PDA

View Full Version : How Can I install 2 copies of the program as services?

mnx
04-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Hi I'd like to install 2 instances of the client on a dual processor machine, but it won't let me add the two different copies as a service... I'm running winnt 4.

mnx

xj10bt
04-06-2002, 11:21 AM
You can't :( It's somewhere (low) on Howard's list of things to do.

Brian the Fist
04-06-2002, 11:53 AM
The only difficulty with this is I have not found a good way to implement this. You can give the service whatever name you want, but every time the service starts up it needs to know this name. Thus the service name is hard coded.
Its hard to explain, but the .EXE that runs as the service has to know the name that was used when it was installed as a service, if that makes sense. Thus I can think of no way to have 2 services with different names without compiling 2 different executables...

bwkaz
04-06-2002, 02:29 PM
Could you put the service name in a file? Then have the installer check, and if there's a service already installed with whatever the normal name is, it picks another and writes it to the file?

Or do you have to know the service name before the executable loads? That idea won't work if you need to know it before you'd be able to open and read a file...

xj10bt
04-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Calling Mr. Dyyryath, Mr. Dyyryath report to the thread please!

:help: