PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlet Stats

Bok
05-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Posting this in a new thread so it's not overlooked.

Stats are here (http://stats.open-dc.org/gauntlet)

Anyone who wants to join in , let me or magicfan241 know and you'll be added. Seems like the colonials could use some help :Pokes:

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Stats look great.

Question regards the v3netsend failed message. If we get this message (iam getting loads)

1- do we loose points?
2- is the work done over again?

What does it mean?

:cheers:

Bok
05-11-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm not totally sure, but I think it just means there was a communications error with the server, it then waits a while before trying to connect.

You can stop and start it up again.

Work is not redone again, mainly because I believe multiple clients process the same workunit for redundancy.

On the points side, I'd guess that unit would not be added due to the fact that there was a communications error.

Hopefully all of these will be corrected in the coming months once the server is upgraded and moved.

In the meantime I strongly recommend as per OffAMyChain running a second project at a lower priority.

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Looks to be downloading ok ish. Nothing seems to have been uploaded in the last hour.

? has Graeme ask us to stop killing his server yet?:bang:

spoke to soon,,,, just up loaded a few.:Pokes:

offamychain
05-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Honestly, the best way to run EON, is to start it up, watch the DOS-box, & hopefully you will see about 3 messages something like this "Dimer Initialize, Dimer DoAssignment, Dimer: Start".

When you see these, turn the monitor off & leave the computer alone. It's doing what it's supposed to & there's nothing else you can really do to help it.

This way, you don't have to waste time "baby-sitting" a working machine. I have Eon going permanently on 3 machines & may not look at them for a week, other than to make sure they're still alive.

Not trying to sound smart or nothing, but this Gauntlet has had a bunch of people pondering continually over the "NetSend" errors & stuff like that. This is just a fact of life with Eon, as with almost every other DC-project we run.

EVERY individual, including me, gets these errors, so it all works out the same. Just start it up, when you see the "Dimer: Start", leave it alone & let it crunch. It's doing it's job & there's nothing else you can do to help it. Use the stats to make sure the computers are sending in data, not the computer itself.:D :D :D

Once again, don't mean to sound like a butt-hole or nothing...I'm not...it's just that Eon is one of the simplest projects we have & people are making it more difficult than it actually is.

willy1
05-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Maybe we're just trying to understand what happens when the "v3 NetSend" error happens, and why it happens.

Does the client stop for a specific time before trying to resend, does it start working on another piece of work (where does it get the other piece of work?), what exactly happens? Will the client queue up a bunch of work that it can't send, or does it just end up in the bit bucket?

Is this a network problem on the server end, or a sign that the server is just overloaded?

Just blithely letting a client sit idle because it has problems sending work seems very inefficient.

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I am well aware that eOn is setup for simple people to use. Looking at the stats and not the computer I can see that when it has run through a “WU” using 100% cpu power, if it gets a netsend failed message the work is discarded (as in thrown away). So the secondary DC project that is running has been sitting doin’ nothing whilst eOn is throwing “WU’s” away. If this project has been running for so long why have the admin for the project not answered all these question. Then we would not have all these problems now.

Bok
05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Because he is extremely busy right now.

I'm sure that the scenario you describe is correct. If you want to have your PC(s) working productively for every second of every day, then this is not the project for you. No project can give you that, but I agree that this one is causing less production than others at the moment.

We all just need to accept that or not run it until the server migration occurs and other fixes happen in the timelines I mentioned last night.

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-11-2004, 03:15 PM
i vote stop until the server is able to handle the load. oh i just have stopped. I would accept, the down time, but can't take the waist of work being thrown out.

BrianM
05-12-2004, 01:27 AM
Looks like US-D got us by a little more than 1,000 for the day.:bang:

magicfan241
05-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Charge forth Colonials!!

We have beaten then a number of times, let's show them that we are not to be messed with!

I'm trying to add a few more machines, let's see how many I can add on, and everyone go all out for a little bit!

Remember, Linux >Windows AND
Colonials > Imperials

magicfan241, beating down teh Evil Imperials with his micro chrome beatdown stick!

Bok
05-12-2004, 09:15 AM
hmm, the layout got borked once some stomps came in, I'll have to fix that :)

Bok