PDA

View Full Version : Help with VMWare?

rshepard
05-07-2004, 07:34 AM
OK, here's the scenario:
I have 3 Linux (Gentoo) boxes. Each one is running 3 VMWare sessions, 1 Win2kServer and 2 WinXP. They are set up to auto-start the 3 sessions on boot-up. So yesterday I was doing some cable routing and had to reboot the boxes. All the Win2k sessions started fine, but 3 of the XP sessions came back with this message:

"Unable to open either the disk "INET2V2.mdk" or the redo log. Failed to configure disk ide0:0. The virtual machine cannot be powered on with an unconfigured disk."

Any ideas what the problem could be? They were running fine before the reboot.:bang: :help:

Dyyryath
05-07-2004, 09:42 AM
I assume that you've checked in your virtual machine directory to ensure that the disk file is there? Have you run fsck on the partition that contains the vm directory to make sure that you don't have any problem with the Linux filesystem it resides on?

VMWare is wonderful, but it can occasionally be tricky. I spent the last couple of days working out a USB problem between it and my host OS.

rshepard
05-07-2004, 11:11 AM
While checking to make sure the file was there, I noticed that the WRITELOCK file was present-- apparently when I did a hard restart, the lockfile didn't get wiped :blush:

Deleted the lockfiles, and restarted, and everything works.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

:notworthy