PDA

View Full Version : Time to fight for EON!

magicfan241
05-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Well, the boys at US-D are kicking it up a notch. I'm proposing what we did for RC5, do be done again!

3 Weeks, No Holds Barred, Drag-out Competition.

Starting on the 15th, to correspond with the ending of the DES thing (it I got my days correct)

This time, we can have TWO teams:

The Imperials
vs.
The Colonials

The Imperialswould be Europe, and the Colonials would be those whose country was a colony first.

I, as Free-DC Hydra East, raise my hand in the defending of the Free-DC EON contingent. Anyone else with me?

magicfan241

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-03-2004, 04:27 PM
You mean what we want to do in DF as well ;) If I was running EON I would be in but I got enough runnning D2OL, LifeMapper & DF on my 6.8Ghz :)
Good luck :thumbs: - Up Team Imperial :)

magnav0x
05-03-2004, 06:23 PM
The Colonials shall never back down! :bonk:

excaliber
05-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I'll join in after DES. Colonials for me :)

Bok
05-03-2004, 07:08 PM
hmmm, would I be a Colonial or an Imperial :crazy:

Bok :D

PCZ
05-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Bok
The same as me Imperial :D

When DES is finished we take No1 back in EON. :thumbs:

Bok
05-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Imperial it is then....back to my roots :)

Just don't tell my son ;)

Bok

offamychain
05-03-2004, 09:37 PM
I love to see this type of comradery within a team. My 2 most powerful Windows crunchers are down with the flu. Should be back tonight or tomorrow. Will switch at least 2, besides the 3 Linux boxes, to Eon & keep them there however long necessary.

Anybody know if Eon prefers P4's or XP's with Windows??

(I'm 100% American that's proud of my Scottish heritage...Donnell=O'Donnell:D :D )

Bok
05-03-2004, 09:40 PM
/me thinks we are going to need some gauntlet statage......

:machgun: :sniper: :tempted:

PCZ
05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
It looks like DES will be finished earlier than we thought.

We might be able to start the gauntlet this weekend.

Bok
Bring on the gauntlet stats :cheers:

offamychain
05-04-2004, 03:20 PM
This would also be a perfect time to hit them on several fronts at one time. With the amount of resources FDC has available, it could easily be done. It's obvious, by their dramatic increase in Eon output, that they've been scanning the forums & already know what's up.

Let's get another 10 or 15 machines on NFS, add 2 or 3 extra clients to each computer running ChessBrain (I run 13 on each & average 20/day on 11 or 12 machines), & do our already planned Eon gauntlet. Within a couple weeks, we would pass them in all 3 projects.

Anybody game?

magicfan241
05-04-2004, 03:54 PM
OffAMyChain:

Time for the BlitzKreig?

I'm going to bring everything I can get around to EON. Many things are out of my control, but I should be able to bring 3-5Ghz easily.

I'll try out ChessBrain. Never ran it before. I'll see how it goes. I'll start with one client on each machine to make sure it works, and go from there.

I'm all for a multi-front blast on US-D! Let's show them what Free-DC can really do!

I'm kicking the fans on my baby to screaming, O/C'ing it to what I run it at during gauntlets, and borging everything. If we show a good front, US-D dosen't stand a chance. I'm moving a bunch from RC5 to EON, and I'll see what else I can do.

Let's do this!

magicfan241

Bok
05-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm not that keen on NFS to be honest, but I should really go and make sure at least one instance of CB is running on my linux boxes..I've only got it running on 7 or 8 windows boxen, so all the linux boxes are not running it.

The windows boxes are running LM or MD5 at the moment.

Bok

Bok
05-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by magicfan241
OffAMyChain:

Time for the BlitzKreig?

I'm going to bring everything I can get around to EON. Many things are out of my control, but I should be able to bring 3-5Ghz easily.

I'll try out ChessBrain. Never ran it before. I'll see how it goes. I'll start with one client on each machine to make sure it works, and go from there.

I'm all for a multi-front blast on US-D! Let's show them what Free-DC can really do!

I'm kicking the fans on my baby to screaming, O/C'ing it to what I run it at during gauntlets, and borging everything. If we show a good front, US-D dosen't stand a chance. I'm moving a bunch from RC5 to EON, and I'll see what else I can do.

Let's do this!

magicfan241

And it's about time I got off my lazy butt and got those 4 mobos & procs etc sent to you anyway. I'll make a concerted effort tonight to package them up before '24' is on :)

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Okay, so as the uk,,,, sorry England and Wales was a Colony of the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago which camp should we be in?? and quite a few countries in Europe ( no i don't count England in that group) were colonys too. So is there a cut off date, or should the governing power had to have ruled for ,,, say 50 years over another country?? How does the US of A stand with regards to the Philippines, so should the USA be in the Imperial camp.:Pokes: :Pokes: Should Russia be a colony because of the CCCP, but then again who knows.

I think we should go back to the city states and work from there, so Rome was a city state...... aha everyone is a colonial except anyone from Rome, who all have to be Imperial. They started it you know.........

So how does this work, i have no idea, i would think we stay in the Free DC team on the EON stats, and we are sub divided somewhere else??

As i can't decide which camp to be in, i am not quite sure what to do.

Bok
05-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Helix,

we just sub divide the stats 'manually'. Actually I'll do some php to just display them directly from my DB for the users in the team and starting from the day we begin the gauntlet.

As for which team,

I'll let MagicFan try to explain this one :jester:

my take is Europe born vs the rest but it's not strict :)

Bok

PCZ
05-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Helix

We carry on crunching/folding for Free-DC as normal.

Within the ranks of Free-DC we form 2 teams, or more.
Somebody keeps seperate gauntlet stats {Well voluntered Bok :cheers: }

Basically it is working out to be the USA against the rest of the world.
I would be quite happy if the team names changed to reflect this.
We want everyone to be comfortable with it so lets sort it out

magicfan241
05-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Bok is right on the split. I am very confusing most of the time, and almost never explain myself. :)

I have 3 Cybiko's here with Web access. Anyone willing ot write a client for them?

magicfan241

magicfan241
05-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I think is it best USA/Canada vs. the world...god that brings back old guantlet memories (from Ars TSF in 2002....)...all we need now is someone like Guzzler to fight against.....

I'm comforatable with whatever names you want, so long as I'm not wearing IB's pink dress.

I just got the client installed on my machine, I'll see how it goes

magicfan241

PCZ
05-04-2004, 04:52 PM
USA and Canada on the same side :jester:

Excuse me I have watched too many episodes of south park

PS
Tell us about Guzzler

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Just to make sure that i have not been taken the wrong way. My post was very very tongue in cheek. I am sure BOK will understand my "humor"

So in the same vein, should Europe get a few years head start on the USA. Then they can come charging over the hill and win for the rest of us.

Anyhow, will finish DES first. Need to keep in front of Ironbits, just hanging on. Then get other DC projects running again Lifemapper, CP, and maybe DF.

But i think i will be with the Imperial might team, against the johnny come lately US of A colonials.

Gauntlet thrown down me thinks, you guys don't stand a chance, we have at least 5 hour head start on you every day.

:cheers: :jester:

magicfan241
05-04-2004, 05:10 PM
PCZ: Guzzler was well, the shit when it came to big producers. He was the second person to pass 100Million in Phase I of DF, and had enough computing power that we created a Guzzler vs. The World Gauntlet.

Here is the thread:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=6890940135&p=1

This had more twists and turns in it than anything. It was a extremely close race until we found out that the stats forgot to include the people that were added after the gauntlet started. We all pushed harder than anything we had done before, with PackSwede doing insane weekly dumps that he was doing to try and keep us ahead of the Guzzle Colaition. That was the best Gauntlet. Nothing has come close since.

This was the point that when we pushed TSF to #1.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen quite a few of the people I was with on the Anti-Guzzle Colaition in a long time.

Time to go check on PackSwede and Ody.......

magicfan241

Fozzie
05-04-2004, 05:12 PM
always up for some crushing of the Colonial scum. ;)

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-04-2004, 05:35 PM
^ ^ ^ ^
what he said

magnav0x
05-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Is it just me or are there only like 2 colonials including me? :cry:

offamychain
05-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, somebody brought up the "where you was born" thing. I was born in Amarillo, which is in Texas, which all full-blood Texans proudly proclaim to be a separate Republic, which has chosen to align itself with the great U.S.A.

And of course both of us, USA & Texas, are tickled to fight beside our Northern neighbors. So count me in on the USA/Texas/Canada team.:D :D :D

http://www.beckmanninn.com/images/flag.gif

magnav0x
05-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Ah yes, us Texans will use any excuse to fight :D

Bok
05-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Well, if it's lop-sided I can run on the other side, guess I'm almost there :) Dual-citizenship in a few years time :cheers:

But, then you also have FoBoT if he joins in..

Bok

p.s. IF anyone has any ideas on what to add in the stats, feel free.

I have some ideas and will try and get them out tomorrow for perusal.

We need two names and two banners though.....

automatic Stomps within and cross-team will be included :)

This is going to be fun! :drums: :elephant: :bouncy:

PCZ
05-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Bok

It's a trick by the Colonials don't fall for it.

rshepard
05-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Well I'll be darned if this Okie is gonna sit back and let you Texas boys have all the fun---
count me in with the Colonials.:thumbs:

Now when do we start again?

excaliber
05-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Seems that way to me, and I've only got one lonely little boxen to help out with :cry:

magicfan241
05-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Errr.... You were counting me as a colonial, right?

Born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Live outside of Philadelphia, and if you don't get more colonial than that, well, you are smoking some good shit and you need to give me some.

magicfan241

magicfan241
05-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Here is the list I have currently (post if I did something wrong with team):

Teh Evil Imperials:
Gopher
PCZ
Bok
Helix
Fozzie (teh muppet of doom)

Teh Supar Colonials:
magicfan241 (as Hydra East)
magnav0x
excaliber
OffAMyChain
rshepard

I'm not going to say anything about what I'm going to put into this, but let's just say it is more than I have on right now. :)

magicfan241

IronBits
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm in! :hifi: :D
Teh Supar Colonials:

:fight: :whip:

:cheers:

Paratima
05-04-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm in (Colonials) if I can remember how to configure/run this silly client! :scratch:

Somebody help me here... :help:

Paratima
05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Never mind. Got one Linux box running. Now to try WinDoze. :rolleyes:

Is the WinDoze client still... :sleepy:

offamychain
05-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Not trying to go too "off-topic", so I'll shut up after this.

Ya'll heard about the recent argument in the Congress between the Texas & Alaska politicians? Seems that Alaska wanted more representation based on size, not population. Of course this upset the Texan badly & he started running his mouth a little too much. The Alaskan took all he could take, finally stood up, & told the Texan--"If you don't shut up about Texas, I'll make a motion to split Alaska in half & make Texas the THIRD largest state.":dump: :dump:

Oh yeah, Para, yes, the Wins are 3-5 times slower than Linux. But it still does OK on high-end XP's & P4's running Win.

Also, Eon has LOTS of down-time that you can't do nothing about. Put a secondary project on, I do RC5, & set it at 1 notch lower priority. Go to "task manager" & make sure Eon is getting 90-95% CPU & the "other" one only gets 3-6% occasionaly. This will let the 2nd program pick up when Eon sleeps (maybe 10 minutes/hour) & it'll give it back when Eon wakes up. Makes me about 15 RC5 units a day---basically for free.

Bok
05-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Never mind. Got one Linux box running. Now to try WinDoze. :rolleyes:

Is the WinDoze client still... :sleepy:

Paratima,

no, it's not too bad nowadays (server changes). Just make sure you run the CLI version that is installed with the screensaver and switch the screensaver off.

Bok

Paratima
05-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll see how many of these I can bring on board. I notice I'm not showing up on the stats pages any more. Maybe just coming active again will take care of that. Bok: I may need some help getting back on the stats page.

Bok
05-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Thanks, guys. I'll see how many of these I can bring on board. I notice I'm not showing up on the stats pages any more. Maybe just coming active again will take care of that.

Hmmm, you've lost your affiliation with Free-DC, just login on the site and choose it again and you should be fine.

If not, I can mail Graeme and he'll fix it for you.

It's a known problem which he has been unable to track down, occurs infrequently (and it's never happened to me). I got access to the server at one point in order to help him, but my perl coding was rusty at the time and I never got any further. Maybe down the line...

Bok :D

Paratima
05-04-2004, 11:31 PM
OK, I'm back in. That's the 2nd or 3rd time I've had to do that.

Perl, huh? Maybe we should get Dyyryath interested. :D He's a whiz at Perl. I'm pretty rusty with it, myself.

Evilmoose
05-05-2004, 12:30 AM
If someone can give me a simple(linux for dummies) way of running on knoppix I'll join the gauntlet. The 4000 units I have done were done on windows:bang: . I see the error of my ways but am linux challenged:crazy:

Bok
05-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Evilmoose
If someone can give me a simple(linux for dummies) way of running on knoppix I'll join the gauntlet. The 4000 units I have done were done on windows:bang: . I see the error of my ways but am linux challenged:crazy:

Windows should be ok EM, it's a lot better than it was :)

As for knoppix, well I have a few laptops myself running knoppix, but I've not been able to get Eon running on them, due to it not being statically compiled and requiring a certain libstdc++ which the current knoppix does not have. Tried for a while to alter ldconfig to point to a writable dir (ramdisk) but without success.

Only way I see to do it would be to build a knoppix disk custom. Or perhaps boot off a Gentoo livecd :)

Bok

magnav0x
05-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah just boot of a gentoo livecd :P It will run under Gentoo nicely. Good ole xbox under the TV is running Gentoo and crunching eon :D It might as well do something while it's not being used to play stupid games :cheers:

magnav0x
05-05-2004, 01:00 AM
I have a feeling this will turn into Colonials VS. Bok/PCZ

Evilmoose
05-05-2004, 01:47 AM
So bok, Windows is fine or are just just scared of me running with linux on the colonial side:)
Ill give gentoo live cd a shot and probably need some help:trash:

Evilmoose
05-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Like where to dowload it from?
Can you supply a link?

offamychain
05-05-2004, 03:20 AM
Uumm, I didn't know the Win-client had been improved. Wasn't trying to spread false info. I've got 3 RH9's & 3 WinServers on it now.

Moose, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for. I think it's a Gentoo link. If so, here's where I get my Linux's. Always have good luck with this place. No corrupt ISO's.

http://www.linuxiso.org/

PCZ
05-05-2004, 04:19 AM
Oh Dear.

I keep checking out the pile of motherboards, that was my PXE farm.
Must sell them one day I really must

Wonder if they still work :D

IronBits
05-05-2004, 09:00 AM
:swear: :bang: :help:

I'm thinking we should have a Bok vs PCZ rumble ;)

PCZ
05-05-2004, 09:09 AM
IB

No way

This is another Colonial trick to weaken the Imperial team :jester:

Bok
05-05-2004, 09:23 AM
:rotfl: :whistle:

Bok

IronBits
05-05-2004, 09:37 AM
:scared:

/me desperately looks for PCZ's wife's email addy :rolleyes: :D

Fozzie
05-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Fozzie RK him in TSC while he does some Eon WUs.

:beep:

magnav0x
05-05-2004, 11:43 AM
EvilMoose,

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml

Be sure to get the full livecd. If you decide you want to install it on your systems there is a STEP-BY-STEP guide here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1

magicfan241
05-05-2004, 02:53 PM
DES is finished now, so people should be moving their stuff over in the next few hours.

I vote to move the start to Tuesday, May 11, 12:00AM EST, because I'll be getting home from the Yes concert, and I'll be awake to make sure everything goes well

magicfan241

Bok
05-05-2004, 03:02 PM
I should have the gauntlet stats in place by then. I aimed to get them done by saturday, but bug fixes to the regular stats today have interfered (as well as real work :swear: )

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Magicfan - Bring It...
count me in.. gonna kick ass (I hope)

magicfan241
05-05-2004, 04:11 PM
gopher: I'm adding an extra machine because of you....

Teh Supar Colonials are teh Winnars!

magicfan241

Fozzie
05-05-2004, 04:19 PM
it requires too frequent access to the home server.

magicfan241
05-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Well, I won'tbe adding this machine to E0N because it refuses to unpack the setup package.

I'll put it on NFSNET

magicfan241

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-05-2004, 04:27 PM
darn it Fozzie I can't win all on my own... I'll give it a darn good try :>:crazy:

Bok
05-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, I won'tbe adding this machine to E0N because it refuses to unpack the setup package.

I'll put it on NFSNET

magicfan241

I presume this is on winblows.

You shouldn't need to, just pull out the program files/UW Washington/eon/program directory from one machine and put it on the other, then run the CLI (client.exe)

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree with magicfan241, Tuesday, May 11, 12:00AM EST to start the EON gauntlet

magicfan241
05-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Bok: This is the only windows machine I use. If I can't get it to work easily here, I can't put it on the other computers.

I have NFSNET running on the machine right now, even if it is going in redirect/register loops. If that dosen't get working, I'll see what else I can do.

I hope I can get the whole E0N thing fixed before the gauntlet start, but I don't want to lose out on CPU time.

magicfan241

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Eon - how the fook do you configure the CLI cos it's on a machine that is behind a router / firewall PC

magicfan241
05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
NEW TEAM LIST:

Here is the list I have currently (post if I did something wrong with team):

Teh Evil Imperials:
Gopher
PCZ
Bok
Helix
Fozzie (teh muppet of doom)--nixed

Teh Supar Colonials:
magicfan241 (as Hydra East)
magnav0x
excaliber
OffAMyChain
rshepard
IB
Paratima
EvilMoose

Let's Get READY TO RUMBLE!!!

US-D Can't STAND THE HEAT!!!

LET'S KICK THEM OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!

magicfan241

PCZ
05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
You have to open port 10240 on your firewall

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-05-2004, 05:37 PM
okay :) erm thinks okay opening that port and point it at that pc on the s/ware router / firewall thing

Evilmoose
05-05-2004, 05:46 PM
I put one windows box on it but my stats are not merging?
Did I forget something :bang: Its been awhile.

Bok
05-05-2004, 06:01 PM
EM, check the client.cfg and make sure the email= is set correctly, alter it if necessary.

You are showing twice on the stats, one has a name of evilmoose>evilmoose from the underlying rawdata I get which is indicitive (sp?) of the email being wrong, I seem to remember windows messing it up on the install.

Bok

Bok
05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Bok: This is the only windows machine I use. If I can't get it to work easily here, I can't put it on the other computers.

I have NFSNET running on the machine right now, even if it is going in redirect/register loops. If that dosen't get working, I'll see what else I can do.

I hope I can get the whole E0N thing fixed before the gauntlet start, but I don't want to lose out on CPU time.

magicfan241

sounds like you need a zip of the program directory. If someone can send one, or I'll install it later on windows and send one to you. Got to head out now to shoot some pool :)

Bok

Evilmoose
05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Its comming back to me now:blush:
Are the units crunched without the right email in limbo. I saw several users with two names in the stats.

magicfan241
05-05-2004, 07:11 PM
I have some bad news. My companion of 9 years, my guinea pig Alice died a little while ago. I just buried her in amongst the rasberries, and the house feels so empty without her.

I'm dedicating my production for this gauntlet to my Guinea pig, the only person in my life who would always listen to me. Rest in Peace, my loyal companion, and may the food bowls you encounter in the afterlife always be full of peppers and carrots.

Bok: If you would send a directory, I'd be grateful. Send it to steven@scripko.org , because it has a 50.00MB inbox, while my otherone is a 4.89 of 5.00 MB :)

magicfan241

excaliber
05-05-2004, 08:29 PM
What a stupidly run project! Horrible client!

The server queue, apparently, isn't good.
It uses nonstandard ports.

And lastly, it keeps changing my email in the .cfg to anonymous!

Whys it doing that?!

IronBits
05-05-2004, 08:36 PM
I have some bad news. My companion of 9 years, my guinea pig Alice died a little while ago. I just buried her in amongst the rasberries, and the house feels so empty without her. magicfan241 :cry: :(

offamychain
05-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Seems several people are a little confused. I'll be posting as good of a "How-To" as I can in the Eon forum in about an hour. Have patience & don't make it harder than it is. Eon is one of the simplest projects we have. Look for my post after while. Maybe it'll help you out.

BrianM
05-07-2004, 09:47 AM
I have had the same problem with getting the results from my 2 pc's to merge.:bang: My qustion is what do I use to open client.cfg to check and see if the e-mail addresses are the same so I get credit from both pc's?:confused: I know I am getting credit from one pc but not the other.:swear:

PCZ
05-07-2004, 09:57 AM
If you are using windows then open the file with wordpad.
Don't use notepad !!

Disregard the above.
It appears that you have to use notepad and not wordpad !!
Very odd

BrianM
05-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Ok thanks PCZ!

offamychain
05-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Para may have solved the problem. Read the newest post in the EON forum.

Please don't fire me for double....err....triple posting.:Pokes: :Pokes:

Welnic
05-08-2004, 02:33 AM
I think that it said use notepad not wordpad.

IronBits
05-08-2004, 10:59 AM
I say we take #1 during the gauntlet!!! :D

University of Washington 1,111,575
US-Distributed 670,574
Free-DC 590,430

PCZ
05-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I say we take #1 during the gauntlet!!!

Thats a big hill to climb IB.

Got more boxes to commit ?

magicfan241
05-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I've got a couple more I can add on during the gauntlet. Around 2Ghz or so.

Teh Supar Colonials are Teh WINNARS!

magicfan241

IronBits
05-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
Thats a big hill to climb IB.

Got more boxes to commit ? You bet, should be hitting 1200+ per day...
That'll help some :cheers: