PDA

View Full Version : Auto-update was successful this time?

Brian the Fist
04-08-2002, 12:52 PM
I hope autoupdate worked for everyone this time. If not post your horror stories :scared: here.
This is now the last small protein before we ramp up to 10 billion sample size and larger proteins. The next update will likely include an update to the executable to make sure all the latest changes and bug fixes are incorporated into everyone's copy.
Happy Folding!:cheers:

Morax
04-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Autoupdate worked perfectly here!

brsullivan
04-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Beautiful work Howard:D

My two installs of APR1 on win 2k, one as a service, the other running in client window updated without so much as a hiccup. Thanks for all your hard work!

:thumbs:

Digital Parasite
04-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Hi Howard,

I noticed that the web page didn't "autoupdate". Currently http://www.distributedfolding.org/ still has the disabled page showing while http://www.distributedfolding.com is back to normal again.

MarcyDarcy
04-08-2002, 01:07 PM
My client stopped and waited for me to update the client. To bad i wasn't at home so he didn't do anything for several hours :(

I don't edited the foldit.bat file so the client was 100% the same when you download it from the site.

Michael H.W. Weber
04-08-2002, 01:40 PM
Autoupdate worked perfectly on my Win98SE box.

Michael.

mighty
04-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Auto-update worked like a charm here :-)

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-08-2002, 02:41 PM
So far it has failed for me, but I suspect my caching proxy server is to blame. I am trying to flush the stupid thing, but haven't found the right place yet.

Ni!

ohms18k
04-08-2002, 03:33 PM
I did not see anything automatic about this update. First of all the update came while my machines are in the process of folding, which means it is now burning cycles for nothing. I get news of the new protein and stop the client, restart the client, it checks for new update and finds one and then ask me the question to update. :rolleyes: Why ask the question? Unless i missed something in my setup that's far from automatic.

quantum_mechanic
04-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Everything worked great for me--

WinXP
Win2k
Win2k Advanced Server
Win98se

Terminator
04-08-2002, 03:47 PM
work - no, same happened last time but stopping and restarting the client forced the update :confused: maybe a firewall\proxy\cache issue somewhere on our network.
home - yes

KWSN_GoinOnaWabbitHunt
04-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Two win mill updated

Two win mill, three 98se, and one 2k waited for me to say Y then updated fine.

:bang:

ulv
04-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Came home from work half an hour ago, my six clients were all waiting for Y(es), and I had made the "yes-file". All were running with the -df switch......:(

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-08-2002, 04:27 PM
I turned off ALL caching on the proxy server, rebooted the proxy server and still get the same error message when trying to run foldit.bat:
Downloading update, please wait...
Authenticity failed or download incomplete/corrupt. Get update from http://www.distributedfolding.org/

Ody
04-08-2002, 04:40 PM
:cheers:

pointwood
04-08-2002, 05:04 PM
I'm at my parents and they have a really lousy connection (56k modem, but it runs max. like a 28.8 modem :swear: ).

I connected, started the client and it updated perfectly (after waiting quite some time for it to finish the download).

Again I noticed that when I closed the client the first time after it has updated, it doesn't close the console?! It ends with a "Done." in the console and I have to close the console manually. Next time I start client and close it again, it closes the console properly.

Overall: Great work Howard! :smoking:

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-08-2002, 05:14 PM
Went to plan B: deleted all files in distributed folding directory. Installed a new download in all DF directories and restarted the NT service.

This is very time consuming on ;) both ;) of my P4 1.4 Ghz machines.

Ni!

Brian the Fist
04-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Just want to point out again, if you do NOT want it to ask you for confirmation about the download (ie. it says Do you wnat to Download? (y/n)) but you want it to automatically download, create a file called 'autoupdate.cfg' (be careful with spelling). Make it with notepad or PICO and it should contain a single line with the number '1' on it.
That's it.
Why do we do this? Why isn't this the default behaviour? As I have mentioned before, our stance on privacy is that nothing should be put on your machine without your explicit consent. By forcing you to either hit 'y' or to create the autoupdate.cfg file, you are in effect giving us your consent to put update files on your machine. I think it is unfortunate that people already take for granted how much junk is literally pushed onto our machines these days, doing something as simple as browsing the web.

And to MilleniumGuy: it is definitely your caching software. My squid proxy was the same, but after about 4-5 hrs. they did start updating themselves. I suggest you just wait and they'll get the message eventually :spank: Less work for you that way

ProteinCowboy
04-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Autoupdate is not working for me. I'm running DF as a service on 6 WinNT SP6 boxes, and have created the .cfg file for non-interactive updates. Still won't update without me stopping the service and then starting the console... otherwise it just keeps on folding the old protein. Kinda frustrating really.

pointwood
04-08-2002, 06:14 PM
I think it is great that you are making an effort to make this project secure and take care of people privacy - thanks!

:offtopic:
Now, I've asked this before without getting an answer, so I try again :bang: ;)

It would be *really nice* if it was possible to upload structures from the old protein for a certain amount of time (a few weeks or whatever is possible) after an update. Otherwise this client simply isn't very attractive for offline machines :(

Another issue I just thought of (and also off topic here, sorry): I have earlier experienced that the client only deleted the filelist.txt when it updated a client, leaving a lot of work units (WU's) behind (taking up space). It is somewhat connected to the issue before - it should upload those WU's before deleting the filelist.txt file. If that isn't possible, it should mark those files as old or something, making it easy for me to remove those files or maybe make it possible to configure the client to automatically delete old WU's.

ohms18k
04-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Why do we do this? Why isn't this the default behaviour? As I have mentioned before, our stance on privacy is that nothing should be put on your machine without your explicit consent. By forcing you to either hit 'y' or to create the autoupdate.cfg file, you are in effect giving us your consent to put update files on your machine. I think it is unfortunate that people already take for granted how much junk is literally pushed onto our machines these days, doing something as simple as browsing the web.

Thanks for the info Brian the Fist, I new it was something I missed. I'll be using the autoupdate.cfg file for the next update.
:cheers:

MAD-ness
04-08-2002, 07:38 PM
My one box running the CLI client with an autoupdate.cfg file did NOT autoupdate, but I think it may have been because the file was not properly named. I renamed it to autoupdate.cfg, but I think it might have kept the .txt extension for a net result of autoupdate.cfg.txt which I did not notice.

Just something to check for those of you who had autoupdate.cfg set up but still had to press "y".

/me hates making stupid errors.

:)

Paratima
04-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Overall :thumbs: ! My NT4 and W2K boxen auto-updated just fine, whether running as service or not.

Of two very nearly identical W98SE units, one updated and continued. The other was waiting till I got home and just moved the mouse! Did absolutely nothing else! It was sitting there with the "signature verified" msg on screen, but doing nothing! Then it "woke up", unpacked the update, and took off. The error log has just a time stamp of when I "woke it up", no error msg. ?????????

Probably not worth doing anything further to research. Just reporting to be thorough.

JTrinkle
04-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Paratima,
mine did the exact same thing. 3 of the 5 win98 boxes updated and went on their merry way. the other 2 updated as soon as the mouse moved.
all the Win2k boxes updated perfectly.

all in all 16 of 18 CPU's updated without any help from me.

pretty good but not perfect!!

-Jim

ddrogers
04-08-2002, 08:23 PM
I did the same mistake as another user did.......had .txt at the end of autoupdate.cfg

Paratima
04-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by JTrinkle
Paratima,
mine did the exact same thing. 3 of the 5 win98 boxes updated and went on their merry way. the other 2 updated as soon as the mouse moved.
<snip>AHA! With over 6K users, I KNEW it must have happened to someone else. ;) Well, I don't think it's a show-stopper, but it is fairly annoying, when everything else went so smoothly.

Maybe someone's trying to give us the message: Upgrade, you fools! :p

Kosh
04-08-2002, 09:11 PM
The windows clients updated ok for me (XP and W2k)
Both linux clients were waiting for the Y although autoupdate.cfg was there with the 1 in it. I was running with the -df switch so this might be the same problem ulv was talking about.

Shaktai
04-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Both of my Macs and 1 of my Windows XP boxes updated fine. One XP box didn't, but that was because I mispelled the autoupdate file name. :confused:

Question. If in the autoupdate.cfg file you put a return after the 1, would that create a problem for some folks. I noticed when I created my files, that I tended to put in a return after the 1, and ended up going back and deleting it.

Other than my error, a flawless update. :thumbs:

David R
Team MacNN

Michelle
04-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Seamless here - all machines, various OS's.

Scoofy12
04-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Of my 1 XP and 2 98SE boxes running text client, 1 2k and 1 XP box running as a service all updated themselves without any help (except the one where i forgot autoupdate.cfg, which updated when i hit y). As for the 24-machine linux cluster... well i sat in the lab and wached the thermometer hit 1,002,000,000ish structures and snuck in an upload before the protein changed :D
restarting after that i managed to catch you updating the server, but once it was back up they all updated themselves without any issues:thumbs:

jkeating
04-08-2002, 11:06 PM
The good news... 4 - Win98 and 1 - W2K Server updated ok... :thumbs:

The bad(?) news... When I noticed the protein change over, I happened to check a slow (400 MHz) box and saw that it was only on 2,500 of 10,000 for the old protein. Being the impatient person that I am and not wanting to crunch through another 7500 worthless structures on a slow box, I pressed "Q" to stop the CLI; it tried to upload, and of course it wouldn't take the old structures which I expected. Then I restarted the CLI, it check for a newer version, downloaded it, and then started crunching the old protein again which I didn't expect. :eek:

I figured I fudged it up :bang: and ended up downloading the new CLI to get it up and running again. This was also a Win98 box

Chris Wolfe
04-08-2002, 11:44 PM
2 XP machines updated text client just fine. I am curious though. Why does updating the screensaver require a reboot?

bwkaz
04-08-2002, 11:47 PM
Worked perfectly!

Running it in Linux, with the autoupdate.cfg, with a return at the end of the line (but then again, Windows editors in my experience tend to do some strange things to files... like adding .txt to the end, and adding extra return characters... so that might be it for some people).

Actually, I wouldn't have even noticed anything different, without the e-mail saying there was an update. And the structure size getting bigger, of course. But it still crunches through them at about the same rate (which is odd, I think... any reason why this is? Is it something with the geometry of the structure?).

Overall, great job Howard! :thumbs: again, just for good measure.

IronBits
04-08-2002, 11:47 PM
my .EXE was dated March 23rd, and none of my 13 boxen updated. I got a big fat ZERO for 12 hours. :swear:

CSMan
04-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Worked perfectly. Running as a service on WinXP with March 26th version.

guru
04-09-2002, 01:21 AM
It failed again for me. As I stated before this is the last time I deal with this problem. I'm outa this project.

Laterz
guru

magnav0x
04-09-2002, 02:26 AM
kudos on the hard work that you and your guys put into this client Howard. I had mixed results on the previous auto-updates, but this auto-update went flawlessly on its own while I was at the movies :) (WinXP) Thanks again!

IronBits
04-09-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by guru
It failed again for me. As I stated before this is the last time I deal with this problem. I'm outa this project.

Laterz
guru
Genome needs you bud! :D

pointwood
04-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ddrogers
I did the same mistake as another user did.......had .txt at the end of autoupdate.cfg IIRC, that stupid notepad editor automatically adds .txt to all files it edits :bang:

brsullivan
04-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Ironbits don't friggin recruit people away from DF just because you are an idiot.:spank:

If you had been paying attention during the last update or read any bug reports you would know that vMAR23 does not auto-update. Last update mine failed too because I had the mar23 version so I upgraded to apr1 and it worked perfectly this time. I am just surprised how well Howard has kept his composure when there are goofballs posting these kind of comments.

Comments such as these (personal attacks) are not welcome here... Clean it up please!!
-JTrinkle

pointwood
04-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by brsullivan
Ironbits don't friggin recruit people away from DF just because you are an idiot.:spank: Calm down please!

IronBits isn't recruiting anyone away from DF - he was talking to Guru which have already stated that he stopped because of these problems and furthermore, Guru and IronBits are on the same team...

bwkaz
04-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by pointwood
IIRC, that stupid notepad editor automatically adds .txt to all files it edits :bang: <Windows tip> Not if you either:

(a) Put the filename in quotes, or

(b) Select "All Files (*.*)" for the file type (or whatever Notepad/Wordpad/your favorite editor calls it) field.

</Windows tip>

Just so some people can get it around this misfeature that seems to exist in most Windows editors.

The funny thing is, it's been 6 months since I've booted Windows on this machine, and I still remember that kind of thing... sometimes I scare myself :eek:

And continuing in the theme of "use as many graemlins as possible" (is that what everybody calls them, graemlins, or just the people at LNO's boards?), it's time for a :haddock: for the people that came up with that idea...

Terminator
04-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Just to update from my earlier post - The kit at work failed because of a yet unsolved "issue" with the web proxy in the Smoothwall software firewall package, disabled the web proxy and everything then automatically updated, re-enabled the proxy and the clients were then trying to upload every 10,000 not 5,000, disabled the proxy and back to 5,000 as normal :confused:

If anyone is using Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org) and is working OK could you let me know the web proxy configuration details you are using.

Thanks

Brian the Fist
04-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Terminator: If you can give me some details of your proxy config and send me the proxy.cfg you are using (trades@mshri.on.ca) I can take a look.
Thanks to MilleniumKnight/KWSN, we have fairly complex proxy support for both basic and NTLM authentication, so unless your proxy uses only Kerberos, it should work fine.

GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK
04-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by bwkaz
<Windows tip> Not if you either:

(a) Put the filename in quotes, or

(people that came up with that idea... ...

The Filename in quotes...?does that include the extension?

i'e..is it 'autoupdate'.cfg ?

Can't use the text editor in Xp to give me anything but a .txt file?? :help:

Ta Muchly!!

Oh...and NI!!:D

Shaktai
04-09-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK

Ta Muchly!!

Oh...and NI!!:D

With Notepad the easiest thing to do is select "Save As" from the file menu, Change file type option from "text" to "all files". It will save it without adding .txt to the file name. And yes that is in XP. I am sure Wordpad has a similar option, but I haven't tried it.

bwkaz
04-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK

Ta Muchly!!

Oh...and NI!!:D Yes, that does include the extension, and it's double quotes (the shifted apostrophe on most keyboards, at least English QWERTY ones). It will look like this:

"autoupdate.cfg"

Or, you could do as Shaktai proposed and just select "all files".

brsullivan
04-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Because calling someone an idiot is not "of a highly personal nature which impugn the character and honesty of named individuals," I would hardly call it a personal attack.

Never the less, I was rather annoyed that IronBits first complained that his boxes were not updated and then planted the notion that Guru should join Genome. As a forum Admin I would have hoped Ironbits caught our discussion about vmar23 not updating properly. However, thats perfectly excusable, thats why we are all here, to help one another.

What is not cool though, is assuming that his error was somehow Howard's or DF's fault and then encouraging one of our ranks to join another team. Yes, Pointwood does point out that Guru already said he was leaving, but I would have prefered some words of encouragement to stick with it. And, yes they are on the same team. I don't care if he was his next door neighbor, people browsing this board could be negatively impacted by Ironbits' comments and leave the project.

In essence I felt Ironbits' comments only further added to the negativity of Guru's comment. If Guru is going to quit the project because of his client not updating, don't tell us unless you want help to fix it! Saying that you are throwing in the towel does no one a bit of good. For example, if the rationale was that he didn't like the way the client looked, thats fine Guru can start a thread and we can debate why we like or dislike it. Instead his reasoning for leaving was a bug, one which Howard has fixed for everyone that I know of, with no explanation.

Don't post your grips unless you want help fixing them, and definitely don't throw logs on this fire of ignorance. Frankly this DC project is one I really like, unlike the other ones out there, so losing anyone, on my team or not, is dissapointing.:cry:

Kosh
04-09-2002, 11:11 PM
The way I read the conversation IronBits did not say anything to the effect that it was Howard's fault. And IMHO it wouldn't be right to ask someone like guru to spend the time to manually update his clients, it would be far better to wait for a while until the update system is a little more refined (it's still not certain that all the bugs have been fixed, otherwise Howard would not have started this thread in the first place).

I don't see the negativity here, in fact guru even offered to donate a computer for the development of another client. Of course it's disappointing to lose someone (especially one of the top producers for your team), but you can't demand that they watch over and update their clients at every protein change.

Just another way of looking at things.

ColinT
04-09-2002, 11:20 PM
IB calls me an Idiot all the time. I am honored! I really AM an idiot:cool:

Guru and IB are good friends. They go way back. I really don't see what the problem is.

IronBits
04-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Thanks kosh, took the words right out of my mouth. :thumbs:

I guess some had not noticed that I've been on the DF project, almost from day one, and still do participate with 7 AMD 1.2 GHz on average, fast computers. That I (as did a few others) brought it to the attention of the Free-DC community and did alot of cheerleading (as did alot of others) to kick it off. I guess some folks also don't know that guru and Dyyryath pack alot of fire power and have hundreds of computers at their disposal, and frankly, I would not want to have to go around to each and every one of them every couple of weeks to make sure they got updated. Both have left for the time being, but they will come back eventually, but in the meantime... they need to put their boxen to good use elsewhere. ;)

I also know the project is still beta, still has bugs. I have spoken with Howard in Email. I then spoke with Dyyryath to help explain what I saw going on in the beginning, (not that I helped much) who then spoke with Howard to help identify some uploading/server load balancing problems that was going on. As some of us know, Dyyryath is great at it, and does it for a living. I also spoke to Howard about moving his Forum over here on the Free-DC.org Server, which is located in the next room, because I felt the other place he was at previously would hinder the cause, thus the project. Dyyryath picked up that ball, created the Forum, as only he can, and Howard setup shop. There were others behind the scenes doing many other things, like ColinT, JTrinkle, and Marc_1, who is the IRC Server admin, and all the other contributors that write articles and FAQs etc. While it is true I have moved 6 of my computers onto another project, quietly, it is also true I missed the version upgrade notice thru all of the ruckus, it is still ALL Relics Fault! ;)
"and now, you know the rest of the story"... 'good day' ...

Now let's get back to Crunching and reporting problems, so Howard can get this project up to level GOLD release sooner, and so we can get some more heavy hitters (those with access to large corporate fleets) and all the other little guys like me, that can add up quickly and is the mainstay of any project, back into the fold. ;)
If you are interested in learning more what goes on around here, you can checkout www.dbestern.com :confused:

Paratima
04-09-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ColinT
IB calls me an Idiot all the time. I am honored! I really AM an idiot:cool: All those years of paint-ball fumes... ;)

IronBits
04-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ColinT
IB calls me an Idiot all the time. I am honored! I really AM an idiot:cool:

You're not getting off the hook that easy. I refuse to throw your home phone number away, one of the best sources of information and technical support. Nope, uh uh, not gonna happen. You're more of an idiot than I am if you think that was gonna work! Nice try tho, Master ColinTATOR! :D
Now back to on topic conversation I hope -

I applogize to Howard and humble myself before him for forgiveness. :notworthy

brsullivan
04-10-2002, 10:10 AM
Okay, so maybe I overreacted just a wee little bit. And maybe I read more into Ironbits' comments instead of just taking them as friendly banter.:D

Ironbits, hope your six little babies come back to us one day.:cry:

Terminator
04-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
Terminator: If you can give me some details of your proxy config and send me the proxy.cfg you are using (trades@mshri.on.ca) I can take a look.
Thanks to MilleniumKnight/KWSN, we have fairly complex proxy support for both basic and NTLM authentication, so unless your proxy uses only Kerberos, it should work fine. Thanks for the reply Howard, the firewall doesn't use authenication of any sort. Smoothwall's "Web Proxy" is really the web caching function and the way Smoothwall cache's appears to be causing the problems with the autoupgrade, sorry for any confusion :)