PDA

View Full Version : interraction user selection

safemode
02-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I vote making interaction frequency not user-selectable. The server should have more control over how islands interract since it has control over the chances of an interaction occuring. I think the server controlling it could result in better populations since it can vary the interaction time of clients based on the current circuit and thus have things tuned "optimally" for each circuit instead of a fixed rate regardless of the circuit that is currently implimented.

safemode
02-27-2004, 01:41 AM
I just wanna explain a bit more why i think this is important. Right now users have the ability to railroad a population by having their interract times set low, and low for one person isn't necessarily low for another under the current implimentation. Interract time should be based on generations ( interract every X number of generations). The X should be determined by the complexity of the circuit. Since users do not usually look over each new circuit and change their interract time accordingly, this needs to be controlled by the server. The server already controls the chances of an actual interraction occuring when a client requests one, but it also needs to set the generation number, telling the client when it should go and request a interraction. Even though you get fast islands interracting more often with this method, (which i believe can also be offset) the difference in interraction can be good, it's just the user ability to control that interraction beyond just having a faster island can be dangerous to an entire population as well as give them the ability to mess with the stats. The current circuit is the largest ever attempted, a user or two could pollute the entire population if they decided to run their islands with an interract time of a minute or so. A short term fix would be a lower limit on interract time controlled by the server. Long term would be some type of benchmark run at client startup and the client uploads it's score to the server, then the server decides based on the current circuit and score what the interract time for that island should be to make it most fair to the rest of the islands or to whatever purpose the evolution of the circuit wants to be favored. Just some ideas anyway.