM
change to the directory you unzipped it to and find the D2OL executable (it will be under the D2OL directory, or the CommunityTSC directory)
start it up with the command ./D2OL