PDA

View Full Version : Linux Distro under 450MB???

matrix_fan
03-10-2004, 03:26 PM
I have my old K6-2 gutted out runnign on 64Mb ram, i need a linux distro that will run on 450MB of space. i have a 500MB HDD, so that leaves 50mb for other stuff(DC programs). Please help me, and if possible, it needs to be as easiest as possible, as i'm not that good at all with linux.........HELP ME TO GET THIS MACHINE CRUNCHIN!!!!:bonk: :bonk: :drums: :bouncy:

Darkness Productions
03-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Debian will fit, gentoo will fit, some others will fit.

matrix_fan
03-10-2004, 03:48 PM
rhmm m, i said EASY TO INSTALL, i heard gentoo is like the hardest (but fastest) out there

Bok
03-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Have a look around Isolinux (http://www.isolinux.org)

I haven't tried it but archlinux (http://www.archlinux.org) looks fairly compact..

Actually off the top of my head, I *think* if you install RH9 and choose custom, then minimal packages it's in the 400-500mb region. Somebody correct me.... if not then maybe that or even do the same with RH7 or 8 which would likely be less.

Bok

matrix_fan
03-10-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm downloading: 1st of Debian, and live-cd of gentoo, and the archlinux package (iso) :)

magicfan241
03-10-2004, 04:44 PM
I had gotten RH7.2 to fit on a 650MB HDD, along with Abiword, Printer stuff, and Dnet.

That was a while ago, and I forget what options I used to install with....

magicfan241

QIbHom
03-10-2004, 05:26 PM
If you don't install a GUI (not needed if you are just crunching with it), anything will work.

Or you could boot off knoppix (if it has a CD drive), and run your projects off the hard drive.

On my ancient laptop, which has a 200 meg hd, I use a minimal install of Libranet with XCFE as the GUI. Libranet is a piece of cake to install, and if you spring for the newest version, you can pick and choose every single package on the install. Or just do the minimal install, and apt-get what you want.

matrix_fan
03-10-2004, 07:36 PM
actually, like i said i HAVE NO IDEA how to run linux, so a simple KDE would be fine.....I tried knoppix, couldn't find a dos partition for swap file..., rrr how do i make one? If anyone has a free bigger hdd, feel free to PM me ;)

QIbHom
03-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Ok, let me see if I have your requirements straight, Matrix_Fan.

1) Small hd, 500 meg.
2) No prior linux knowledge.
3) To be used for crunching.

I'm assuming:

1) Don't want to spend money.
2) A secondary aim is to become familiar with linux.
3) No attempt to dual boot with another OS.

You can get linux documentation online. I'm fond of out of date linux manuals from my local computer store's remainder shelf.

If I understand your requirements, you don't need a GUI. KDE is going to be a bit large for a hard drive of that size. You might be able to shoehorn it on there, but you won't have much wiggle room.

I can talk you through making a swap partition for Knoppix (sorry, I know it doesn't like that little RAM, although it will run with only 32 megs, albeit very slowly). But what you learn doing that won't really transfer well.

Why not download any free distro that can be installed (I'm thinking of Libranet 2.7 classic here, because I'm familiar with it), then do a minimal install, with no GUI? www.distrowatch.org can help you find them. I'm personally very fond of Debian based systems because apt is stable, easy and powerful. Debian itself can be a little scary to install the first time, but it isn't as horrible as people remember it being anymore.

Linux Journal has been running a CLI for newbies series, which has been sited on another of these fora.

What you need to decide before you pick a distro is:

1) apt based, RPM based, source based or tar.gz based.
2) partitioning strategy (I highly recommend putting /home on it's own partition)
3) roughly how much you want to learn, and how much time you are willing to spend.
4) what hardware you have (type of NIC, video card, etc.).

matrix_fan
03-10-2004, 08:01 PM
I mean, i've had 2 dula boots before, with windows 98 and mandrake on one and win xp and mandrake, i got tired of it caus ei enver used linux so i just redid windows. Basically, i only want it to be able to run s os (with a simple gui) so that i can run a dc program on it. Other than that, i'm not going to use it to type letters up. BUT i WOULD like at least the simplest GUI they have. But i have the slightest idea hwo to install them. oh and libranet takes 600MB for minumum :( Hardware is a minum on this machine, 2MB ____ video card ( i forgot), 64Mb pc100 ram, 500MB fujitsu hdd, D-link NIC card (DFI-3tx+) something like that, and a 500Mhz K6-2, GA5-aa mobo, that's all..........Do you have AIM, it would be alot easier to comunicate on how to get the a ummm.... swap file/dos partition thing

*EDIT*: i just thought about this. I have a partion it's just not formatted ;)

QIbHom
03-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead using AIM <g>. You can e-mail me off list if you prefer, though, qibhomATwideopenwest.com.

Libranet's minimal install doesn't require 600 meg. Really. I'm one of the beta testers. That is only if you install a GUI.

There are a couple of distributions designed for small hard drives. Tiny Linux is or was one, I think. Distrowatch would have more info on those.

The simplest, smallest window manager I find usable is XFCE. You don't need a window manager (GUI, or at least part of it, the other part being the X server) to crunch.

matrix_fan
03-10-2004, 08:25 PM
e-mailed!!!

GHOST
03-10-2004, 08:31 PM
let me get in on the fun here.

if i do a minimal install, no gui, how do i download the client?

QIbHom
03-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Glad you asked, Ghost. <g>

By using a non-graphical web browser, of course. Links, Lynx and I think there are a few others. From a command line in linux, "lynx www.distributedfolding.org"

I seem to remember that there is a way to ftp the client, too. If not, in a pinch, I'm sure someone here would be willing to put it up on their ftp server temporarily.

You could use wget if you knew the exact location, too.

You know, DF and CB are the only apps on my computers at home that aren't apt-getable <g>.

GHOST
03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
i downloaded mndrk 10 today. i will see how much room it takes for min install and what i have for browser. burning it right now.

Bok
03-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by GHOST
let me get in on the fun here.

if i do a minimal install, no gui, how do i download the client?

wget, or you can ftp/sftp to another machine or samba mount a windows share (if you install samba) and just copy it over.

Bok

GHOST
03-10-2004, 11:44 PM
i did a minimal install of redhat 9. on custom install i checked system tools (maybe not
needed) and text internet browser. took about 530 mb

wget works. i wget www.distributedfolding.org and it connected and said saved?

did ftp mshri.on.ca and got connection timed out.

after connection timed out i now have this symbol ftp>
went to the download page on my windows box and on the file i wanted i clicked for properties to get ftp address.

ftp://ftp.mshri.........tar.gz

i have entered this address in a few ways and am getting invalid command.

what is the proper way? is the ftp> screwing me up?

OK, wget ftp://ftp.mshri........tar.gz works and client is running.

now i just have to edit foldit file when i want to upload. i will look in the redhat bible here to see how to edit it.

QIbHom
03-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Sounding good, Ghost. I won't be a sadist, and suggest vi <g>.

If you are using gnome, gnotepad is really easy. I'm fond of dedit for a quick and dirty GUI edit job.

I've actually been considering taking X off my test box, and seeing if DF crunches more. But, I'd have to let it run through a full generation to get a decent idea, and I might as well wait for the new protein before trying to do benchmarks.