PDA

View Full Version : Nix on a remote node

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I wanna install a *Nix box on what is a remote box in my attic - It don't got a CD rom drive in it, I've stuck a nix ext 2 partition and swapfile on it with enough space it has windows 98se on it atm, wondering if there was a way of installing a *nix flavour without the cd, I have 1 partition that is like 1.2gb so I was thinking of dumping the nix installer there and auto running the install from windows is that possible and if so can i still remote admin it from windows

Welnic
04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
As far as I know you can't run an installer from windows. You can boot into an installer with a couple of floppies and then download the rest. I did that a couple of times, now I download a cd image, burn that and use it. That is so much easier and faster that it is worth the $20 bucks for the cd drive even if you never use it again.

You pretty much have to have a monitor and keyboard for the install, once it is installed then it could run headless up in the attic. You would be able to run it from windows.

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-21-2004, 06:55 PM
cheers I think I will go get an image and sit by it - oh well i guess I can CHILL out :P
cheers :)
hmm what flavours - need something simple or would installing Knoppix be good enough lol