PDA

View Full Version : New Member Service

PY 222
02-25-2004, 03:42 AM
Directly from cjus himself. From this post (http://www.chessbrain.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=726) in their forum.

New member service

The membership system now displays all of your registered machines which have connected to the SuperNode server. Using this new service you'll be able to see each machine's stats along with when it last connected. You'll also be able to track the client version number for each machine.

http://www.chessbrain.net/member

This new service is experiemental... please send your comments to:
support@chessbrain.net

- CJ

I find the information really helpful and very interesting as it shows you how much work each machine is doing.

Highly recommend that you folks check it out as well. :thumbs:

the-mk
02-25-2004, 05:10 AM
Looks great!

Now I have to find out, how much clients I should run and how I should run them (as a service, with or without cbspn.conf... a lot of questions)...

PCZ
02-25-2004, 05:51 AM
I checked my machine stats and one thing that was very obvious was the large discrepancy between the output of my linux and windows PC's.

The linux client is a lot slower.

wirthi
02-25-2004, 05:56 AM
I have currently 10 clients running (all of them as gui-clients): 6 on my notebook, 4 on my desktop.

Still, that page only displays 3 of them (2 of my laptop, 1 on the desktop). Strange ....

Additionally, my clients only accepted 197 of 5198 jobs. What does that mean? I remember the server often discards results if it took to long to calculate them (and somebody else was faster). Does that mean my computers are to slow? (P4-2.2 Ghz and 1.5 Ghz) ???

Wirthi

PCZ
02-25-2004, 06:13 AM
Wirthi

The number of machines you have credited to you is not the number of clients.
Each machine is identified by its mac address.

It doesn't matter if you have 1 client or 100 clients running on a PC it is just one machine.

The reason you are seeing a low percentage of jobs accepted is they are taking to long to process on your machine and faster PC's have already done the tasks.
This gets worse as the number of clients per CPU increases.

Running lots of clients per CPU may increase your stats slightly but the work returned to the supernode is in the main useless.
Others will have already already processed the same jobs.

If you want to increase the number of jobs accepted use faster CPU's and less clients per CPU.

FoBoT
02-25-2004, 09:19 AM
if it uses the mac address, is the client reading it? or is it using the public interface ?
with many machines behind a NAT, how will they show? one machine with the NAT box public interface?

hmmm... need to check this out

**EDIT**

i see , this is all info the client is sending back with the job results , hmmm...

ok, time for a 3rd party add-on :|party|:

somebody needs to write something to read that page of my info in and allow querys against it :D

matrix_fan
02-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Uh-oh, i changed my network card and now it's got a different mac ddress and it's showing up as a different machine.........

wirthi
02-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
Wirthi

The number of machines you have credited to you is not the number of clients.
Each machine is identified by its mac address.

It doesn't matter if you have 1 client or 100 clients running on a PC it is just one machine.

The reason you are seeing a low percentage of jobs accepted is they are taking to long to process on your machine and faster PC's have already done the tasks.
This gets worse as the number of clients per CPU increases.

Running lots of clients per CPU may increase your stats slightly but the work returned to the supernode is in the main useless.
Others will have already already processed the same jobs.

If you want to increase the number of jobs accepted use faster CPU's and less clients per CPU.
Thanks for the reply.

Workunits accepted: I guessed that's the solution but that doesn't make me happy at all. For the past few hours I let only one client run on each of my 2 PCs. During that time the ratio of acceptet units rose from 1/26 (overall) to 1/16 (past ~4 hours).

Wow. That means that ~5% of my work is used and the rest discarded. Are my PC really to slow for chessbrain?

rshepard
02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Wow. That means that ~5% of my work is used and the rest discarded. Are my PC really to slow for chessbrain?

I don't think so-- I just checked, and my boxes are running around 1 in 19 accepted,
with a best of 1 in 8 and a worst of 1 in 31. These are all multi-client /box setups.