PDA

View Full Version : Can't install

Syntax Error
03-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Hello

I found this DC project and thought it sounded nice, so I wanted to give it a run but:

When I use the automatic installer for windows, I get a error:

Error 1722. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

It seems to be working when I use the manual installing

michaelgarvie
03-17-2004, 04:03 AM
A couple of questions if you don't mind to follow this up:

Did you have Java installed?

In what directory where you installing it?

What island name, email and team names did you supply?

The installer works fine on most machines but there must be some set of conditions under which it fails... Just have to know what they are so I can replicate failure to fix it.

Syntax Error
03-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Yes Java was installed under: program files/java/

I used the default path for the program: program files/DHE/

Island name: Bikerman
e mail name: Bikerman@get2net.dk
Team name: Bikerman

I just tried it again, and it failed with the same error, I then launched it,, clicked remove, then re installed it, now it seems to work, but didn't leave any launch button ?

michaelgarvie
03-17-2004, 11:47 AM
All your details seem OK. You seem to have connect to the server twice. Once at 13:38 and the other 13:43 GMT. This means your client was properly installed at those times but stopped for some reason or another and didn't continue. Maybe this was when you installed and uninstalled... Strange that it worked once and didn't before...

What do you mean by a launch button? Is this the remove button?

Could you check if the service is installed in Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services? It should appear as Distributed Hardware Evolution Island. If it is then you can just launch it by clicking on the play button.

If you'd like the GUI version follow the GUI instructions on the download page..

Syntax Error
03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Launch button, well that's just cos I didn't read all the FAQ's and other text (I thought I could chose to install it as a service or as a manual starting program) :spank:

The service is installed, when I tried to start it, it said (after a 30 sec or so) something with "service stopped, this is probably due to no data to analyse" I don't have the exact text.....but seems like it didn't download anything

How ever my manual installed version (name: Syntax Error, email: Bikerman@orangenet.dk is running with no problem)

michaelgarvie
03-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Yes Syntax_error island is fine now. Just one last question so I can register all this down as possible installer bug:

What versions of windows and java do you have installed?

Syntax Error
03-18-2004, 10:31 AM
I use windows XP pro on this machine, and java is vers 1.4.2_04

(I tried vers J2EE with version 1.4.2_02 and 1.4.2_04 both SDK and JRE and netbeans with version 1.4.2) - just to be sure :cool: