PDA

View Full Version : Eon Instructs For WinXP/WinServer.

offamychain
05-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Instruct's for Eon on WinXP and WinServer. If anyone needs instruct's for RedHat9 Linux, let me know. It runs much better with Linux, but RH9 is the only one I know. I'll start at the very beginning, for a brand new user. You can decide if you can leave any steps out.

1. First, go here: http://eon.chem.washington.edu/groups/user_add.php
Put in whatever addy you want, as long as it's a good one. I suggest your regular DC'ing addy. After you click "Create User", it should now give a "You weren't found" message. If it says you're already in database, best thing is to use another addy.

2. Now go to this E-Mail & get your password. Then go here: http://eon.chem.washington.edu/groups/user_edit.php
Put in the E-Mail addy, password, hit "Edit". This should open up a "Current EON Stats" page.

3. On this page, change your password to something easier if you want to, choose a nickname (probaly the one you use on the other projects), & choose "Free-DC" in the pull-down menu (it's near the top). Click "Save Changes". It should confirm the saves.

4. Download this: http://eon.chem.washington.edu/install/eon_install.exe
Now go find this download & double-click it. Let it go to it's default folder (Program Files) & when it asks for your "User Name" put in THE EMAIL ADDRESS!!, ***NOT*** your usual user-name. Click OK & it should finish the install. This one step is the MAIN problem of people loosing their stats, name, team affiliation, etc.

5. Now go to the "UW Chemistry" folder (something like that) in Program Files, open it, find the "client.exe" file, right-click it, & send a shortcut to the desktop. While you're here, you can also delete "readme.txt" & "eon_bws.bmp" files if you want to.

6. Go to "C:/Windows", find the "Eon.scr" file & delete it (unless you want the screensaver to come on). Leave the "eonClient.txt" file that's beside it.

7. Right-click on the desktop & choose "Properties". Then click the "screensaver" tab, set your screensaver back to "none", "apply" it, then "OK" it. The Eon install may, or may not, reset your screensaver, so this step may be unnecessary.

8. Lastly, go to the desktop & double-click the shortcut. It should open a DOS-box, which you can minimize, & after several seconds you'll see "Valid signature detected. client app signature is good. Dimer Initialize" And below that, a few seconds later "Dimer DoAssignment Dimer: Start"

The client is now running (as long as the server is up, which it is right now). All that's left is to start about 6-10 Chess clients & a "secondary" project of your choice. (DNET works well). Go into "Task Manager", set Eon (client.exe) to "Normal", all CB's to "Above Normal", & the secondary project to "Low".

Now turn the monitor off, leave it alone & let it crunch. You should show up in the stats, under the "nickname" you chose in step #3, in a couple hours. If you have any problems, let one of us Eon guys know & we'll try to help ya.

David

http://eon.chem.washington.edu/header.jpg

Paratima
05-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Why does it sometimes reset my client.cfg username back to "anonymous"? How to prevent it doing this?

Also, do you know any way to run it behind a corporate firewall? When I set up the proxy info in the cfg file, it just gets reset to defaults (see above) and ignored.

offamychain
05-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Not real sure about the firewall thing, but I'll try to find out for ya.

On the reset thing, are you using the E-Mail or a User-Name? (See in post above) If you don't use the E-Mail, you may often have various problems like this. I lost about a months stats until I figured out that this needs to be set up under the EM addy. The "nickname" part of the set-up is where you chose how you'll be listed.

If you don't have any stats to speak of, try following the above instructs & use a totally new EM & UserName. This is what I eventually had to do. (Notice that I'm listed as "OffAMyChain2", instead of "offamychain":D :D )

It has worked flawlessly since.

I'll edit the above post if I find out anything about the firewall problem.

magnav0x
05-06-2004, 12:36 AM
I think the reseting may have something to do with registry stuff. I think I've heard Bok or one of the other Eon gurus talk about a fix for that somewhere.

Paratima
05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Email addy, not handle. Runs fine under Linux. I mean, all day, all night, Marianne!

Occasionally gets dropped from the team anyway & has to be manually reinserted.

I'm operating under a pretty high frustration factor with this project. Graeme dropped by once & explained the science. Nada about the implementation. Nada from the UW people, afaik.

I could run a bunch of boxen if the proxy thing could be made to work.

I just set up a fresh install on Windoze & got the same thing - cfg file being overwritten. I fixed the file & write-protected the bitch! Have now shut down other boxen running this client & will wait & see in the ayem if getting credit.

I've tried PCZ's method of deinstalling so as to eliminate the registry flags, btw. No joy there, either.

excaliber
05-06-2004, 01:17 AM
No go here. Keeps resetting email.

I'm dropping out of the gauntlet. It's obvious are computing time is not being appreciated fully, and I don't think I've ever seen an admin of the project post anywhere. Sorry all, I just don't ahve the patience to deal with this (and I'm leaving town in a few days.)

offamychain
05-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Para..You are right about the Linux-thing. It runs permanently on my 3 RH9 boxen & MUCH faster. Eon is definitely optimized for Linux OS's, at least for RedHat...that's the only one I know.

The client WILL work either way with the E-Mail or Handle, as long as you are consistent on one-or-the-other. However, this being a favorite of mine, I have experimented alot with it & the above method seems to be the most stable way of installing it.

I've been through the whole battery of dropped names, dropped team, even have 1 account in the EON database, with about 250 results, that is completely "locked-up". When I finally started doing it like this, about 2 or 3 months ago, I've had ZERO problems. So I know it works, but it may not work 100% of the time.

On the registry stuff, that's another thing I can't answer right now, mainly 'cause I've never had that problem. I DID find one small key in my registry related to Eon, but it deals strictly with the screensaver, which I always immediately disable when loading the program. The key isn't set at anything in mine & is located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Univ.of Wash. Dept.of Chem."
Yours may be different though.

Exc...Don't quit on us yet. We haven't even really started good.:) :) Let us help you out & you'll be running soon. Lots of these projects have somewhat "vague" usefullness & many of the clients & servers can be finicky until you find that one little thing that needs to be done different. Give it a rest & try again tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Took me a couple MONTHS before I finally nailed it, but I'm not very smart.:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

excaliber
05-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Maybe when I get back from my trip. Until then, I'm running DPAD (as I know how to set that up). I also have a certain fondness for DPAD, as I'm also running an FTP server for that project.

Paratima
05-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Well, it ran all night on my main Winders box, generating points for Anon Y. Mous. :rolleyes:

That box goes back to Climate Prediction and the Linux box goes back to EON. I'll look at it again tonight after Real Work. Thanks for your help & encouragemant, David. I've got a few points piled up, but not THAT many. I may just try a clean start. We'll see. More important to be making points for the team. ;)

PCZ
05-06-2004, 08:46 AM
ALL
I am glad some of you guys have confirmed what I suspected.

Some time ago I tried to setup a windows box running EON which had to talk to the web through a proxy server.
What happened is that the email address kept being changed to anonymous.

Every time I started the client, the client.cfg was overwritten and my email address was replaced by anonymous.
When I removed the proxy info from the client.cfg this behaviour was not evident.

I gave up trying to use the proxy server and concluded that the windows version of EON has a nasty BUG when you try to set proxy info.

Paratima
05-06-2004, 10:08 AM
It's not just the email address. Something causes the whole client.cfg to be rewritten with default values.

Seems like we, the horsepower, shouldn't have to work this hard to get a client to run... :rolleyes: Is the source code for this thing available?

offamychain
05-06-2004, 01:19 PM
That's one thing I know nothing about, is the proxy stuff. I do know that there are several settings in the config file related to proxys & firewalls. Maybe the "active" setting beside "firewall" has something to do with it.

The code for the framework is supposedly here: http://fida.chem.washington.edu/

And the science part is available by request from: graeme@u.washington.edu

Don't know if any of that will help or not. This kinda stuff I know nothing about. You might try EM'ing Graeme to see if he knows any fixes. He used to be one of the more helpful DC-administrators, but it's been a while since I've talked to him.

Paratima
05-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Well, well, well. Looky what I found whilst cruising the Aspenleaf DC site:

"Help research techniques for "calculating the long time dynamics of systems" in the eOn project. From the website: "A common problem in theoretical chemistry, condensed matter physics and materials science is the calculation of the time evolution of an atomic scale system where, for example, chemical reactions and/or diffusion occur." Interesting events occur so rarely that they can only be observed in direct simulations by using a distributed computing environment. See a brief scientific overview for a more detailed description of this problem. The project works in a similar way to Folding@Home in that results from one set of work units are used to generate the next set of work units. Unlike Folding@Home, it is not critical if some users don't return the results of their work units within a time limit or at all. The current project studies ice growth.

The application is built on the Fida and Mithral distributed computing platforms. The Windows client can run as a screensaver (which doesn't show any information about what it's doing), or as a command-line client (run the client.exe executable in the installed directory). Note that although you have the option to install the client in any directory, the screensaver expects it to be installed in C:\Program Files\UW Chemistry\ Eon (this bug will be fixed soon). The Linux client is command-line only. The application supports users behind proxy servers. Edit the client.cfg file: change active to yes, and add your proxy server hostname and port number. Note: on Windows, only use notepad to edit client.cfg. wordpad and the DOS edit command strip off important end-of-line characters in the file and client.exe will reset it to its default values. In dtpad you will see an empty rectangle character after each field: this is the end-of-line character and it must not be removed. "

Emphasis added. Lost wisdom of the ancients. I'm ready for Tuesday now! :D

P.S. Would be nice if this were in the readme, no?

offamychain
05-08-2004, 01:36 AM
GRRR-AAATE find Para. Wish I coulda claimed that one for my own.:D :D :D

Looks to me like that's the answer to alot of these guys problems. I hope so. Hope you don't mind, but since we're practically setting on top of an EON rally now, I'm gonna post this by itself so everyone will notice it.

This could prove to be a significant find.

IronBits
05-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Good one matey! :cheers:

IronBits
02-06-2005, 10:08 PM
How do you get logging turned on in winders ?

loglevel=0 I started with 1, then 2, then ended up at 5 and the logfile is still 0 bytes :bang:

PCZ
02-07-2005, 03:34 AM
:swear:

Well guess who has been crunching for anonymous.

I set up a windows box a day or so ago {a dual mp2600} to compare the output to my linux boxes.
The bug is still there that resets the cfg file if you use wordpad.

I just edited it using notepad and the settings stayed.
Bit tricky filling in the email addy between the rectangles.
Only need to do it once though as the config file can be reused on any windows box I setup.