PDA

View Full Version : thermal interface material

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 09:00 PM
For assembling my heatsink onto my CPU I bought thermal compound, but reading AMD instructions and reading AMD website, it appears they only want "phase-change" material. So is that what you folks who have assembled heatsinks on AMD cpus have used?

AMD website:
http://139.95.253.213/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=97,E=0000000000147065607,K=6602,Sxi=4,Case=obj(3494)

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Nother question: am I supposed to remove the small serial # sticky, white label that is on top of the CPU?:help:

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Yes, you remove the white paper. Under it is something that looks like a postage stamp sized piece of flat silly putty. That is the thermal compound. If you are using the stock heat sink and fan, the thermal compound on the CPU is fine.

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks.

Next question: where do I use the red insulating washers (sorry no instructio manual)? Do they go on the screws that screw through the motherboard into the standoffs which I've screwed into the chassis? I think so but since the standoffs ground the motherboard, and since the screws are in the standoffs they are grounded anyway -- but perhaps this just keeps the top of the motherboard insulated, while grounding the bottom side to the standoffs?

And...do you recommend installing the cpu, and the heatsink, prior to installing the motherboard in the case?

TIA.

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Oooff...I have no idea what those red washers are, or where they go. I've never had anything like that come with the computer bits I've put together. Did they come with the motherboard or the case?

I would highly recommend putting the CPU and fan on the motherboard before putting the motherboard into the case. It is a lot easier to put those together on a table, or on the floor (which is what generally I end up doing). There is a bit of a trick to getting the heat sink/fan assembly attached to the top of the CPU. I'd recommend having a couple of flat head screwdrivers on hand to help. Hook the loop into the plastic bit, and use the screwdriver head to push down on the other side and loop that. Either seems to go right away, or to take half an hour and 3 banged knuckles.

Anteraan
03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by QIbHom
Oooff...I have no idea what those red washers are, or where they go. I've never had anything like that come with the computer bits I've put together. Did they come with the motherboard or the case?

I agree. I've never seen any washers of the type, so I'm guessing they came with the board.

I would highly recommend putting the CPU and fan on the motherboard before putting the motherboard into the case. It is a lot easier to put those together on a table, or on the floor (which is what generally I end up doing). There is a bit of a trick to getting the heat sink/fan assembly attached to the top of the CPU. I'd recommend having a couple of flat head screwdrivers on hand to help. Hook the loop into the plastic bit, and use the screwdriver head to push down on the other side and loop that. Either seems to go right away, or to take half an hour and 3 banged knuckles.

Indeed, definitely do it beforehand! Also, I'd recommend using the smallest flathead screwdriver you can find, and put the downward pressure on the **clip**, not on the heatsink/fan. In other words, push the screwdriver down, don't push the HSF down with your other hand. Pressing on the HSF can lead to, umm..."negative consequences" :p

Since you don't have instructions, allow me to refer you to some fairly well-made movies from AMD. They should help you get through the process:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348%5E6678,00.html

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks, Anteraan. I realized I was unclear what you push down on when I read your correction. You do it enough times, you get unclear on explaining the process <g>.

I do sometimes use my other hand to steady the heatsink, but never press down on it. This helps, especially when the loop end pops out when I apply pressure with the screwdriver. I generally have better luck with a medium sized screw driver, but I suspect it is a matter of personal taste.

I bet the people in those videos don't sweat and cuss like I do.

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Thx for replies and web-site movie...looks so easy!

Next question: I've replaced the back plate with the one for my motherboard. On the inside of the plate, each hole has little 'spring tabs' I would call them. They are preventing the motherboard from lining up with the holes. Do I just push the motherboard against those tabs, or am I supposed to cut them off. I can send pic if you want.

PS I found answer to red washers here: search for mystery washers
http://www.dansdata.com/danletters007.htm

Gonna go look for small screwdrivers now...

IronBits
03-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Like these?
http://www.dbestern.com/supermicro/supermicro.htm

Also worth a peek... ;)
http://www.dbestern.com/mobo/mobo.htm

Do I just push the motherboard against those tabs?
Yes!

:cheers:

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Ah, interesting info on the red washers. Thanks for sharing it, MerePeer. I guess I always buy the cheap stuff from manufacturers who are hoping I'll wear it out quickly.

IronBits, I get a time out on those links.

If you cut the tabs off, won't that prevent the motherboard from seating properly? Or, maybe I'm just not understanding...

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Cpu is in, but the handle feels tough to push down -- how much pressure is needed to close the cpu handle?

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 11:03 PM
It can take a good bit of pressure to get the clip hooked. Yes, it is a bit hard to push down. Go slow, make sure the other end doesn't slip out. Once you get the screwdriver end down to where the plastic bit is, then you can use the screwdriver to lever it to hook.

Smooth and slow. Don't panic.

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Doh! CPU handle. Erase what I said.

It should go down fairly easily, if you've got the pins aligned properly. I have had a couple boards that took a little bit of pressure. Take the CPU out, and see how much pressure the handle takes. Make sure you've got the pins lined up properly, put the CPU back in, and don't apply too much more pressure than it took empty.

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Here's a pic of the sticky ser#label...I left it on because it wasnt coming off easy. I hope it doesnt burn up on there?

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 11:13 PM
That is fine to leave on. It should be left on.

The black rectangle in the centre is where you put your thermal paste. I think that was included in those videos, although I couldn't watch them.

My mistake - I thought you meant the white bit of paper that covers the thermal paste that comes on stock CPUs when new. I'm very glad you posted that picture.

MerePeer
03-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Cpu handle went down. Heatsink is on. Board in chassis but I need to buy one of those screwdrivers that holds the stupid tiny screws while you lower it into place because my fingers arent small enough. Time for bed anyway, thx so much for your advice.

:)

QIbHom
03-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Sometimes, tweezers can help hold a screw in place. But, yeah, I've got fat fingers, too. Just been paranoid about magnetic screwdrivers near hard drives and such.

Congrats, MerePeer. It'll be a lot easier the next time.

IronBits
03-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Glad you got it almost running! :cheers:

For the next time someone is looking for help ;)

3rd and 4th row of photos shows application of thermal paste...
http://www.dbestern.com/secc2off/secc2off.htm