PDA

View Full Version : Change

Paratima
05-12-2004, 10:04 AM
My Windoze boxen have gone back to other projects. Overnight, they got one result in five back to the mother ship successfully. 20% ain't good enough. Climate Prediction and FAD are taking advantage of the break.

The Linux box ("Big Al") will keep crunching EON as it doesn't seem to have suffered as badly. Part of its running will be some tests to try to find out (among other things):

1. Does Linux actually drop fewer msgs than Windows? If so, why?

2. Can proxy connection actually be made to work without a program change? Linux? Windows?

I'll report back...

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-12-2004, 11:08 AM
I will be interested to hear the results, regards windows >< Linux.

I wish i only lost 20%. After checking my PC's for the few hours that i ran yesterday, i think i lost between 70-80%.

Paratima
05-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Helix, re-read post. :D 20% success is what I'm reporting. Only one out of five got thru!
Test proceeding.

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Thank goodness that you have the same result as me.

i wonder what the success rate is for linux.

I run my windows boxes out through an adsl router. I don't think the problem is at the user end, looks like people (for some reason) have been happy to throw away a vast amount of work, can't think why. You would think they would run the app and check the stats to see if all work is arriving okay at the DB server.

Doin' quite well in Lifemapper now though, and a bit of MD5crk.

Paratima
05-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Well, golly! Today was just more fun that I can tell y'all about! ;) I was just about to conclude that not only did the EON client not work thru a proxy, Windoze or Linucks, but that there were no programs written, anywhere, ever, that work thru a proxy!

Then I read my email.

From Network Services (we have regular debates about this department's name): The Proxy Server xxx.xxxx.net will be down for maintenance from 07:00 EDT to 21:00 EDT on Wednesday, May 5th. The server and attendent routers are being upgraded/replaced, blah, blah, blah, etc. :rolleyes: Oh, well.

What I WAS able to test was rshepard's post speculating about a noted difference between the clients, to wit:

Speculation: the Linux client is not "faster", but rather is not losing the results on the v3 error, while the Windows client does. Nope. Sorry. If you get the "V3NetSend failed" msg, that w.u. is toast. However, for some reason not yet determined, my home L-box pretty consistently gets fewer of these than my W-boxen. :confused: Dunno. If I could bottle it, I'd sell it. :p More results as they come in. No, I am NOT going back in to the office tonight. Just forget it.

P.S. Yes, I know there are public proxies, but I've never used 'em and didn't want to start with this test.

PCZ
05-13-2004, 03:31 AM
I have been running a mix of windows/linux clients on EON.
The ratio was approx 60% windows and 40% linux.

Yesterday starting at around noon [UK time] I started to take the windows clients down.
All the windows clients had been shut down by 4pm.

My output has dropped, but not by as much as I thought it would.
Obviously my linux clients were/are returning the lions share of work.

The output per hour varies quite a bit with EON, so I have been comparing my output
with that of Bok and Fritz, hopefully they have kept the same amount of computer power on the project over the last 24 hrs.

Paratima
05-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Ran one Linux box overnight, with the output tee'd to a log file. The box is an AMD xp2200+ with 512MB of RAM & a RAID array, running RedHat 7.3. (Not my favorite distro, but available.)

Not sure exactly what time I started it, but overnight it produced 39 wu's.

17 successfully sent or 44%
22 v3NetSend failed or 56%

Bok's very fine stats confirm these numbers.

So, this is better than my Winders boxen that are now on other projects, but still not so hot. Now that I've got the test technology figured out, I think I'll run the Linux & Windows boxen in a side-by-side test & see what happens over the same time period. Will report.

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-13-2004, 09:17 AM
:cheers: :cheers: