PDA

View Full Version : As service, logout eventually kills it

MerePeer
05-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Under win2000 and winxp. I'm having difficulty setting up the D2OL.exe to run as an uninterrupted service. I'm using the instsrv and srvany and yes they do initially start the D2OL and everything works very well as long as no one logs out.

Whenever a user logs out the Gridwin or Dockwin finish whatever they are doing (which can take many minutes), and then it does not startup the "other" thing, i.e. after Gridwin is Dockwin. Using DSPY I see it just sit in that state for hours unchanged.
I tried running with the AppParameters of "controller:file". That didnt change the behavior except it produces an output file in the TSC dir.
On the service properties "Recovery" tab I tried setting it up to restart the service, but that didnt work -- I think because the service sees srvany.exe as still running and so it doesnt think it has failed and needs to recover. In fact, (2) when I shutdown the service it does not kill the D2OL nor gridwin/dockwin exes.
I tried making a .bat file that just loops and runs D2OL, then I modified the service to run the .bat file instead of D2OL. That didnt work after the logout: each loop/ every 2 seconds it used up a candidate from the 50 and never did any work.

The only thing I have found to work so far is using FireDaemon. I think because it has more monitoring capability and by default it is setup to "restart service whenever service stops". However FireDaemon Lite only supports one service and I'd rather not go around installing it when I already have the instsrv and srvany there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior when using a winservice with D2OL and if so, have you found a way to address it so users can log in and out and not interrupt your TSC computations?

One important thing I noticed: whenever D2OL has to be restarted it LOSES all the conformers for the candidate it is working on. So if it is on candidate 19 -- that could be many minutes, sometimes hours, of lost work!

MerePeer
05-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Followup: I've something that works. Had to read the LaunchAnywhere manual (http://www.zerog.com/iamanual/usermanual_ia6/en/WebHelp/to_translator/actions/launchanywhere.htm).

Add this line to your D2OL.lax which tells the jvm to ignore logout (and other) signals. Haven't tested shutdown impact, if any.

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Xrs

Unrelated to the above, this statement from the readme.txt seems worth concern. I wonder how we would know if the corruption occurred. Maybe it wouldnt startup next time.

Note: Users must be careful to use shut the node down gracefully.
If they simply kill the Node's java process, the docking engine
may continue to run and there is a possibility of corrupting the
property files that control the Node's operation.

Fozzie
05-21-2004, 11:03 AM
as a service on an NT machine.

I run it fine on one machine and I exported the reg file but cannot then run it on other machines form the same location on the D:\ HD partition.

I went through the same steps too. :help:

PCZ
05-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Fozzie

I guess you are using instsrv and srvany.

Where are you putting srvany.exe ?
Somewhere in your path or the TSC directory ?

Post your reg file.

Fozzie
05-25-2004, 03:39 AM
but need to test MerePeer's lax hack as it stops as I log out.