PDA

View Full Version : What's up with EON?

magnav0x
04-28-2004, 07:56 PM
What's going on with EON. I every Windows box I've installed it on, it is actualy only doing something about 1% of the time. My two linux boxes seem to go 24/7 100%.

FoBoT
04-28-2004, 09:30 PM
i think there is a trick for windows

i went to stick it onto a windows box tonight and it was running 0% cpu (like you are saying)

i remember using some command line switch on another box a long time ago, but i looked for it on the other box and i had deleted it

it is on some website or something , but i am pretty sure i remember using a .bat file to include some switch to tell it to use my client.cfg instead of the registry entry , something like that. my memory is a bit flaky :gone:

Bok
04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
hmm, not sure. I've not really ran the windows client much at all.

Perhaps a member of US-D would share the info here.....

or, no wait a minute, that would be giving away secrets.. right OAMC :p

:rotfl:

Bok

magnav0x
04-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Are you sure that was the eon client? I remember a client for some project needing specifications like that, but I think it was the new Stage 3 chessbrain client :scratch:

PCZ
04-28-2004, 11:07 PM
There is no trick to running it in windows.

Ok I will tell you what I do.

I downloaded the exe from the EON download page and installed it on one PC.
I did not run it.

I then went into the c:\eon\program directory and copied all the files in there to another directory on my hard drive.

This was just a temporary holding place so its name is not important.
I then uninstalled EON.

So I now have all the EON files and none of the registry crap.
I renamed the directory I made earlier containing the copied EON files to EON.

I edited the client.cfg file and added my email address

Then I copied this directory to one of my file servers so I can use it to roll out more windows EON clients.

I had to do the above steps because there is no other way to get the files .
You only need to do it once though.

You can open a cmd window CD to the EON directory and run client.exe and it will
run, using the client.cfg.

By far the best way to run it is as a service using our old friends instsrv and srvany
which is how I run it in windows.

magnav0x
04-28-2004, 11:55 PM
I run it about the same as you PCZ (service style with instsrv and srvany), but I may look into removing the registry settings and going with a pure .cfg configuration in the future if I keep having problems.

FoBoT
04-29-2004, 12:00 AM
:bonk: the server was probably just out of work :bonk:
n/m

offamychain
04-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah, Bok, I probaly need to keep my mouth shut on those things, 'for someone puts a price on my head.:D :D :D Ain't that thing I do all the time called "espionage"?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But really, I'd have to answer about the same as Bok. I gave up on Windows/Eon a long time ago, so don't know much about it.

The server constantly runs out of work for an hour or so at a time--always has, always will. Nothing you can do about that but leave it alone & wait. But, on ANY OS, Eon, even when running normally, has much down-time compared to most other DC-Projects.

I automatically put a secondary program, usually DNET, on every boxen running Eon. If you don't, you're wasteing cycles. For example, with DNET running background like this, it will usually complete 1 or 2 WU/day with LM or DF, but a dozen or so with Eon.

Geo
04-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Bok
hmm, not sure. I've not really ran the windows client much at all.

Perhaps a member of US-D would share the info here.....

or, no wait a minute, that would be giving away secrets.. right OAMC :p

:rotfl:

Bok

I'm just looking at your forum as there are several people here that I consider to be friends if only on-line friends and I follow threads that they post in which brings me here.
I have no issues sharing information and even posted here when I found a program for FAD that I thought your members might be interested in.
Several FDC members have helped me in the past while @ US-D and I still like to stay in touch as I consider them to be good guys.

Live long and Crunch :) ,

Cowboy@US-D

Bok
04-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Geo,

I still have friends at US-D I'm in touch with fairly often..

A little humour goes a long ways anyway :jester:

Bok :D

offamychain
04-29-2004, 03:35 PM
That's about the whole tamale right there Geo. I never did return your PM. Been a little busy, not anti-social, sorry.

It's something that can be joked about to help ease the sting from this these type of false accusations. They have been levied against at least 2 ex-USD members here, myself included. In my personal case, it happened at least twice, & at at least 2 different sites, this one included, for the simple reason that I was doing some chatting elsewhere than strictly on the USD forum.

It was not about "secrets" either time-far from it-wasn't ANYTHING about US-D. So I could only assume that I, & probaly others, were being followed as a tiny type of "thought police" thing.

But that only occurs at US-D, so we joke about it here. Helps take the "edge" off of stuff. Say what you want here. This is one place that enjoys conversation. And you want get accused or corrected unless you REALLY!!!! screw up. And even when it's done then, it'll have one of these at the end.:neener: :neener:

Geo
04-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I like the things at the end:)
FDC has shared in the past and OAMC, you've helped me considerably and as I said I consider a number of you guys as friends:cheers:

Ancient Vulcan saying "Live long and crunch":cheers:

offamychain
04-29-2004, 04:26 PM
And I will continue to help any member of USD or FDC that asks for my help, cause 99.9% of the members of both places I consider friends. The circumstances that ultimately forced me, & several other ex-USD members here, to leave had exactly 0% to do with the membership.

On the contrary, leaving the membership behind was a VERY sad thing for me to do. But that's all over now. Time to crunch.

Evilmoose
04-30-2004, 12:48 AM
Geo:cheers:
That all that needs to be said

wait one more thing,

You have to admit that we have better smilies
:Pokes: :|punch|: :haddock: :spank: :moon: :whip: :fight: :flame: :bonk: :machgun: :sniper: :weggy: :neener:

:tempted:

:evil:

Geo
04-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Joe,

YES! You guys do have better smilies :thumbs:

Geo :cheers: