PDA

View Full Version : Project Dolphin

Darkness Productions
04-12-2002, 02:50 PM
http://www.project-dolphin.net/

Basically, it count's the number of keys you press. It uses very little proc time, and is very simple to use. It only runs on winders, and the idea is not to run around installing it on users machines, but just to see how much you type in a given time period... Free-DC has a team (I created it) and we even managed to get team #69 (heh, 69... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )... Give it a whirl!

delerium721
04-14-2002, 09:19 PM
:cheers:

I thought i might as well join you in your efforts...

FoBoT
04-14-2002, 09:29 PM
wow

um, why?

i didn't see in the FAQ the "Why?" answer

:confused:

Alpha_7
04-15-2002, 03:51 AM
Sounds interesting... checking it out.. :)

Might run it for a while..

Papa Shango [JSI]
04-15-2002, 05:35 AM
erm.......whats the point? :confused:

sounds a bit pointless to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Darkness Productions
04-15-2002, 07:44 AM
Basically, they want to see how people type... IOW, they could find that people type more during the holidays. They could also do some statistical mapping (showing where people type the most)... etc

delerium721
04-15-2002, 03:43 PM
I just think that its a fun competition, unlike some of the other distributed programs this will run on a extremly slow computer and still allow the user a chance to rocket up the stats.

FoBoT
04-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by delerium721
still allow the user a chance to rocket up the stats.

you mean like by setting one of those rocking/drinking birds like homer simpson did?

http://www.scientificsonline.com/images/products/953.gif

Darkness Productions
04-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Yeah, cept they are working on proggies that will check for cheaters :)

p3ngu1nb0y
04-27-2002, 06:58 AM
It's not like they will catch that =P just get like two birds etc... I mean almost anything you do on the hardware side they won't be able to really tell they don't record the keys so how would they know? :D

Alpha_7
04-27-2002, 08:12 PM
How is Free-DC going in this ?
I can't find the team stats..

Daza
05-15-2002, 06:05 AM
w00t w00t, its the only time ill ever pass Mr mann so im gonna enjoy it :D :D :D :D

:moon: :moon: heh heh

dont you be telling me this isnt a real Project, its just differnt :D

Nitrousine
05-15-2002, 07:57 AM
http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?mode=team-look&step=look-this-team&TeamID=69

Free-DC team stats... in case anyone is still searching...

mr_mann
05-15-2002, 09:27 AM
well heck ill just have to put it back on my computer then :D

im always up for a good challenge :D :cheers:

Daza
05-16-2002, 12:09 AM
hmmm bugga :(

hehe

mr_mann
05-16-2002, 12:21 AM
dont worry daza u got a good enough lead on me :D i just turned it back on and its 11:24 at night :D so i wouldnt worry too much about your lead until i get it working on my work machine.. thats where i type the most :D tons and tons of typing :D

Daza
05-16-2002, 01:12 AM
I figure you would have a work machine which you would use alot, im at school all day and i wont be allowed to put it on the school machines

mr_mann
05-16-2002, 01:20 PM
:( im sorry Daza i just had to do it :(

ill ease up and let ya pass if u want :D but ive got allll day and night to type so i get a lot of it in :D

Alpha_7
05-16-2002, 11:55 PM
I'm coming third at the moment :)

and the Team is 85 :)

We need some more members people..

Daza
05-17-2002, 12:04 AM
hmm, the client has crashed on my machine, weird, i did have eccp on maximum piroity during the day though it shouldcome back if i restart.

It dont matter mr man, cuz i gottta sweet aviator now :P

FoBoT
05-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Daza

dont you be telling me this isnt a real Project, its just differnt :D

you guys are wacked :crazy:

Daza
05-17-2002, 06:38 AM
I deeply resent that comment and it has hurt my feelings, would yuo please appoligize.......LOL

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

heres my reply to that

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

mr_mann
05-19-2002, 09:21 PM
shouldnt this project have its own page too? and be put on the menu or something?!!?

Daza
05-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I think it should, its a good one for older computers as well, cpu makes no differnce

mr_mann
05-19-2002, 10:24 PM
good thinkin...

Daza
05-19-2002, 10:45 PM
you got a lead on me now mrman damnit

have a look at some of the leading peoples pulses, 550000 for one of them :shocked:

that is incredible

delerium721
05-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Im gonna do a DPC... hehe... its gonna be a while till my next good dump. I turned of pulsing of the server, and intend to go for a mega dump :spray:

mr_mann
05-20-2002, 07:47 PM
how big is a mega dump? :D

delerium721
05-20-2002, 08:12 PM
i heard you cant dump more than some 1 mil or something like that

mr_mann
05-20-2002, 08:47 PM
well my next dump will be about 15k so im not worried about that 1 meeeelion thingy :D

delerium721
05-21-2002, 01:09 AM
:cheers: hey we are on the same team... i didnt mean it as a threat by any means... i just thought i would give a fair warning that i was gonna save up lots of keys.

I think we should start to outproduce some people and climb instead of droping every time i go there. So i decided that im gonna type legit and store up a million keys

mr_mann
05-21-2002, 02:13 AM
well ive saved up about 30k on this computer i didnt check my work machine before i left! :D

Daza
05-21-2002, 02:19 AM
its time for me to add this programme to my mothers computer as well, and why not my sisters at the same time hehe

Daza
05-21-2002, 02:26 AM
notice that all who try project dophin stick with it, all the members of our team are active. if we want to stop falling ranks we have to get more members participating in this!!

Alpha_7
05-21-2002, 02:44 AM
Well I find that playing quake 3.. or even better Colin Mcrae Rally 2 are very good at upping you key count...

I run it all the time.. so whatever I am doing ... bar mouse work is helping the team :)

Daza
05-21-2002, 04:40 AM
mine runs nicely while i play C&C Renegade (demo, i know im cheap), i cant get Counter Strike to run on my desktop (wondering if xp pro has something to do with it) so unfortunatly it doesnt get any points of that :(

the client is a really good one, ya sorta forget its there

Alpha_7
05-21-2002, 06:05 AM
I found I could run it behind quake in full screen or window mode.

I haven't tired CS.. coz I haven't bothered to update to 1.4
But I would be fairly sure it would still work...

I'd find it unusual if it didn't....

maybe give it another test...

I could be wrong.. but I dont see why it wouldn't count the keys
pressed in Halflife.

Daza
05-21-2002, 06:59 AM
sorry, i didnt explain very clearly.

i cant install CS on my desktop, for some reason i dunno what it is, its a legal retail verson, my own CD key etcetc. whats more confusing is it works on my laptop!!?!?!?

delerium721
05-21-2002, 04:36 PM
lol, my dialup is acting up and i went to disconnect it and poof i dumped my stuff... ahhh now i have to start over :(

Nitrousine
05-22-2002, 11:08 PM
notice that all who try project dophin stick with it, all the members of our team are active. if we want to stop falling ranks we have to get more members participating in this!!

*whooops

//runs to download project-dolphin again.. (just restored a few days ago)

:p

Scoofy12
05-22-2002, 11:47 PM
I'm in :)

Daza
05-23-2002, 04:49 AM
thats what i wanted to hear :D

Wedge
05-23-2002, 10:51 AM
same here

alpha
05-28-2002, 07:57 AM

Actually, unless nirgle comes up with a FreeBSD (or Linux) client, my pulsing days are more or less over. The only time I have a windows box powered up is when I'm playing Mahjongg, which is all mouse-controlled :(

I've been working on a few personal projects lately on my main workstation, and I'm sure I'd be well into multiple million keystrokes by now :/

Oh well.

Matt

Alpha_7
05-28-2002, 09:14 AM
Sad to hear that Alpha...
I noticed I was gaining on you and you hadn't moved much...

email the guys about releasing a version for u...

that might just do it :)

alpha
05-28-2002, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I took a peak at the stats before I posted and noticed you had heartlessly taken advantage of my no-client-for-OS situation, you fiend. :D

I also just took a look on the forum on the website and apparently nirgle doesn't have enough Linux knowledge to port the software, so we're (or is it just me? :P) just gonna have to wait for someone else to port it.

Well I'll just have to put all my work on this windows box and type like hell to catch you :D

Matt

Alpha_7
05-28-2002, 09:57 AM
I hadn't realised I'd overtaken you.. but this week has been very busy for me.. I got dungeon siege and been playing it..
and I have also had major assignment due which have all been 30 pages + so lots of typing from me..
:)

Daza
05-29-2002, 03:06 AM
Isnt the project sorce code downloadable or something?, im sure i read somewhere that it was easily available. If this is so then wouldnt it be possible to have someone who knows something about linux adapt it??

alpha
05-29-2002, 05:19 AM
Isnt the project sorce code downloadable or something?, im sure i read somewhere that it was easily available. If this is so then wouldnt it be possible to have someone who knows something about linux adapt it??

According to the forum (and my memory from yesterday :rolleyes: ) the source was originally released but shortly after removed from the website. I don't know if nirgle suddenly realised people could cheat easier or something, but its gone now.

People in the forum have mentioned looking at the source to give them a start in writing a Linux/*BSD version, but apparently the only thing that needs to be written is a key trapper, because much of the communication code is similar, so nobody needs to see the source.

Matt

Daza
05-29-2002, 06:15 AM
hopefully a version wont be too far away then.

Have we climbed or slipped to 110th position??

i ahve had my eyes of the stats for a while

Alpha_7
05-29-2002, 07:31 AM
I thought we were 78th a while ago..
So I think we have slipped a bit.. some of the bigger sites have got lots of members doing it.

Daza
05-29-2002, 11:59 PM
from reading the forums it appears that to cheat all you have to do is backup your bin file which stores the key presses and then put the backed up file back into the folder after you pulse.

whilst i havent tried that at all it seems to be insanely simple and easy to do

alpha
05-30-2002, 05:02 AM
You could also just insanely bash the keyboard. Thats somewhat simpler :p No doubt some people are doing that :rolleyes:

Matt

Daza
05-30-2002, 06:33 AM
haha yeah, i have to admit when reading a web page now i sit there taping left right left right.......... and use the scroll wheel less

kinda stupid really

the best thing for it is to play a good FPS with it running in the background

alpha
06-02-2002, 04:07 AM
We've been producing some nice numbers over the past couple of days, but we're still slipping! :confused:

What the hell is it gonna take to keep these other teams at bay? Clearly more users on the team would be handy..

Matt

dragongoddess
06-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Why do I feel like this project may endanger my system. Are you sure its not a keylogger.

Supp
06-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Look at their privacy statement.
They say it isn't.

When project started, source code was available and it would still have been if there weren't cheaters...I'm sure that somebody read the code and I'm sure he'd raise alarm if client is keylogger.

just my 0.02$

Alpha_7
06-03-2002, 01:03 AM
Apart from study the files.. and what it transfers, its just a single packet of information
number of keys, and user number.

Thats it.

Its a safe client :)

alpha
06-03-2002, 02:20 AM
If actual keys were being logged, the higher the number of keystrokes you build up before pulsing would mean the more data being sent to the server. Being on a slow connection, I would notice the difference between the number "30,000" being sent, and 30,000 characters being sent. Of course, some kind of network monitor app could confirm this (winblows system monitor should do it).

Matt

Alpha_7
06-03-2002, 04:32 AM
Its funny though, dragon have you been as concerned with any of other project ? Seti, DF, genome are just as likely to be sending sensitive material as Project Dolphin.

Its just the fact its "counts" the keys, people have suscpicions that they log the keys.

dragongoddess
06-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Alpha_7
Its funny though, dragon have you been as concerned with any of other project ? Seti, DF, genome are just as likely to be sending sensitive material as Project Dolphin.

Its just the fact its "counts" the keys, people have suscpicions that they log the keys.

Well the only thing I run is SETI and it was running long before I joined so I would guess if there was a problem it would have been discovered buy now.
Second. It seems to me that there is little difference from counting keystrokes to recording them. What? A few lines of code and your keylogger is returning your passwords back to whom ever Dolphin is.
Just a bit too fishy for my tastes.

Daza
06-05-2002, 03:35 AM
Remeber that even if it did log your keys how would you know when looking at the returned results where the passwords were entered?? it would be very difficult to workout what it going on and would take agesas it only has the keys not what you were doing at the time or what you clicked on with the mouse if you follow me.

Anyway the number of keystrokes that they would receive in a day would be huge! the odds of them looking at your results in particular are very minimal

Tax Bracket
06-05-2002, 06:08 AM
:confused:

hmmm....not convinced by this project really.

Sorry guys...

tb.

alpha
06-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dragongoddess
Well the only thing I run is SETI and it was running long before I joined so I would guess if there was a problem it would have been discovered buy now.

Project Dolphin has been going for months now, therefore I could say exactly the same thing.

Second. It seems to me that there is little difference from counting keystrokes to recording them. What? A few lines of code and your keylogger is returning your passwords back to whom ever Dolphin is.
Just a bit too fishy for my tastes.

Read my last post in this thread. There would be a considerably larger amount of data sent back to the server if actual pressed characters were recorded.

No one is telling you to participate, if you don't like the idea, forget it.

Matt

Alpha_7
06-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Alpha are you gaining on me ???

I thought i would be taking a lead at the moment with the amount of uni work I have been typing up.. and my sunday lan action :)...

well no matter.. its all more keys for the team.

Supp
06-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Tip on improving our PrjDolphin score: help Distributed Proofreaders (http://charlz.dns2go.com/gutenberg/) , project which uses volunteers to check corectness of books which are then added to Project Gutenberg (I'm sure everybody knows it, if you don't look here (http://www.gutenberg.net/))

alpha
06-07-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Alpha_7
Alpha are you gaining on me ???

I thought i would be taking a lead at the moment with the amount of uni work I have been typing up.. and my sunday lan action :)...

well no matter.. its all more keys for the team.

I think you're truly out of reach now. I was typing quite a bit on my windows box a few days ago but haven't even powered it up since, can't take my eyes off of the World Cup action. You should be able to maintain your lead for now.. :)

Matt

alpha
06-07-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Supp
Tip on improving our PrjDolphin score: help Distributed Proofreaders (http://charlz.dns2go.com/gutenberg/) , project which uses volunteers to check corectness of books which are then added to Project Gutenberg (I'm sure everybody knows it, if you don't look here (http://www.gutenberg.net/))

I think the idea of Project Dolphin is to see how much you type, therefore I don't really want to go out of my way to do more typing, just to boost my stats. I would prefer to think "oh, I haven't typed much this week" than "oh man, I must go type more before that guy overtakes me!@#$". Maybe this is just my opinion, but I thought that was the general purpose of the project.

Matt

Supp
06-07-2002, 07:38 AM
Yeah, you're right! But some ppl complain, that stats this and stats that...so I just tried to nudge them in direction which is (at least I think) good for all mankind :)

Alpha_7
06-07-2002, 07:49 AM
Your quiet right it isn't meant to be competitive...

I was just continuing to competitiveness as a joke.. from when Daza and Mr mann were "dueling".

Occasionally when I am bored I tap keys in frustrations etc..

which I have had alot of.. this is my 3 day/night spent on Lab report that were due over 5 hours ago. I have one close to being finished but one I haven't started. They all inolved pages or results, equations and etc.. but also lots of Matlab and Computer simulations.. so I have been racking up a heap of keys...
Today was the last day of sememester.. in a week I have my first 2 exams.. both on sunday..

so You probably .. hopefully wont see too much of me..

and if u do.. let me to get back and study :D :D :D

Supp
06-07-2002, 05:40 PM
OT: Good luck Alpha_7!

Alpha_7
06-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Thanks man :)

Daza
06-08-2002, 04:09 AM
Wow i pressed 37 thousand keys on my laptop in the last while, manily cuz of LAN

Nitrousine
06-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Just added my parents computers to the team.
Mother types quite a bit, but father is like me and hardly types at all, rather plays Solitaire a lot :rolleyes: , so he mainly uses the mouse.

heheheh

Supp
06-11-2002, 11:56 AM
:bang: I was on CS/DoD lan party last weekend and forgot to install dolphin :(

Alpha_7
06-11-2002, 10:38 PM
Bugger :(

Daza
06-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Supp
:bang: I was on CS/DoD lan party last weekend and forgot to install dolphin :(

Bugga eh

Supp
06-12-2002, 06:14 PM
as I said :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Daza
06-13-2002, 04:47 AM
ahh well, on a lighter side you did break into the top 100 in eccp.

i was feeling happy about getting into the top 1000 lol

Alpha_7
06-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Whats happened ?

I've been zooming up the charts, with study and my new found addicition to competitions, I've done so much typing... and we lost a member ;(

On a lighter note.. today is my last exam :)

Tax Bracket
06-26-2002, 04:08 AM
Good Luck with the last one Alpha_7 !

delerium721
06-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Alpha, I am aware that this is happening also, i dont even know what is going on, i cant progress up the stats even when i spend tons of time typing....

:bang:

Alpha_7
06-27-2002, 12:43 AM
Is there a new client ?

I dont know its weird..

And all the exams are over thank goodness...

but its not going to be good getting the results back..

my worst exams in my course so far.. I think I'll be resitting some of my subjects :(

delerium721
06-27-2002, 04:30 PM
being a 19 yr old college student, i know where your coming from alpha... good luck :rolleyes:

Alpha_7
06-27-2002, 05:03 PM
Lol.. well good luck to you...

hope you do better then I did.

:)

much better...

delerium721
06-27-2002, 05:25 PM
lol, actually i had finals leading up to april 19th... so ive been done for a long time... and actually i might have done better than you... i got a 12 unit B and a 3 unit A...

delerium721
07-03-2002, 07:42 PM
I thought you all might be interested, especially the dolphin people. :eek:

http://www.theregus.com/content/55/25446.html

Alpha_7
07-03-2002, 11:53 PM
:cheers: delerium :)

Very interesting !

delerium721
07-07-2002, 04:19 AM
alpha7

i thought i would clue you in on your move to #1 just in case you didnt know. :|party|:

PY 222
07-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Well... looks like the stats on Project Dolphin are separated into two parts. One for the Team and the other for individuals.

Bugger. I am now ranked 9th in the Team. Must type more and get a hold of Number One, or if not, Number Two!

I was wondering whether any of you were interested in a Project Dolphin guntlet? :jester:

Alpha_7
07-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Just give it some time, it might move the keys across, then again it might not.. but give it time :)

I've been doing really well atm, as I have been entering competitions from 11 in the morning till 4am sleeping till 11 and then doing it again...

lots of typing, and 25 words of less, etc...

plus I'm on like 15 forums atm..

so I'm very busy..

plus been gaming a little (when comps) WC3, NWN, etc..

Alpha_7
07-10-2002, 10:00 PM
YEAH!!! Finally cracked 1000 I am now
999th in Project Dolphin!

Hurrah..:)

Sorry but its been a goal for ages.. and its always just been out of my grasp.

delerium721
07-11-2002, 01:01 AM
me wonders where DP is at, and his million + typed keys.... :sleepy:

PY 222
07-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Congrats Alpha_7 on joining the sub1000 position. Now onwards and we shall conquer Project Dolphin.

Btw. I found this post on the forum of Project Dolphin and someone is accussing DP of cheating. I am not too sure about the details but do check it out and see what you guys think.

http://project-dolphin.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3&start=40

Besides, I am more than confident that DP would not cheat on something so trival. Its all for fun.

So type type type!:crazy:

delerium721
07-11-2002, 07:18 PM
:swear: dasm, why the hell would anyone ever think that someone like dp would cheat, if anyone is cheating its those freaks on top of the board, not any of us small people....

I dont see why anyone would cheat then not head into the top 10-20, it seams so trivial to me.

delerium721
07-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Hmm, do i need to get my girlfriend to make a cheer for the proj dolphin team to get you all motivated :confused:

Daza
07-18-2002, 03:33 AM
Im not going to even bother looking at that link as i know that dp isnt the cheating type... i probably have pulses of say 17000 a couple of seconds after one of 7000 anyway. not because im cheating but because i use to boxen, a laptop and a desktop

PY 222
07-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by delerium721
Hmm, do i need to get my girlfriend to make a cheer for the proj dolphin team to get you all motivated :confused:

If you could, that will be great :jester: :jester: :|party|:

Anyhow, keep on typing...!! We need more members so that we can climb higher!

Moogie
07-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Think I'll give it a whirl. Mind if I join you?

Cheers! :cheers:

Moogie
07-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Hmmm...seems I can't get in at the moment. I'll try later. :)

Richard Clyne
07-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Moogie
Think I'll give it a whirl. Mind if I join you?

Cheers! :cheers:

Moogie, the amount of typing you do will certainly boost the team total:D

I downloaded the progam to try out on my work's computer, but it got as far as retreiving my account details and hung :(

I will try it on my home computer at some point :)

Moogie
07-21-2002, 03:26 PM
I'm in. :)

Let's get this thing moving!!!!!

:cheers: <<<=====first one's on me. :)

Richard Clyne
07-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Have home PC up and running Project Dolphin :)

Moogie
07-21-2002, 08:55 PM
That's great Richard! Now, we need to go recruit some more memembers! :)

Cheers!

Alpha_7
07-24-2002, 01:34 AM
Hey Guys,
Been busy with uni as its back in session now, but I noticed the new additions to the team :)

Welcome, and hopefully we can claw our way up the top 200 :)

Moogie
07-24-2002, 01:43 AM
Thanks Alpha_7! I think we are on our way. :)

PY 222
08-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Oh noooooooooooooo.... Moogie is right behind me.

/me better start typing more :cool:

alpha
09-18-2002, 04:39 PM
I noticed that we've been slipping lately, so I convinced a friend to participate, and join the Free-DC team. I don't know if he will stick with it, or type much, but another member can't be a bad thing :|party|:

Scoofy12
09-18-2002, 08:26 PM
hm... guess i could reinstall the client :)

Alpha_7
09-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Well I have 2 Machines running it and Katrums is my fiance so all up we have 3 boxes here running it, although the amount that gets typed varies greatly... :D Keep recruiting !

PY 222
09-19-2002, 03:25 AM
I have been pretty steady at producing keystrokes for the Team. So you can always count on me producing keystrokes for the Team.

alpha
09-19-2002, 04:15 AM
Scoofy: I tested the latest alpha release of the client, and if you are looking for more features/functionality, just wait for it, its an improvement to say the least :)

PY: I should be more or less permanently active now. I had a dry spell where I was using only FreeBSD, but I've convinced myself to start sshd and work from Windows via PuTTY.

Alpha: I've just started a large project for school/college that should be good for a handful of keystrokes. Watch out ;)

Scoofy12
09-19-2002, 12:08 PM
It wasn't that i got rid of the client bc i didnt like it... just that I reinstalled windows and never got around to putting it back in :)

As you can see from the stats, i have it now :)

Although I would like the ability to change the name in my account, either from the client or on the site. I mistyped my first name when i put it in and dont see any way to change it! :cry: