PDA

View Full Version : Membership Title Names - Suggestions

JTrinkle
12-28-2001, 10:00 PM
Ok Folks,
We are looking for suggestions for the Membership Title Names based on post count.

IE: Junior Member, Senior Member, etc...

We are looking to go 5 levels with this, so please try to post the suggestions in sets of 5 if possible.

a poll will be posted with the top 4 or 5 choices so the membership can choose.

thanks
-Jim

Ancala
12-28-2001, 10:04 PM
Does this mean I will no longer be the "God of Suckage"???

hehe

lata
-Ancala

JTrinkle
12-28-2001, 10:06 PM
No Ancala.. that one is etched in stone :)

-Jim

ColinT
12-28-2001, 10:08 PM
I would not like to see anything denigrating, like RANK NOOBIE. Something less insulting.

Warm and fuzzy works for me

Shadicus
12-28-2001, 10:12 PM
newbie 3rd class
Citizen
Knight
Lord
His / Her Magisty

???

ColinT
12-28-2001, 10:15 PM
God
Hero
Master
Farmer
Grasshopper

reverse order:)

FoBoT
12-28-2001, 10:26 PM
elite cruncher
master cruncher
cruncher
weekend cruncher
jr cruncher

ColinT
12-28-2001, 10:31 PM
God
Hero
Master
Farmer
Cruncher

I don't want any Junior titles

Or:

God of Freedom
Hero of of the Free
Master of Liberty
Independant Farmer
Freelance Cruncher

Kosmaj
12-28-2001, 10:42 PM
Can't we think something more creative?
Specially if titles include "cruncher", crunching doesn't have a lot in common with posting/talking, there are non-talkative crunchers...
How about crunching time or at least time spent browsing the forum if that is measurable.

Yeah, post count is a plain number, the simplest solution, but ...

IronBits
12-28-2001, 10:43 PM
I would like to see it relate to DC.

Cyrix Lover
Cruncher
Pharmer
Needs a Life

Supp
12-28-2001, 10:48 PM
Question little of topic:
are there going to be non-standard titles (ex. UD Team Cpt...)

.... ?

ColinT
12-28-2001, 10:55 PM
It's possible.

ColinT
12-28-2001, 11:11 PM
As I se it, these titles rarely have anything to do with the number of posts. And many times they had no meaning at all. I like my tie-in with freedom. Because we are Free!

Chinasaur
12-28-2001, 11:12 PM
After 25 posts, allow the member to put in their own title.

This way, people wont post simply to raise their post count and thus their title.

CSMan
12-28-2001, 11:24 PM
What about making a list of title names for each level? Then when they go up a level, they can pick whichever name they want.

SkullFragments
12-28-2001, 11:34 PM
I'll never post enough to be anything....I'm not very prolific. If I see a question or problem I can help with I'll chip in, otherwise I just lurk. Now relic on the other hand.......;). So to me it doesn't mater.

Skull :D

ColinT
12-29-2001, 12:36 AM
Should I put up a Poetry Forum for him?

dragongoddess
12-29-2001, 11:53 PM
here we go
pontifically challenged
1st grade reader
politican
pneumatic pontificate-tor

ColinT
12-30-2001, 12:54 AM
I still think the top title should be "Hanser". But that's just me.

Jammy
12-30-2001, 11:19 AM
For some odd reason I like that Colin! But the grandma side of me says he is still such a ploite yound man, lol.

BTW dragongoddess . . .I too am a grandmother, six times now and I do Seti and Ubero. One is NEVER too old to DC!

Originally posted by ColinT
I still think the top title should be "Hanser". But that's just me.

rstarr
12-31-2001, 08:08 PM
Master Member
Grand Member
Mentor

Each should change at a predetermined count.

member = 0 -100
Senior = 101-200
Master = 201-300
Grand = 301-500
Mentor = 501 plus

Ancala
12-31-2001, 08:18 PM
Sapp,

Im not part of the management, but I have been told that once one reaches deity status in the art of sucking, it shall be etched in stone. :)

Take a look to your left.

-Ancala
God of Suckage
No matter where you go, there I suck.

ColinT
12-31-2001, 08:25 PM
rstarr

It's already something like that. Very close. We are trying to do something unique.

rstarr
12-31-2001, 08:28 PM
I can't see anything above junior member, so I wasn't for sure.
It's kinda hard to place lables relating to folding, seti, etc, based upon the fact that not everyone would be doing those.

I'll try and come up with something else a little more suitable.
Might take a day or two.

Larry Loen
01-01-2002, 01:24 AM
How about names with "free" in them somewhere.

Would take a little bit of research.

Things like "free holder" "free man" and so on. The trick would be to ensure it didn't have any unpleaseant historical connotations.

There was, IIRC, an old French nobility title called "Sire" which was not a kingly title, but simply meant "independent noble" (apparently, at least in the high middle ages, there were a few nobles who simply "were" without formal fealty to the king).

ColinT
01-01-2002, 01:41 AM
Hi larry,

I knew you would work T.H.A.W.N. into this :p I tried something like that above and I got booed off the stage:)

God of Freedom
Hero of of the Free
Master of Liberty
Independant Farmer
Freelance Cruncher

People never recognize greatness LOL

Nice idea though. I'll keep after it.

BNS
01-01-2002, 07:09 AM
Well, here is my 2 cents

In most forums that I have 'participated' in I have been a heavy lurker, popping out now and then to ask a question or try and help someone to solve their own.

Frankly I don't like the idea of postcount++ but I know a lot of people do.

I think the titles should thematically based _specifically_ around how many posts, not 'uber-cruncher', 'hotttest-damn-playa-in-the-forum' etc, etc.

Just

Post Master, God of Postage, Post Whore, She-who-cannot-post, whatever, whatever

oh well, I hope there are others who think the same way

DarkStar
01-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Hmm ... yes, if it's to be based on post count, something representative of that would seem to be appropriate ... would also think that moving up through the "lower" rankings should be quicker than at the higher end (just as it happens in DC). Perhaps someting along the lines of:

(0-10) - Lurker
(11-50) - Member
(51-200) - Cruncher
(201-500) - MasterByter (ok, not really)
(>500) - Oracle

... as a matter of personal preference, would hope that various and sundry deities could be kept out of it.

OTOH, I think that much coolness would result from titles that were somehow tied to the individual's production stats on the "project of choice" (or perhaps "project of the moment) or even the combination production stats under discussion elsewhere.

Kosmaj
01-01-2002, 08:14 PM
ColinT,

I wouldn't mind being called "Freelance Cruncher " all the time regardless of my post count (even if I post 1000 times, very unlikely though :D ).

I salute your idea of doing something "unique". Why Free-DC fora have to resemble Ars fora that much?

Happy New Year!

ColinT
01-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Guys, there are limits to what we can do. Tieing labels to production is not possible. Every forum I have ever visited used post count, and we must also. There is no other way to do it. Our Forum does not talk to our stats.

I think something will be done about this very soon. I think "Junior member" is insulting.

Shadicus
01-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Kinda like being called someone's bieoch! :rolleyes:

Berg.the.Red
01-01-2002, 09:10 PM
not gonna let that one go, are ya Shadicus ... :D

Shadicus
01-01-2002, 09:20 PM
:D

DarkStar
01-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Guys, there are limits to what we can do.
Surely you jest! :)

Tieing labels to production is not possible.
I actually didn't think it would be - but you have to admit that for a DC-based forum it would be cool.

I think "Junior member" is insulting.
Speaking as one who's been a "junior" something or other for most of his life, one gets used to it. Seriously, though - there seem to have been some good ideas. It's just tricky to come up with something DC related that isn't really project specific. Best of luck for whatever y'all decide!

BNS
01-02-2002, 03:26 AM

Every forum I have ever visited used post count, and we must also. There is no other way to do it.

There is most definately another way to do, and do it an almost unique way.

Don't show post counts on the fora.

Please, I beg at least one intelligent group to break away from the postcount idea.

I think the perfect way to have forums stats is to have the date of joining listed, and what percentage of days from that time the member actually made a post. Then if people must have post-count somewhere (please no), put it in their profile where it can be easily found if desired.

And that _is it_

Usenet doesn't have postcounts <- I rest my case (well, maybe not rest it yet)

No labels, or constant reminder of someones rank.

Following this stats off approach would allow new people to feel more able to contribute equally, and older people to actually get to know each other by the quality of posts.

Please put my idea on the list.

I am actually :( after writing that because I think this is an important part in the development of this site and I want it to be good.

But, I am also <tired> because I have only had 8 hours sleep over the last 4 days.

<emotional>I love you guys!!</emotional>

:p

<comatose>...</comatose>

outlnder
01-02-2002, 04:30 AM
Is it possible to have size of our farms listed as MHz??

I know it's kinda bragging, but it does show commitment.

outlnder
Home Farmer
20095 MHz

JPS
01-02-2002, 10:06 AM
I am going to second BNS suggestion above. I personally do not think post-count is the way to go. More equitable options exist such as the percentage of days posted or something similar...

Just my $0.02 worth on the second day of the new year...

dejon
01-02-2002, 11:40 AM
I'll third BNS' suggestion. Having the spare time to chat excessively does not make one great, imho.

Tieing labels to production is not possible. Every forum I have ever visited used post count, and we must also. There is no other way to do it. Our Forum does not talk to our stats.

What a load of hooey! Aside from BNS' suggestion, the next best thing is to base on some sort of collective production contribution. I've already seen in other threads that Dyyryath is considering attempting to take such a measurement, and I hope he'll forgive me when I say that, given his plentiful stats and web tech experience, I'd be disappointed if he couldn't figure out how to get stats into the forum.:D

TSpurrell
01-02-2002, 12:13 PM
I agree with BNS on not even having a ranking system. If any thing after a year let them pick a custom title if they want one.

furballexpress
01-02-2002, 01:34 PM
I don't know what to say....

I agree partially with others who have said no ranks are good ranks, mostly because posting doesn't necessarily mean contributing. Even the most annoying "postcount ++" types can achieve levels of postcount immortality and still be worthless to the overall community.

That said, it's fun to see and have different titles, especially outlandish ones.

I have no titles to offer up, just that two cents. I'm sure I'll have more later to say....

BNS
01-02-2002, 05:05 PM
To all who agree, thanks for the backup!

I do think titles are nice additions if done well though, so maybe it could be up to the founders, and other respected people in the future, to do a sort of 'Caeser' and promote people to an elevated rank - which would then allow them to pick a custom title.

A way of recognizing the main contributers.

FoBoT
01-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BNS

I think the perfect way to have forums stats is to have the date of joining listed, and what percentage of days from that time the member actually made a post.

wow!
that is a very interesting idea :)

BNS
01-04-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by FoBoT

wow!
that is a very interesting idea :)

thanks, i think it has a nice balance to it.

Kosmaj
01-04-2002, 04:27 AM
Whether my post will matter I don't know but just for the record:

I support BNS/Brendan's idea as well !

relic
01-04-2002, 09:19 AM
if you think "normal" titles are a pain...how'd you like to get blamed for everything? ;)

I think this crew will make sure that the real contributors are noted appropriately. The free-DC powers that be (I bet they never imagined themselves being referred to that way ;) ) are great people.

I think the postcount titles are not very useful, but some find them fun. I'd say make some title that the post++'ers will like and let the free-DC guys have fun with custom titles.

You can just blame me if it doesn't work out. :D :D

ColinT
01-04-2002, 12:24 PM
I like both ideas.

Custom titles for people who stand out, and blaming relic for when it goes tits up :p

starlight
01-04-2002, 01:05 PM
I like a combo of the two also. Since I'm a professional lurker, if its only posts that count, it would take me along time to get past Junior Member.

IronBits
01-04-2002, 01:13 PM
And so it shall be... :D

starlight
01-04-2002, 03:21 PM
I like it! :D

kurtconi
01-05-2002, 11:05 AM
I like it too.;)

kurt

Gazoooo
01-05-2002, 02:37 PM
As another Lurker First Class.............(except where Dogs are concerned).........I like the idea as well.

GO YOU DOGGIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_mann
01-07-2002, 08:33 PM
IB can i be something like
PRO Loser
:D

furballexpress
01-08-2002, 11:20 AM
These custom titles you speak of..... who gives those? The "powers that be" or the general population of these fora?

kurtconi
01-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Why not let everyone pick their own custom title??

Peer Pressure will keep down the more outrageous ones such as.......Ohhh.........I Dont Know.....Like...."Distributed Computing God and Elector General.

Kurt

relic
01-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Pick my own title?

I've never been able to do that...no reason to start now. ;)

Even when it's Colin's fault, it's my fault. :D

I think we need to pass out some titles for "the powers that be"

(just assign to the appropriate "power" THIS (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=87) thread may help decide what titles belong to who.)

might I suggest:
1. MFWIC "miffwick" (Mo Fo What's In Charge)
2. StudMuffin
3. Morris and the Morettes
4. That other guy

Just blame me if they don't like it. :)

ColinT
01-08-2002, 02:40 PM
OK, it's obvious that #1 is IB, and #2 is Dyy. But who are #3 and 4?

Inquiring Minds, etc.

JPS
01-08-2002, 03:09 PM
I think we need to put this issue to rest and figure out what method to use - me suggests using titles based on overall contribution (WUs, posts, guides, howtos, etc). Post count is silly.

Adapted from FightClub:

"You are not your Post Count"
"You are not your system specs"
"You are not your frame rate"

etc, etc, etc...

ColinT
01-08-2002, 03:16 PM
IB wants (so he said) to allow the members to choose their own titles. When he get's out from under his server work, perhaps he can cast that policy into stone.

FoBoT
01-08-2002, 09:29 PM
sounds ok to me
i already have mine picked out

Fixer of Broken Things

:)

mr_mann
01-08-2002, 11:41 PM
Iron wheres my nifty name ? :D

ColinT
01-08-2002, 11:47 PM
He's whupping everyone at Q3:)

JTrinkle
01-09-2002, 09:28 AM
mr_mann & FoBoT... you are all set!!

-Jim
"The Other Guy"

relic
01-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by JPS
I think we need to put this issue to rest and figure out what method to use - me suggests using titles based on overall contribution (WUs, posts, guides, howtos, etc). Post count is silly.

Adapted from FightClub:

"You are not your Post Count"
"You are not your system specs"
"You are not your frame rate"

etc, etc, etc...

But you ARE your farm. ;)

I think there should be a tax deduction for DC farmers....it's just like having another child.

JPS
01-09-2002, 11:55 AM
RELIC

I would buy that and I DEFINITELY support the TAX deduction!

FoBoT
01-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by JTrinkle
mr_mann & FoBoT... you are all set!!

-Jim
"The Other Guy"

cool! :cool:

you rock!! :D

mr_mann
01-09-2002, 05:57 PM
you sure do rock :D

Jammy
01-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Thanks IB for letting us pick our own titles!

IB wants (so he said) to allow the members to choose their own titles. When he get's out from under his server work, perhaps he can cast that policy into stone.

Detemeat
01-10-2002, 02:25 AM
Hmmm....something like?!?!
Molester of Beer!

Kosmaj
01-11-2002, 08:29 PM
This is COOL! :D

I don't have any special name in mind but I HATE being called "junior member".

Can you set my title as "Freelance Cruncher"
for the time being. Thanks!

ColinT
01-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Is that better? How about Beer Boy? Is that what you want?

Molester of Beer?

Detemeat
01-12-2002, 05:08 AM
Sure....beer boy would work:D

Wedge
01-17-2002, 08:56 PM
hrmmm this is tough for me to think of a nick name..

Chasing Dyyryath

yah that'll do :)

dejon
01-18-2002, 02:43 AM
Oh my! What to pick for my title? Ah, I know. "Mustard Brother", please. Don't ask - it is a long story. Perhaps I'll share it someday.

xj10bt
01-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Can I be a "Large Member"?

mr_mann
01-18-2002, 05:15 PM
wow some of the great titles we come up with :D we are some
funny people :D

Tasuke
01-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Larry Loen
How about names with "free" in them somewhere.

How about Free Ballin'

:p

dejon
01-19-2002, 03:45 PM
swEEt! My title is active and I've just uploaded my avatar to match it. Colin, I hope you don't mind my borrowing your funky avatar border, it helps the graphic 'fit in' with the look of the forum.

ColinT
01-19-2002, 03:56 PM
No, of course not. Dyy made them - Mustard Man:)

JPS
01-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Little late now, but what about:

GOD
Genetic Engineer
Professor
Post Doc
Gel Jockey
Lab Rat

Paratima
02-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Thank you very much, could we drop the "Junior"?

IronBits
02-18-2002, 11:15 PM
I believe, after 10 posts and 7 days you can change it.