PDA

View Full Version : Switches question

rshepard
04-16-2004, 10:50 AM
What is the difference between the -i and -c switches?

What are the /b and /wait switches (in the startup batch file) for?

:confused:

michaelgarvie
04-20-2004, 12:26 PM
-c is connect time, the time it will wait to reconnect once it has been disconnected.
-i is interact time, while connect, every how often it contacts the server to inform it of its progress.

/B so that the client is loaded in the same window
/WAIT so that it waits for the client to exit before loading it up again

DrkNexus
04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by miguelgarvie
[B-i is interact time, while connect, every how often it contacts the server to inform it of its progress.
[/B]

One of the islands on which I run this project is a laptop which at times has only intermittent internet access, and sometimes doesn't stay at any given location (with AC power, Internet access, and therefore running the project) for longer than 20 minutes. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to lower the interact value?

It had crossed my mind that operating an intermittent island on the project might be detrimental to the project, but I didn't see any indication of that fact. If that is the case, please inform me.

The machine in question is an Athlon 2500+ XP Mobile, and as such is capable of fairly fast computations.

-DrkNexus-

*Knowing is just the beginning of the Battle*

michaelgarvie
04-21-2004, 06:43 AM
This is not detrimental at all
From http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe/faq.php#modem

You will need to be connected when you start up the client. From then on you can connect and disconnect as often as you like. Your island will exchange individuals whenever it finds a connection to the server. If you don't connect very often, it would behave as if it had a lower migration rate. Such islands would host ecological niches with solutions very different to those of the 'mainland'.

meckano
04-21-2004, 10:15 PM
I would like to know if there is a switch, and how to implement it, for setting it a step above priority 'low' so that my seti project can take over incase DHEP has down time.
- I just don't want them both taking cpu clocks at same time.
tks.

michaelgarvie
04-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Replace low by belownormal