PDA

View Full Version : who has tried mandrake 8.2?

FoBoT
04-14-2002, 08:28 PM
i couldn't get winXP or w2k to load onto my new temporary system (1.2Ghz AMD) due to the goofy scsi controller i have in it

so i loaded mandrake 8.2

it seems to be a big improvement over 8.1

and mozilla is rockin!! :thumbs:

i have been posting here on free-dc and the other boards i frequent with no problems for the past 3 days, seems quite solid to the last version of mozilla i had tried

anybody else using it?

Paratima
04-14-2002, 08:59 PM
I'll ask around at work tomorrow. I'm a SuSer, myself, semi-patiently waiting for 8.0, due out on the 22nd.

IronBits
04-14-2002, 10:44 PM
8.2 works great here! :D

Dyyryath
04-15-2002, 02:59 AM
I'm using it as my primary development platform at home, and most of our servers at work have been upgraded to it.

It's pretty sweet, actually. The only Suse I'm running is on our Sparcs. Suse has the best Sparc distro going, hands down.

I used to be a big Slackware fan, then I was hooked on Debian for awhile. I eventually grew to like Red Hat, though I didn't like it as much as Slackware.

I have to say, though, that at this point, Mandrake is my favorite all around distro, no questions asked.

bwkaz
04-15-2002, 08:03 AM
:cool: Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) :cool:

Oh, the question was about Mandrake 8.2 .... errr... no, I don't use it. I used to use 8.1 until I installed :cool: LFS :cool: , and I did grab the 8.2 ISOs just in case they want it at home this summer (8.2 does come with XFree 4.2, correct? Because if not, I should free up that 1.8 gigs), but I haven't seen it yet.

It still installs KDE 2, right? I don't think 3 was out by its release date.

You are correct about one thing though:

and mozilla is rockin!! :thumbs:

TheOtherPhil
04-29-2002, 02:22 AM
Mandrake 8.2 is pretty cool but I have always went back to RH until recently. I just tried out Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org) and it rocks!!

Chinasaur
05-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Newsforge has this article on Mandrake 8.2 Covers installation and use.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/05/01/0044222.shtml?tid=23

IronBits
02-08-2003, 12:15 PM
How does one make Mandrake 8.1 see both AMD processors?
I know you should use SMP ver 1.1 support in the BIOS, and turn of Plug&Play...
But once you have a single going, what do you run to install the 2nd cpu option?

magnav0x
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
I've been wanting to check out Gentoo. I wouldn't mind installing it on my laptop, but I dunno how difficult it would be to configure gentoo to accept it (I'd have to learn where all the config files are). I'm a big RedHat person myself. The Linux From Scratch link that was posted as well looks very interesting. As of last night though I got Everquest running under RedHat, so I can toast the winblows partition :thumbs:

cygnussphere
03-05-2003, 05:03 PM
From the perspective of a total nix newbie...

I have run Mandrake 8.1, Suse 8.1 pro and Xandros.
IMHO
With one exception Xandros spanks the other distros for ease of install / use, networking setup ect...

The one draw back.... sigh..:bang:

It doesn't run Folding as fast as the others. Probable due to kernal compling. I have not given up on it though. If I can get it to run as fast - Adios all other distros for my folden boxen.

:cheers:

dale.dorman
03-12-2003, 11:49 AM
:confused:
I have tried the 8.2 Mandrake with DSL did not seem to have any problems with it. Moved uptown to 9.0 and it gives me a migrain. Have a post over on the Just Linux site in the forums asking for some help/advice but as of yet nothing. My only complaint is the downloading process in Linux. I like the download to the machine and open it up right now instead of the path of lost confusion [ for me ] that is needed. But I is very very new to Linux even though I have Mndrk 9.0 on one machine and RH 8.0 on another ... go figggger.

Dale

bwkaz
03-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
How does one make Mandrake 8.1 see both AMD processors?
I know you should use SMP ver 1.1 support in the BIOS, and turn of Plug&Play...
But once you have a single going, what do you run to install the 2nd cpu option? The easiest way is to reinstall with both processors set up and working -- I believe Mandrake has an SMP kernel. If they don't, or if you don't want to reinstall, then recompile your kernel, turning on the SMP stuff (CONFIG_SMP at minimum, oh, and turn CONFIG_APM off). Boot to the new kernel.

If you want to see what's going on with procesors now, look in /proc/cpuinfo. If 2 processors are listed, then you're already using both of them, and you don't have to do anything.

/proc/cpuinfo is the number of CPUs that the kernel is using, not the number that are installed, BTW.

Chinasaur
03-23-2003, 06:51 PM
SuSE

:cheers: