PDA

View Full Version : Sunday OS playing

QIbHom
03-07-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm normally a solid Libranet user, but decided to play around a bit. Here's what I found:

1) LFS (Linux From Scratch) is great fun. Slow, frustrating at times, but I learned a lot. I started on the BLFS book, but decided that building a completely functional system would be more work than I was willing to do. Still, I might do this again. I was reminded of good, old, solid, useful unix commands that I often forget, learned where things live and some of the whys of where things live where they do. The magic of slowly seperating your new LFS system from your current system is really awesome.

2) Progeny Componentalized Linux - Spoo! Ughh! Yech! No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the sucker to boot (and I'm really pretty good at obscure GRUB from the command line stuff, having screwed up an amazing number of systems). No matter what I tried, anaconda's X server hated my generic PS/2 wheel mouse. I did manage to get through anaconda using only the keyboard, but it was ugly. It kept telling me I was doing silly things (that work just fine on every other Linux system I've installed). I guess it was pretty, but I rather prefer functional. It did offer the 2.6.0 kernel, which would have been nice to play with.

The ncurses text install option was unusable. I couldn't tell what on earth I was selecting, since characters were all over the place. I haven't seen anything this ugly since the last time I hosed Windows video drivers.

There were references to Red Hat all over the place, which makes sense, since anaconda is an RH product. Still, you'd have thought the Progeny folks would have taken out things like reminders to register at redhat.com.

They are making a huge deal out of being LSB certified. This is not necessarily a good thing - LSB is flawed. Still, I wanted to see it. The last linux I couldn't get working was pre-Potato Debian, so this just pisses me off.

3) BSDeviant is a live CD FreeBSD thingie. It wouldn't load on my system, just froze while trying to (I think) load ISDN devices (of which I had none, and it was looking for 4 of them).

4) FreeSBIE is another live CD FreeBSD thingie. This one loaded (yes, slowly, but it is a live CD thingie, after all). It didn't figure out my network settings, like Knoppix always does. Still, it was cute, had some eye candy and politely booted to a command line, while echoing instructions for finding a network (which I obviously should have tried), starting X and other stuff. I might very well play with this one some more.

I think I should go play some games, and stop making coasters <g>.