PDA

View Full Version : Time to move to version 4.4

ECL
05-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Version 4.4 is out.

From the website:

The major thing about this version is the release of two new optimisations: ChicaneLinacA, which is the continuation of the chicane design explored in versions 4.2x, and PhaseRotA, which includes the next stage of an alternative design intended to lead into a cooling ring later on.

The new straight sections include accleration via RF (radiofrequency) cavities, in which an electromagnetic field oscillates to accelerate the particles periodically. These are shown as orange/blue rings in the simulation. Since this introduces a time dependency into the tracking, the particles must be released from the initial rod with time-delays to model the timespread in the incident proton beam, which is why the particles now start off 'stuck' to the rod and only 'boil off' later.

The scoring system has had to be changed slightly for the new optimisations, as it is now such a difficult task that the initial random designs probably will have a transmission of zero, so instead negative scores based on how far the furthest muons have travelled have been assigned to the lower simulations, enabling them to climb towards achieving transmission.

Results are now 'compressed' into a binary format before being sent, to save some bandwidth (and also because the new optimisations have more parameters - up to 500 in some cases). This version also includes the fixes for memory leaks found in v4.34.

Also, users who've been idle too long are being excluded from the "official" stats page (though not from rawstats.txt) which means the sinister Terrene Bell is about to take us down. Help remedy this by renewing your acquaintance with this reasonably interesting project and getting your points back on the board.

Nexus
05-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Will download 4.4 when I get home.

As for contributing, I've been doing a lowly 2,500 Mpts a day and have just moved past the 200,000 mark. I agree with you that anyone looking for a project to get started on should consider this one. I reckon that if more people clamber on board, we can hold off Terrene and maybe haul in Ars Technica as well.

Go Free-DC!

magnav0x
05-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Oh lord I hope he doesn't bork the stats with his new raw stats file :rolleyes:

Nexus
05-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Well, v4.4 is hopeless. It's about 3 times slower than v4.34.

And to cap it all off, my stats seem to have been wiped for no reason. I was around the 200,000 mark and now I have to start from scratch. If I don't get my stats back I'll give DPAD the arse. Zetagrid is looking interesting.

ECL
05-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Nexus
Well, v4.4 is hopeless. It's about 3 times slower than v4.34.

And to cap it all off, my stats seem to have been wiped for no reason. I was around the 200,000 mark and now I have to start from scratch. If I don't get my stats back I'll give DPAD the arse. Zetagrid is looking interesting.

Your stats are showing on the official page (http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v5.html?hide=1&teams=1#Free-DC). It's right there: 200141.4 Mpts. You're in eighth place on the team. If you vanished, it's because Stephen doesn't show accounts that are idle for longer than some random figure he picks. If this happens, you can check the rawstats.txt file and see that your account still exists and can be picked up by third-party stats.

As for the speed issue, the topic has been addressed on Stephen's forums. It appears to be slower because it's doing a more detailed simulation, thus it's doing potentially more useful work.

As for Zetagrid, any help you want to give there is appreciated. I get a little frustrated when I'm the only one from our team contributing to a project, so I could use the company. I've actually been slacking there (I ramped up on OGR25 to break the 500K barrier in Phase I), so we've been dead for about a week.

Nexus
05-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Yeah, my stats are back now but they were zeroed for about 12 hours. Very annoying and distressing. Check out the graph here. (http://12.3.177.174:6969/dpad/individual_stats_history.php?UserId=Nexus%5BFree-DC.org%5D) You'll see I lost about 195,000 Mpts and got them back the next day.

The cutoff figure Stephen Brooks uses is, I think, 1000 hours which is about six weeks.