PDA

View Full Version : Stats a little wonky again?

prokaryote
03-10-2004, 04:17 AM
Hopefully they aren't and two individuals are kicking some serious bu$% :D If so, more power to them!

prokaryote
03-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Hello Hello Hello :Pokes:

michaelgarvie
03-11-2004, 06:16 AM
They're using the same island name for various islands... They'll get extra circuits one day, and less another day... I've already warned them about it.. If it continues I'll have to reset their stats.

LISASIMPSON
03-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by miguelgarvie
They're using the same island name for various islands... They'll get extra circuits one day, and less another day... I've already warned them about it.. If it continues I'll have to reset their stats.

Rear one why I uses 4 computers with different accounts for 1 month without something to have changed looks at you the daily statistics!:swear: :bang: :|party|:
(Translate with Google sorry)

michaelgarvie
03-12-2004, 06:34 AM
I think I know what you mean and I hope this translates back nicely. Yet you must have two processes running with LISASIMPSON01 yesterday because one of them was it was reporting with this generation pattern:

eg. 800, 300, 810, 310, 820, 320... This happens when there are two isalnds, one at generation 800 and the other at 300, using hte same ID. This is happening today as well. Are you using the Windows Scheduler?

LISASIMPSON, LISASIMPSON02 and LISASIMPSON04 are OK. LISASIMPSON01 is the only one with problem. And LISASIMPSON03 has dissapeared.

Maybe your LISASIMPSON03 computer is now using LISASIMPSON01 name too.

Cheers,
Miguel

adream
03-15-2004, 06:02 AM
my overall stats have been falling slowly over the last few days.... is it just me or is there something goin on ?

i have twelve islands and the stats have gone down every day for a fewdays

also the rogue islands that have generated huge numbers of circuits for teams such as Rechenkraft.net_Germany and team canada seem to have kept their credit,

does anyone know if the results submitted bythese teams are useful results for the project?

cheers

adream

michaelgarvie
03-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Rogue stats have been removed, islands were LISASIMPSON01 and Kurtklingbeil.

As mentioned in News section, stats on the 15th were reverted to a backup made on the 12th. I'm sorry about this.

adream
03-16-2004, 06:27 AM
oh well, these things happen eh ?

as far as i know i did exactly the same when i started participating in the project (running many islands with the same name) and had to get my stats reset before the penny dropped ! (it was a long time ago but i never apologised ((sorry!))

i thought i had kicked the dc bug till i found DHE, thanks for providing a great project for us to take part in

regards
adream

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

adream
03-18-2004, 07:07 AM
stats are going balistic again ,similar culprits :)

if the stats need to be reset again then perhaps someone should talk to them

otherwise we are all wasdting our valuable time :)

regards

adream

willy1
03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
I take it the above reason is why kurtklingbeil and a couple of others are always at the top of the 'Most Powerful' charts, with huge amounts of circuits compared to the rank and file? Like the first two below?

Most Powerful - 25/3/2004 - Full Ranking
Island Circuits Evaluated
Thadeus 694208
kurtklingbeil 288288
NORTHWOOD 10144
DOLLISHILL 9216
TOWERHILL 8480
ACTONTOWN 7424
ANGEL 7392
EUSTON 7392
HIGHGATE 7200
HAMMERSMITH 7200
CENWULF 7168
SOUTHEALING 7168
REGENTSPARK 7136
OAKWOOD 7136
OSTERLEY 7104

Not a nice thing.

:trash:

prokaryote
03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
You know I was thinking, if someone submits more than one system under one island name, the stats system might be calculating the stats differentially.

Say one system is on generation 20 and the other is on generation 200 and they're roughly equal. Then the data server may see something like the following:

Gen 20, Gen 200, Gen 21, Gen 201, .... being submitted. Now if the stats are calculated by looking at the differences and discards negative values then it might be giving credit for 80 generations, then none, then 80 generations, then none, ... The end effect is that on average for every generation submitted, one may be getting credited with 40 generations worth of work. One way to fight that is to assign a cpu id perhaps and use that to tally generations.

just a thought.

willy1
03-25-2004, 02:58 AM
Well, however it's happening, it's spreading. There are now 5 accounts in the current day stats that have anywhere from 5 to 15 times the points of the remaining folks.

Now that this is out for everyone to see and take advantage of if you're so inclined, it's time to fix it.

michaelgarvie
03-25-2004, 05:57 AM
The stats are calculated as a difference and negative values are NOT discarded. This should result in fair statistics except when an uneven number of packets are submited (if there are two islands). Then it will depend on which island submitted first if they get extra or less stats.

It has clearly come to a point where this is not acceptable. These are the measures that will be taken to resolve this:

1) Manually reset (=0) statistics for all 'offenders' which have been warned.
2) Warn remaining offenders and adjust their stats.
3) Make it more clear on the website that duplicate island names will not be tolerated.
4) Adjust the stats engine so that if it detects multiple islands it resets the corresponding statistics completely.

The problem I can think of is that then users could maliciously pretend to be other people to have their statistics reset. So the name,email tuple will have to be considered.

willy1
03-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I was getting ready to say that things looked a lot better now.

But -

I just did a last minute check on today's stats, and it looks like kurtklingbeil is back again at an 8x to 10x rate, and Alice23 is still producing at about a 2x rate.

Have you implemented the stats zeroing yet?

willy1

michaelgarvie
03-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for your patience.

I'll get this done first thing tomorrow morning.

Stephen_B
03-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Here's an idea, how about a category for most work by the same email address, so that people with multiple machines can get some recognition and avoid stacking computers with the same island name.

michaelgarvie
04-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Hi Stephen, good to see you're back.

I'll go for a similar strategy to this. I'll make it so that each connection has its own unique island in the topology. Now this will mean that a long run of weeks will have abandoned islands lying around but with the amount of new islands popping up there should be enough ridges forming to get migrants across.

This will stop the unfair stats thing and will allow people to have multiple islands with the same name so you can get the kind of stat Stephen was talking about.

michaelgarvie
04-01-2004, 05:03 AM
The server has now been updated with the new policy. You will see no more abnormal statistics. What you will see however is island names on the ranking which correspond to various PCs setup with the same island name.

willy1
04-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by miguelgarvie
The server has now been updated with the new policy. You will see no more abnormal statistics.
Thank You!

What you will see however is island names on the ranking which correspond to various PCs setup with the same island name.
I'm not sure what you mean -

Will each island name that's a dupicate show up in the ranking list more than once, with that island's score? Or are they lumped together essentially changing the 'Island' rankings to 'User' rankings and losing the specifics for each unique island?

michaelgarvie
04-02-2004, 10:15 AM
If someone has multiple islands running with the same name:
In the topology list you'll see various coordinates taken by the same island name. In the rankings you'll see that name with the total evaluations done by all islands. So it willl look like a mega-island in the rankings.

meckano
04-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey all,
I started yesterday, but now there are 8 meckano's showing on topology page.
- it wasn't me!

If I did something, show me how to knock one out

:spank:spank:spank:spank:spank:spank:spank:spank:

otherwise, it's an fyi. :D

neat stuff here, though I don't grasp it all; reading and learning.

play on :drums:

Added: (as there has been no answer yet.)
I only have it installed on one computer.
To see what I did, see here:
http://www.clubplus.net/~dbrown/dhep/helpinfo.htm

2nd Add:
and I think our stats are off here:
http://www.cogs.sussex.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe/statsTeam.php?team_id=14
1.7 million from 3 islands? hmmmmm

michaelgarvie
04-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey Meckano, welcome to DHEP! :|party|: :elephant:

Eight versions of your island on the topology is now fine. What this means now is that your island has connected 8 times. In the current scheme the server gives out new coordinates for each time it connects.

I like your help on installing DHEP client, have you made it for some people you know or the general public?

The stats for AMD are correct as far as I can see.

Cheers,
Miguel

meckano
04-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Tks for the :cheers:
I'm using main computer to try out different projects, found at bottom of
http://www.clubplus.net/~dbrown/seti/helpinfo.htm
but I should be sticking around for a month, and be back at some time.

My page http://www.clubplus.net/~dbrown/dhep/helpinfo.htm
is for all.
- it will get a few updates soon.

Question:
What are the firewall openings I need to make so this thing runs ok but not open to Tom, Dick and brother Harry ? :rotfl:

Meck.

michaelgarvie
04-08-2004, 06:23 AM
THe client does not listen on any port.
It opens ports 1099 and 2010 on the server.
It then uses sockets at other ports.

hope this helps.

meckano
04-08-2004, 07:32 AM
:)
Was looking for something about java.exe and javaw.exe :(

Do you have a single address that is needed or mulitilple?

tks. :D

michaelgarvie
04-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Only 139.184.166.27

meckano
04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
:cheers:

I have 3 ports to that address, cool!

:drums: