PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to server

willy1
02-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Trying to get task from server //139.184.166.27/KingKong
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 139.184.166.27; nested ex
ception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
No worries, server is probably being restarted.

New install today. The stats page looks like work is progressing on the current project, so I assume the server is up.

Does this client use non-standard ports? If so, it would be nice to note that on the download page in the installation instructions.

I'm going to be mightily PO'd if I downloaded the huge Sun Java client to run this, and then find out it doesn't play nice with firewalls.

Frustrated again

willy1

michaelgarvie
02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Have you read the FAQ section on Proxy acces?

willy1
02-23-2004, 04:10 PM
There was no mention of a proxy faq on the download/installation page.

The PC is behind a firewall, no proxy, and only standard ports are allowed - ftp, http

You faq doesn't say what port the client uses.

michaelgarvie
02-24-2004, 04:56 AM
What about the
I'm behind a firewall, can I connect through a proxy? section?

http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe/faq.php#proxy

willy1
02-24-2004, 09:59 AM
How about the PC is behind a firewall and NO proxy server faq?

Just my Tough Luck , eh?

I really don't understand DC projects that feel the need to use non-standard ports, and expect the farm users to jump through hoops trying to connect.

michaelgarvie
02-24-2004, 01:46 PM
sorry about this, I would like to be able to make java RMI work with ports below 1024 but i'm not sure its possible. :trash:

willy1
02-25-2004, 02:07 PM
The Sun Java RMI Documentation (http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/rmi/reference/docs/index.html) FAQ appears to provide some solutions to this issue -

The most conservative approach, assuming no help from the client firewall administrators, is:
* Avoid using callback objects

* Run your servers on `public' ports such as 80, 81, 8001, or 443

* If the servers are not running on port 80, either:
- Put a CGI-capable HTTP server on port 80 using the java-rmi.cgi script; or
- Run a port redirector (such as DeleGate) on port 80, which will accept connections and immediately connect to the real server port to pass bytes back and forth. This will cause getClientHost() to return misleading information, so don't make the Registry available through this method unless it's on a different host.

The referenced java-rmi.cgi script is provided with the Java RMI SDK.

HTH

willy1

michaelgarvie
03-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks a lot Willy for your help. I've now got a test server up and running on port 80. If Willy or anyone else behind a firewall could please try out the following this would be great:

Edit your islands launching script so that instead of:
... -jar ITClient.jar 139.184.166.27 KingKong ...
it says
... -jar ITClient.jar 139.184.166.27:80 Transformers ...

If your client downlaods the task and starts running it then this is fine, you won't appear on the main stats because this is a completely separate server. However if this does work I'll move on to merging two servers into one.

Cheers,
Miguel

PlanetScorp
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
hi, i have the same problems as willy.

ive installed DHE today and im a completly new user => noob ;)

ok, after managing the manual installation under winxp (with GUI), i executed the batch file, and got the same error as willy:.

Trying to get task from server //139.184.166.27/KingKong
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 139.184.166.27; nested ex
ception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
No worries, server is probably being restarted.

one thing that could interrupt the connection between the client and ur server is my router. he blocks incomming traffic which is not requested by my ps, eg an apache server does not work without forwarding port 80.
then my apache server is reachable through the net.
in the faq is a remark that port 1777 has to be opend, so i opend it in my router configuration, but nothing changed.
the stats page works normally so i guess the server is up, but it cant be pinged what should be normal accourding to the faq.
Ive tried to connect during the whole day, so i guess the problem is on my pc and not on the server.
im running a software firewall , but i allowed java.exe full access to the internet. but the firewall shows up that the client is always trying to connect on different ports, each time i run it (2309 for example)

now who can help me with my problem? is there a special port that needs to be forwarded for the client?

thx 4 ur support in advance

PS: maybe if i find the time ill get in contact with one of the project leaders to concipate a new logo/homepage, but cant promise this by now

PPS: sry 4 my wired english :crazy:

meckano
04-19-2004, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by miguelgarvie
[B]Thanks a lot Willy for your help. I've now got a test server up and running on port 80. If Willy or anyone else behind a firewall could please try out the following this would be great:

it says

I have the non gui installed as per my small help page:
http://www.clubplus.net/~dbrown/dhep/helpinfo.htm
- but need a little more direction, like exactly where to do changes :D, to help your testing.

Tks. :drums:

willy1
04-19-2004, 06:53 PM
WHOA!

I missed the updates on this thread completely. That's what I get for trying to defend our DF position.

I'll give this a shot right away, and see if it works.

willy1
04-19-2004, 07:22 PM
No reply from that port 80 server from inside our firewall.

I'll try from a different location in a few hours.

willy1

PlanetScorp
04-20-2004, 01:02 AM
this port 80 method does not work, i think this is because he started the server on march 11th only for testing, and shut it down until now.
unfortunately i have no different location to test the project so pls post the results willy if you get different ones

Notes:
- The IP address needed to be open is: 139.184.166.27, and the ports: 1099 and 2010.
- - I now have 4 ports to the above address. (I stopped some and java stayed at 0%.)

ok, ive opend 1099 and 2010 for incoming traffic on my router configuration, but this did not change anything. what are the other 4 ports you have?

michaelgarvie
04-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by PlanetScorp
this port 80 method does not work, i think this is because he started the server on march 11th only for testing, and shut it down until now.

Yup that's right. I've restarted the port 80 test server so if anyone wants to test this from behind a proxy please do so now.

PlanetScorp
04-20-2004, 01:13 PM
hi, thanks for your fast reaction

the connection no works for me with no other changes (eg port 80)

i thing the problem was your firewall

willy1
04-20-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm getting an error right after the getting task from server message.

java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling return; nested exception is:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: distrit.server.SingleServerWrapper_Stub

RestartInteractiveTaskClientEvent: The server might have been restarted with new versions of classes, client should be restarted just in case.

then it tries to restart.

I'm running IslandNT.bat in a command window.

PlanetScorp
04-20-2004, 04:13 PM
hmm maybe your running an old java version. i have 1.4.2 and everything works fine.

if you have an older one, upgrade it at java.sun.com

willy1
04-20-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm running the Sun 1.4.2 server version.

I also downloaded the current ITClient.jar and java.policy files.

meckano
04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
The other ports I have are in the 3x xxx and maybe the 5x xxx area.
- Stopping them halted processing.

Still looking for detailed directions to do this port 80 test.

michaelgarvie
04-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Hi Meckano, let me know how it goes with this, the instructions are simple:

it says

If your client downlaods the task and starts running it then this is fine, you won't appear on the main stats because this is a completely separate server. However if this does work I'll move on to merging two servers into one.

meckano
04-21-2004, 06:40 AM
easy, cool, just what I'm looking for. let me know when you write them up :)

meckano
12-19-2004, 03:41 PM
I am assuming you mean the wrapper.conf file