PDA

View Full Version : FreeDC takes 1 for last update.

Condor
04-27-2004, 10:05 AM
DP's Stats (http://lmbeta.dbestern.net/cgi-bin/render-teams.cgi?sortby=Last6WU&sortdir=DESC)

Can we keep it up ?
I'll stay with it.

Bok
04-27-2004, 10:20 AM
:drums: :drums: :drums:

Bok

FoBoT
04-27-2004, 11:11 AM
is anyone seeing a little problem that i get sometimes?

i have looked at a console or two and it seems to get stuck in a download loop, it just keeps saying something like

0.5% of XX downloaded

something like that about 20-30 lines, then some other junk and then it goes back into this downloading thing

if i stop it and restart it, it seems to be fine

anybody else seen something like this?

also, is there any way to install it as a service? i guess i need to check the website :blush:

Bok
04-27-2004, 11:20 AM
service - yes, but you already know now :)

I think the other problem might be either you are using an older client ? Or somethimes the server gets overloaded. It's worthwhile running it with a cache. The new client can cache up to 200 with '-c 200'

I tend to just use '-c 50'

Bok

FoBoT
04-27-2004, 11:25 AM
i have been using a cache, but it still gets in that loop

i don't recall when i downloaded it last

i'll download a fresh version, write my script to do the windows service install, put it all on my usb drive and install it onto some boxen and see what happens

maybe when installed as a service it won't do that

offamychain
04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Use the newest ".03" client. It's much more consistent than any other. The "loop" you're talking about is actually very common & almost always means their server is down. This happens quite often, but usually only for a couple hours at a time. If they are gonna have a scheduled outage longer than that, & they do every couple weeks, they'll post it in their forum.
That's why the big 200 cache is so nice, although I usually only set it around 75-125. This is a days work for a high-end AMD. You should NEVER see any type of "download" text until it completely finishes the cache. If you do, almost 100% of the time it is because the "-" tags aren't right.
This is how they should look. Notice the spaces. I first make a shortcut of the .exe file onto my desktop & edit it with these tags.

In the "target" box of the shortcut, you'll see something like this:

"C:\....\My Documents\....\Lifemapper_Cmd.exe"

Make it look like this:

"C:\....\My Documents\....Lifemapper_Cmd.exe" -c 150 -f

Notice the spaces again. It won't work without them. Now you have a cache of 150 (the "-c" part) & it will not upload nothing until it finishes all 150 (the "-f" part)

If you have, say 100 results, & you know the server is up at that time, it is always a good idea to remove the "-f", restart it, let it send & reset cache, then replace the "-f". This way, you're never stuck with a bunch of results & no uncrunched units when the server goes down. With the large 200 cache in the .03 client, you should never have to touch the machine for up to 3 days.

PCZ
04-27-2004, 05:59 PM
I started up 24 clients with -c 200 and it saturated my ADSL for 8 hrs.
This project eats bandwidth.

offamychain
04-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Try starting them up 15 or 30 minutes apart. After that, the difference in each computer will keep them spaced out enough. On an average 2000-series XP, if you use the "-f" tag, it will take around 48 hours before it even tries to connect. When it does, it will take around an hour to reload & send.

This can also be adjusted by assigning the clients a "Below Normal" priority in Windows, or a Nice value of about 7 in Linux. This will give some priority to any "regular" computing you're doing. It'll just take longer to complete the reload/send cycle.

You can also lower the cache, but this will simply cause the same thing to happen more often, but for a shorter period of time.

I've never attempted 24 clients, but I've easily managed a dozen or so on my DSL by spending a little time adjusting them & what ever other stuff I'm doing.

My usual total work-load is 160 Chess-clients, 12-15 "main" projects, a single instance of DNET running background on each cruncher, then whatever "normal" computing I'm doing on my main system, so this type of priority-tweaking can be done. If I can, anyone can.:) :) :)