PDA

View Full Version : linux client

FoBoT
05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
what is the difference between "static" and "non-static" linux clients on the download page?

:confused:

Bok
05-18-2004, 08:42 PM
static clients will contain for instance (and usually) libstd*** C libraries built in, the non-static will depend on you having those specific libraries on the system. If you are running a common distro, like RH8 or RH9 it's a good bet you'll have the correct libraries so go for non-static.

Bok

:D

FoBoT
05-18-2004, 08:46 PM
so try non-static and if it doesn't work, then try static?

thanks

Bok
05-18-2004, 08:52 PM
yup,

or you can download the non-static one and run

ldd cbpsn.exe

(or whatever it is called) which will tell you whether it has all the libraries up front.

Probably easier to just run it though :)

Bok

bwkaz
05-18-2004, 09:23 PM
The reason static clients exist is because (last I checked) Carlos was using g++ 2 to compile them, which means they were compiled against an old standard C++ runtime library (libstdc++). I don't know for sure if that's still the case, though.

Anyway, the libstdc++ from g++ 2 is not compatible with the one from g++ versions between 3.0 and just before 3.2. g++ 3.2 broke compatibility again, I believe (I know it's not compatible with g++ 2, I'm just not sure whether it's compatible with g++ 3.1). I know g++ 3.4 breaks compatibility again -- it installs a libstdc++.so.6 instead of a .so.5.

However, the static version may not work on your system either. Shortly before the WRA, the static version was failing to resolve hostnames on some systems (it may have been related to glibc versions, though I don't know for sure). If the dynamic version works, it'll work better, but I can see some cases (gcc 3.4 plus really new glibc) that neither version would work...

ldd will tell you if the necessary libraries are there, yes. However, it won't tell you if they're 100% compatible. ;)