PDA

View Full Version : Starting a gauntlet?

Robert Radford
03-27-2004, 12:16 PM
The intro to this forum is labelled "starting a gauntlet." Given the other description, surely this forum should be described as "starting a gantlet." A gantlet is a chain of hazards intended to inflict punishment. Gauntlets are like mittens. You wear them for protection and comfort.

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Hmm But Gauntlets are fun... Virtually beating up opponents, trashing them totally, making them sweat and toil for every SINGLE point is where the fun is...
oh yeah Team Colonial - Bring IT On.....

magicfan241
03-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Robert Radford
The intro to this forum is labelled "starting a gauntlet." Given the other description, surely this forum should be described as "starting a gantlet." A gantlet is a chain of hazards intended to inflict punishment. Gauntlets are like mittens. You wear them for protection and comfort.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Welcome to the looneyhouse that is the Trash Talk forum.

I would rather call them "blood sport competitions", but I don't think that would go over very well....

Go Team Colonials! Down with the Empire!

magicfan241

Anteraan
03-27-2004, 07:17 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gauntlet

Robert Radford
03-27-2004, 07:42 PM
"http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gauntlet"

If the misuse of the word only came into effect in 1676, it can hardly be considered established.

Richard Clyne
03-27-2004, 07:54 PM
If the misuse of the word only came into effect in 1676, it can hardly be considered established.

:rotfl:

Anteraan
03-27-2004, 09:46 PM
"http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gauntlet"

If that is so, then I guess all the words we have invented in the last 328 years "can hardly be considered established" as well. Thus, you are now forbidden to use the following terms (among others):

Computer
Hard Drive
RAM
ROM
Laptop
Automobile
Engine
Interstate
Motorcycle
Radar
Motherboard
Microwave
Protein Folding
Centrino
Airplane
Aircraft Carrier
Aerodynamics
Plyometrics
DSL
Duallie
Electricity
Cotton Gin
NATO
Camera
Battery
Bicycle
Fax
Dishwasher
Zipper
World War I/II
Microphone
Nearly all elements of the Periodic Table, excepting Au, Ag, Cu, Pb, Fe, Hg, Sn, C, S, As, Sb, P, and Zn
CD
DVD
Flashlight
Plastic
Credit card
Penicillin
Velcro
Frisbee
Internet
Post-It Note
Space Shuttle
Vaccination
United States of America

Ok, post away! :jester:

Robert Radford
03-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Aha. I've smoked them out.

And in answer and in restraint, I'll merely recommend the reading of Poul Anderson's "Uncleftish Beholding," 1989, a short treatise on a scientific topic, as it might read if English were restricted to only its Anglo-Saxon roots.

In his essay, we have tale rather than number, togethermelt rather than fusion, round-around board of the firststuffs rather than periodic table of the elements, and so on. If we can write modern material in only Anglo-Saxon, then it is clear that the use of new words is an affectation rather than a necessity.