PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason I Left California

Moogie
05-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Major Victory for Free Speech at Cal Poly<br>University Settles Lawsuit, Abandons Effort to Defend Censorship<br><br><table width="90%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" bordercolor="#63635A" bgcolor="#E7E7E2" align="center"><tr><td style="font-size: 12px; font-style: italic;">"We are pleased that free speech has been upheld at Cal Poly, but we truly are stunned that this university fought so desperately to deny a student's most fundamental rights," said Alan Charles Kors, Chairman of FIRE. He added, "Cal Poly's example sends a warning to university administrators everywhere who deny rights and legal equality: You will fail in the court of public opinion; you will fail in the courts of law; and you will be held accountable by the citizens whose freedom you hold in contempt."<br></td></tr></table><br><br>For the full article, look <a href="http://www.thefire.org/pr.php?doc=calpoly_victory_050604.html">HERE.</a><br><br>Any thoughts?

FoBoT
05-13-2004, 10:15 PM
sounds to me like it was politically motivated, liberals trying to silence views they disagree with

Moogie
05-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT
sounds to me like it was politically motivated, liberals trying to silence views they disagree with

Spot on FoBoT. :thumbs:

Chinasaur
05-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Good!!!

Now see if you two can extend the group hug and get Frist and Warner to stop stonewalling and hiding the evidence and release the pics.

THEN we'll talk about freedom.

rshepard
05-14-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't think it has much to do with silencing opinions they disagreed with. I think the University Admins, in their rush to be Politically Correct At All Times, rolled over and then got called on it. If they''d been half smart about it, they would have looked at the fliers, seen there was nothing in them that could even remotely been considered offensive, and told the kids " Look, if this upsets you, you'll never make it out there in the Real World. Grow up a bit." Instead, they chose to teach them that if you see something you disagree with, run and whine to the nearest powers-that-be about how you are offended and disturbed, and voila! someone will step up and make sure we all stay nicely tucked into our pre-ordained slots, so we never have to be bothered by someone thinking different thoughts from our own.

Damn I'm in a cynical mood tonight...........:rant:

*goes to see if the Thought Police are at the door yet......

Richard Clyne
05-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3707599.stm)

Now where is the "barf" icon.

Moogie
05-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Richard Clyne
Read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3707599.stm)

Now where is the "barf" icon.

They have a serious case of the uglies. What they don't say is that they can make dogs (I would imagine the others mentioned as well) pretty sick if they eat them. My dog is an insect stalker/eater...same with toads and tree frogs (can you say foamy mouth-gag).

We also have what folks out here call Mole Crickets (I believe that is the spelling). Nasty little buggers can destroy your lawn (or a large part of it) in a couple of days.

There are some bugs out here that you need a baseball bat to defend yourself with. Maybe I should just stay inside.

Don't get me started about the snakes.......

:D

Bok
05-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Moogie
They have a serious case of the uglies. What they don't say is that they can make dogs (I would imagine the others mentioned as well) pretty sick if they eat them. My dog is an insect stalker/eater...same with toads and tree frogs (can you say foamy mouth-gag).

We also have what folks out here call Mole Crickets (I believe that is the spelling). Nasty little buggers can destroy your lawn (or a large part of it) in a couple of days.

There are some bugs out here that you need a baseball bat to defend yourself with. Maybe I should just stay inside.

Don't get me started about the snakes.......

:D

Welcome to the south-east......

Coming from the UK I was ill-prepared for critters even mildly dangerous, but I get snakes in the back-yard fairly regularly and that family of black widows in the garage almost had me packing my bags...

Bok :D

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Could be worse Moogie you could have moved to the UK...
High Fuel Costs, Bad Weather - well Sun is something we get if we are really Good...
I mean Really good. I ain't kidding.. hmm attempts to think of other bad points, oh yeah we all talk funny :P drive on the other side of the road..
The goodish points...
okay little gun crime, little car jackings, some nice places to visit and stuff, can get everywhere with in a day or there abouts, we are mainly friendly lol