PDA

View Full Version : Centrino vs P4

magnav0x
03-01-2004, 10:32 PM
How exactly do these new centrino processors compare to the normal p4 mobile processors? I'm curious, because I'm looking into getting another laptop (open to p4, centrino, amd) and I just wanted to know how they equivilate. For example, what is the equivilante processing power of a Centrino 1.5ghz compared to the a normal P4? Is it the same as a P4 1.5, but with less power consumption?

matrix_fan
03-01-2004, 11:21 PM
i'd get da emachines- amd athlon 64-3000 (muahahahaha)

*EDIT*
as for the P4 vs centrino, i dunno, what i DO know is that the athlon 64 has an ok battery life. now am i right or am i right???

Darkness Productions
03-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by matrix_fan
i'd get da emachines- amd athlon 64-3000 (muahahahaha)

I don't quite think that was his question.

mags: I'll see if I can't get a benchmark on a Centrino based machine. I know that people over on Ars are saying that Centrino is bunches faster on S@H, but I can't confirm that.

Fritz
03-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Folks,

For Seti at Home, the Pentium-Ms are much faster than Pentium 4s of the same speed. I have an IBM laptop with a P-M 1.6Ghz chip and it averages about 2:12
over a great number of WUs( about 11Wu/day). The P-M can't be hyperthreaded, but neither can the P4-M(as far as I know), so it would take a 2.8P4-M or better to run the same number of WUs that a P-M can per day.

If you throw hyperthreading and the 800FSB into the picture(desktop setup), its easy to outproduce a P-M with a P4-2.4C. This configuration will run about 13-14WU.

The reason for the P-Ms speed advantage is due to some combination of the shorter pipeline (12 stages vs 20) and larger L2 (1M vs 512K) cache.

I own both an IBM laptop with a P-M 1.6 and a Dell 600m with a P-M 1.4 and both are good machines. I like the IBM setup better because of one feature the machine has...a "one button" restore function. The Dell was considerably less expensive, though.

Fritz

Scoofy12
03-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Also IIRC, Centrino is a name for a system more so than just a processor. It has to have an Intel chipset and wireless hardware in it to be called Centrino, so there may actually be room for different kinds of CPUs in the mix, but i'm not exactly sure.

Fritz
03-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Scoofy,

You are right...Centrino is the name Intel gives to the combination of the Pentium-m
chip and their 802.11b wireless solution when its used in a laptop. I believe some companies may offer Pentium-m based laptops without the Intel 802.11b solution.

Fritz