PDA

View Full Version : Can't stand to have a processor sitting around doing nothing.

TSpurrell
12-28-2001, 09:44 PM
Ok, I had my old Abit VT6X4 with a P3 600MHz on it die a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking to replace the board with an Epox 6VBA2 (rev .5), just wondering if any one has any experience with these boards?

Also since I'm in the buying mood, I'm going to be picking up an Epox EP-8KHA+ with an AMD Athlon XP 1700 or 1900.

JDAW
12-31-2001, 04:29 PM
I don't know anything about that board but if you want to get rid of the VT6X4 I have a p3-500 that is in need of a board.

email me if your interested

rstarr
12-31-2001, 08:16 PM
The Epox EP-8KHA+ with an AMD Athlon XP 1700 should be a sweet combination. :)

TSpurrell
12-31-2001, 08:35 PM
The VT6X4 is dead, something happened when I came home from work one day where the ps/2 port for the mouse quit working, then the USB ports went out and it hard locked a week later never to return again.

Steve_Watkins
01-03-2002, 12:12 AM
I have had 4 VT6X4 Mobo die on me in the last 4 months! All have been acting goofie and were really a pain to figure out what was wrong! I really use to love Abit stuff but I will think hard before I buy another MOBO from them....

ColinT
01-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Steve, I am running all Abit mobos now, but they are AMD Socket A. I get good performance from them, and they are easy to set up.

TSpurrell
01-03-2002, 01:41 AM
The funny thing is a friend of mine also had his die back in July almost the same way mine did. This was my third VT6X4, the first two were RMAed on arrival because the first was DOA and on the second the only memory slot that worked was the second slot. But now my problem is trying to find a slot 1 mobo to replace it.

I'm also having problems choosing what mobo to get for my other box I was going to build. First it was going to be an Epox 8KHA+, but I've had to much time over the holidays and have been reading to many reviews and ended up confusing myself. So right now it's a toss up between the Epox 8KHA+, Soyo K7V Dragon+, and Giga-Byte GA-7VTXH+.

the_dog
01-03-2002, 02:29 AM
I have 4 dead abits in the house and 2 that have been running for a long time.but overall i really look at others before i look at abits anymore

just my$.02

DOG

TSpurrell
01-03-2002, 10:10 AM
If you notice Abit was left off my list.

Jammy
01-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Colin . . .if Abit's are so good how come it was suggested that I get a Soyo Dragon for my XP?

Jammy

Originally posted by ColinT
Steve, I am running all Abit mobos now, but they are AMD Socket A. I get good performance from them, and they are easy to set up.

Larry Loen
01-04-2002, 05:06 PM
I've been running the VT board for some time now. I forget -- maybe 18 months to 2 years?? Anyway, for quite some time. No worries.

I think one of the problems with these posting arrangements is that people with trouble (e.g. me with my Tyan Tiger dualie) post like mad and then the dozens or even thousands of happy folk don't say boo. It's like you get the divisor but you have no idea what the numerator is.

ulv
01-04-2002, 06:19 PM
A word from an Abit- man:
3 BH6, 1 BX6, 1 BX6-2, 2 BP6, 2 VP6, 1 KT7A, 1 KG7, all of them are working very nice, never had a problem.
1 Asus CUSL2- dead, 1 Epox 8KTA3- works OK.

I agree with you Larry, people with problems post about it(of course), satisfied people, like me, say nothing.

Gazoooo
01-04-2002, 09:16 PM
ulv: What happened to your CUSL2 ? I've been running one for a good while now with NO problems.

I did have to perform one blind flash after a Flash gone awry, thanks to what I concider their one down side........(non-removable Bios) but other then that quite satisfied. Ver 1009.

Gazoooo

Steve_Watkins
01-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ColinT

I am running 14 abit boards now..... the only ones I have had problems with are the vt6x4 boards.... One machine had two boards fail and PowerUp replaced the second board with a gigabite MOBO and its been fine so far.

The amd chip boards are doing fine... Except for the cheap North bridge fans! I have replaced 5 of those so far :mad:

By the way Powerup has been treating me really right lately.... I am starting to buy more from them for that reason.... They are willing to give us volume pricing if we ever want to do a big order...

Steve

TSpurrell
01-05-2002, 12:49 AM
I really didn't have a problem with the VT6X4, it was up and running stable for almost 2 years. Then out of the blue in the past couple of months I start getting a few hardlocks, BSOD's, then the PS/2 port quits working and the board died a week later.

My major problem with Abit comes from their lack of quality control back when I bought the board. I know too many people that had problems with their boards back at that time, even the tech support at the company I bought mine from were complaining about all of the Abit boards, not just the VT's.

trif
01-05-2002, 04:10 AM
We've been looking at replacing our current system, which will then get handed down to the kids (and continue crunching of course). Our first PC had a Shuttle mobo with an Intel 486/33 (w00t!) and it was a real POC. Since then I've bought two Asus boards a T2P4 and a P5B, and they have been real nice workhorses. I've been looking at two options, go big and go modest, go big would be a Soyo Dragon+ with an Athlon XP, and go modest would be a Soyo K7VTAPRO (has on board sound which the equivalent Asus board does not) with a Duron. We generally try not to buy the bleeding edge with our budget, but stuff is getting so cheap these days, and the Dragon+/Athlon XP combo would last us a long time. Price difference between the two options is less than $150. Any suggested vendors? I've been looking at newegg, they seem to like them over at the ARS boards.

On the humorous side, I looked to see if I could pick up a cheap copy of Win 98 SE for the new box, and Win XP Home edition is actually cheaper. Go figure.

Alpha_7
01-05-2002, 06:36 AM
I've had no problems with my Abit board, but I agree that the Northbridge fans are dodgy.. I've been meaning to replace mine for a while..
just too lazy to dismantle it... it would mean downtime from seti :(

p3ngu1nb0y
01-06-2002, 05:47 AM
Well I have an abit and IMO it's a great board! (BP6)

I'm also using a Epox 8KHA+ I like the board, It's simple in comparison to my ECS K7S5A (onboard LAN, and sound) I haven't done much with it (parent's computer) but if anything goes wrong I'll post and let ya know..