PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX

K-A
04-05-2002, 05:46 AM
I’m a PC-person and I don’t know anything about Mac. After unpacking the text client for Mac OSX, how do I start to fold. With PC it’s just to double click foldit.bat but this doesn’t work with Mac. Please help and tell me EXACTLY how to start it.
/KA

Shaktai
04-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by K-A
I’m a PC-person and I don’t know anything about Mac. After unpacking the text client for Mac OSX, how do I start to fold. With PC it’s just to double click foldit.bat but this doesn’t work with Mac. Please help and tell me EXACTLY how to start it.
/KA

OS-X is still new enough that the terminal doesn't autostart. Maybe someday when more terminal apps get written for it. You need to start up the terminal first, usually found in Applications/Utilities.

Type cd (for change directory) and then a space. Drag the Distributed Folding folder onto the Terminal window and hit return. This sets the directory (so that your settings, files and work will be saved to the correct folder)

Then type ./foldit and hit return. That is it. The program will start up and you will be off and running. To quit, type the letter Q so that it will save and upload your completed structures. To restart type ./foldit and hit return again.

Old time MacUsers like myself are having to learn a little unix to take advantage of terminal apps since a lot of these apps are written for Unix and then just modified for OS-X which has a Unix foundation. Most Mac apps will startup just by doubleclicking them. Only the terminal (text) apps require the extra steps for now.

Feel free to stop by the Team MacNN (http://team.macnn.com/) forums for any Mac help you need.

:cool:

K-A
04-05-2002, 01:37 PM
Thanx :)
I will try it out soon

[shorty]
04-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Shaktai:
can u tell me how to setup a D.F. Client for a Mac OS version older than OS X? Is it possible or not?

thx

Shaktai
04-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by [shorty]
Shaktai:
can u tell me how to setup a D.F. Client for a Mac OS version older than OS X? Is it possible or not?

thx

The only Mac clients are either Linux, or Darwin/OS-X which is basically Unix. I know of no way to run it under OS-9 or earlier systems unless you had a Unix emulater which I am sure would be slow as all getup if one even exists. You would be better off running the Windows client (non-screensaver) under Virtual PC. Still going to be slow though.

If any one else knows of any alternate ways speak up.

MAD-ness
04-09-2002, 01:07 AM
Why not just get a PC?

/me ducks.

Sorry, I just could NOT resist. ;)

Scotttheking
04-09-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by MAD-ness
Why not just get a PC?

/me ducks.

Sorry, I just could NOT resist. ;)

WHACK :spank: