PDA

View Full Version : Main computer (Barton) now recognized as Athlon 1100???

Anteraan
03-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Ok, so I see that my DF production is slipping badly, so I check both dfGUI clients on my main computers, and I find that my normal use computer is running 60 min. generations, and is registering as an Athlon @ 1094 MHz. I reboot, go into BIOS, and find that the FSB and multiplier settings appear to be ok, same with memory settings. So, I continue into Windoze -- same thing.

Next time around, I go into BIOS, reset to defaults, go into Windoze -- same thing. I check Hardware Monitor, and all temps are ok. I just can't get this thing back up to running speed (it's a 2500+).

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm running an ASUS A7N8X mobo. The only thing I can think of is the BIOS battery, but because I went back in and found the settings to be ok, I'm thinking that might not be it??? I'm tempted just to shut the thing down for a few hours.

:help: :help:

PCZ
03-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Anteraan

An Athlon XP 2500 should run at 11 x 166.66 1833mhz
The FSB should be set to 166mhz, you are running 100 x 11

A lot of boards default to 100mhz and you have to manually set the FSB to 166mhz

Anteraan
03-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Right -- but when I go into BIOS, it shows the FSB to be 166 MHz, then upon exiting BIOS, it is defaulting back to 100 MHz, as seen in both the CPU speed and the memory speed. I'm confused as to why the board is doing this. All I can think of is the battery going bad (I've heard reports of that with this board), but I'm hoping some of you more technologically edumacated people could confirm/reject that possibility or suggest other ones.

Thanks for the quick response, PCZ.

GHOST
03-06-2004, 10:22 PM
i have had my bios go back to default- which is usually under the chip rating- after a crash. if it gives me problems i reset cmos. power off, remove battery, move pin from 1 and 2, to 2 and 3, then back again, battery then power.

asus also has a tool for updating bios asus utility- very easy.

also look up 'uber bios' on google. some one made bios files for asus boards and can be installed with utility

battery may be problem also

IronBits
03-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Look at that jumper for 100/133 just by the big aluminum heasink to.
Needs to be on 133.

Anteraan
03-06-2004, 10:50 PM
GHOST, I tried your method, but to no avail.

Good thinking, IB, but that wasn't it either. I'm going to try a new battery tomorrow and hope. Any chance the CPU itself could be implicated in this??

IronBits
03-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Flash your BIOS with the latest and greatest and go from there.

Anteraan
03-06-2004, 11:47 PM
That did it, IB (same version as I was using, must have gotten corrupted or something). Thanks a ton, everyone.

By the way, IB, I'm curious about something. Where did this nickname of Targetbutt come from? I'm guessing it has a bit of history behind it. :D

IronBits
03-06-2004, 11:50 PM
I'll defer the nickname story to Dyyryath, it's all his fault I believe :rolleyes: :evil: :whistle: