PDA

View Full Version : D2OLProgress

MerePeer
05-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I've revamped the DFProgress GUI and called it D2OLProgress. It is a one screen snapshot of your D2OL nodes (sample pic below). Each node periodically sends a UDP packet to the machine running the GUI. I've included most of the information shown in DSPY, but not all.

Follow this thread for likely updated versions as bugs are fixed and enhancements made.

Notes for 0.01:
- I put a 0readme.txt in the zip (basically same as DFProgress).
- I haven't tried it under Linux yet.
- The "stats" that the D2OL software produces (nodeStatistics.xml) are almost useless because they don't reflect the WUs being uploaded. I've included them but put them way over on the right side (note: you can drag/drop columns).
- When D2OL is shutoff from their client, it deletes the "current" directory and so its simple to determine it is "OFF". However when D2OL is shutoff as windows service, it does not. I'll add some logic for coloring the state as 'stale' (unchanged within x minutes) in a subsequent release to catch this condition. There is already similar 'stale' coloring for the "Updated" column reflecting lack of node packets arriving.

MerePeer
05-18-2004, 10:16 PM
v0.01

Bok
05-18-2004, 10:36 PM
MerePeer,

looks good, got it running under Linux

both client and server.... I'll get a windows boxen talking to it now.

*edit* windows talking to client on server just fine :)

Bok

MerePeer
05-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Just spotted 3 issues...will fix tomorrow:

1) the "Conf Start" (Conformer #n docking Start time) is not resetting to blank during the Grid calc state.

2) Sometimes...the "State" is showing "OFF" (bkgd red) for an instant after Conf. #20 before Calc Grid. I did not realize until just now that the entire "current" directory appears to be deleted and recreated for each candidate. As mentioned above I thought this meant D2OL was Off. This *may* require a new D2OLProgressNode.

3) the 0readme.txt should've said the default UDP port is 9030 (if not overridden on the cmd line).

{edit} Bok thx for the Linux test.

Evilmoose
05-19-2004, 12:40 AM
How do I show multiple instances on my dualie and HT boxes?

Nice work:thumbs:

MerePeer
05-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Assuming you have each instance running from different directories.....

...you would run two D2OLProgressNodes and for each one specify the -dir and the -name args.
Ex:
java D2OLProgressNode -sendto EARTH -name MARS_CPU1 -dir "c:\program files\sengentd2ol\d2ol_cpu1"
and
java D2OLProgressNode -sendto EARTH -name MARS_CPU2 -dir "c:\program files\sengentd2ol\d2ol_cpu2"

MerePeer
05-19-2004, 10:50 PM
This update, 0.02, has a new D2OLProgressNode and D2OLProgress.
Chgs:
- new "Next up" column is a countdown H:m:s until the next upload;
- "Conf start" column now reset for new candidate
- "State" has a 10 minute delay if it doesnt chg then it shows bkgnd orange. Note that it already/also shows bkgnd orange if "Updated" timestamp is 1 minute stale (meaning D2OLProgressNode is not sending updates).
- "State" now shows "Pre grid" when the Sengent 'current' directory or 'grid.out' are missing (these are re-created each candidate -- but they are also missing if it is shut off).

PCZ
05-20-2004, 03:57 AM
What am I doing wrong here ?

D:\d2prog>java D2OLprogressNode -sendto 172.31.158.99 -dir d:\d2ol1\d2ol
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: D2OLprogressNode (wro
ng name: D2OLProgressNode)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

D:\d2prog>java -version
java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

D:\d2prog>dir
Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 48E4-B922

Directory of D:\d2prog

20/05/2004 08:43 <DIR> .
20/05/2004 08:43 <DIR> ..
19/05/2004 21:35 10,282 D2OLProgressNode.class
1 File(s) 10,282 bytes
2 Dir(s) 4,941,332,480 bytes free

D:\d2prog>

MerePeer
05-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Java is case sensitive to class names, so uppercase the "p" in your entry to D2OLProgressNode. That will fix that error.

Also, if you ever change the directory name to include wierd chars or spaces, or are under Linux, you'll want to put the dir name in quotes, i.e. -dir "d:\d2ol1\d2ol" although it will work as you have it.

PCZ
05-20-2004, 07:12 AM
MerePeer
Thanks I should have spotted that. :blush:

BTW
Most of my nodes don't have Java installed.
D2OL runs with the included jre.

I have got D2OLProgress to work using the jre in D2OL.
By copying D2OLProgressNode.class to the D2OL jre\bin directory and running it from there.
The monitor app works also using the D2OL jre.

MerePeer
05-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Glad to hear its up & running.

Interesting to hear about the d2ol jre -- since I never installed a node with the 'included' jre. I wonder what version it is -- can you do a java - version in their jre? If its a version prior to 1.4.2 I can add that note to the readme.

If you didn't want to copy the .class file into their (d2ol) directory:
you can use the standard java "-cp {classpath}" switch. Java is a bit curious because it won't let you just say "java \myotherdir\subdir\D2OLProgressNode" instead you must say "java -cp "\myotherdir\subdir" D2OLProgressNode".

Taking that a step further since your PATH would not have their (d2ol) java bin directory in it...if my default was C:\, I could enter
c:\blahblahd2olpath\jre\bin\java -cp "d:\d2ol1\d2ol" D2OLProgressNode -sendto 172.31.158.99

Another tidbit for setup consideration:
I've also noticed that once java has "read" the .class file when it starts, it doesnt use it after that. I'm not proposing you setup fileshares, in fact the design behind this UDP stuff is to avoid all fileshares! BUT if your nodes already have a fileshare to some common server.....you can put the D2OLProgressNode.class on that fileshare server directory and then each node would be started like this:
java -cp \\sharesys\sharename\somedir D2OLProgressNode.class -sendto sharesys
So they initially do some network (UNC/SMB) I/O to retrieve the file, then after that all the I/O is UDP. What's the benefit? Easier to deploy the new .class file when new versions come out & no {progressnode} code residing on your nodes. What's the downside? I have all my nodes setup using instsrv/srvany and I don't think the services would like accessing the fileshare -- but I admit I didn't try it, just cautionary. Also -- if your 1 fileshare goes down, and then a node reboots for some reason -- it would stop sending until both were rebooted, fileshare first. So more 'robust' uptime with local .class.

PCZ
05-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Windows
D:\d2ol1\jre\bin>java -version
java version "1.4.1_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_02-b06, mixed mode)

D:\d2ol1\jre\bin>
This box runs 2 instances of D2OL hence the directory names d2ol1 and 2

Linux
-bash-2.05b# cd /D2OL
-bash-2.05b# cd jre/bin
-bash-2.05b# ./java -version
java version "1.4.1_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_02-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_02-b06, mixed mode)
-bash-2.05b#

PS
I have it working on my PXE boot nodes using the jre included with D2OL.

MerePeer
05-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Version 0.03: good news and bad.

The bad news is you have to copy another version of the D2OLProgressNode out to your nodes. Two reasons: (1) I left some code in there yesterday I didn't mean to which still sent the red/"off" state when grid.out was missing ( :blush: ); and (2) for the enhancements below I needed to add the local (node) timestamp to the packet info.

The good news is:
1) you shouldn't see the (occassional) state change to red and say "off" during normal activity anymore;
2) I added a new column called "Cand est" and it is an estimate of how many h:m:s before the candidate completes its 20 conformers. :)
3) Both the "Cand est" and the "Next Upload" columns now use the local (node) timestamp as part of their calculations. I don't run a time synch on my LAN and with time differences between nodes in the minutes it was slightly impacting the accuracy.
4) I added the note about version 1.4.1 to the 0readme and mentioned using /jre/bin under D2OL dir.

Upgrade notes:
- ideal upgrade steps: shut off gui, upgrade nodes and restart them, start new gui.
- the 0.02 D2OLProgress will exit as soon as it sees packets from 0.03 D2OLProgressNodes
- the 0.03 D2OLProgress will discard 'old' packets from 0.02 D2OLProgressNodes and send an error message to the console about it. So if you see any of these error messages it means you still have node(s) running the old .class file.

Your thoughts about:
1) I was thinking the "Uploadable" area might show a sum of the "Ready" candidates across nodes -- useful? or
2) I was thinking instead of having a "Total" area at the top that might show an accumulated total of work units completed, i.e. it is incremented by 1 every time the "ready" column is incremented. If I also add a way to "kick off" the entry in this area with a value hand-entered, then it might track your total candidates more accurately than having to wait for the D2OL stats pg to update -- or by entering your gauntlet total it could just track your gauntlet units...?

Let me know if you see issues.

Leviathann
05-22-2004, 03:15 AM
It's about a pain in the ass to get that thing running.

MerePeer
05-22-2004, 06:23 AM
@Leviathan: nod. Hopefully worth it.

Note to all: found&fixed an issue in D2OLProgressNode. Only happens if you use the "status" option of the GUI. Symptom: the "Uploaded" and "Next up" change to reflect the datetime you chose the "status" option in place of the correct upload datetime. Cause: I was using the last modified date of "nodeStatistics.xml", but apparently the D2OL software (for no reason) updates the moddate when you chose that option. :scratch: (not sure what DSPY uses -- this info not in a control file afaik) The attached version uses the moddate of "nodeStats.dat" as the basis. So far so good - 12hrs tested.

If you dont use that option dont bother with the update -- we may find more issues.

Leviathann
05-22-2004, 12:23 PM
I only have one node so I really don't need it, but it looks cool, just need to figure out a way to up the ease-of-use.

MerePeer
05-22-2004, 12:35 PM
With only one node you may prefer Dspy. It has graphs too.

I got tired of flipping the tabs on Dspy to monitor each node; and I have a linux box I am toying on (dspy=win).

PS in the future if you decide to spend a few cycles over in the "Distributed Folding" project there is a similar "DFProgress" app for that.

Leviathann
05-22-2004, 12:49 PM
I've had my share of DF, I'm done with that crap.

MerePeer
05-26-2004, 09:12 PM
I found the 'target' info, first line of the res/data/current/nnnn.pdbqs file. I'm testing with an updated D2OLProgressNode to grab & send it, and D2OLProgress to display it as seen here.

Bok
05-26-2004, 09:20 PM
:thumbs:

looks great!

Bok

MerePeer
05-27-2004, 08:08 PM
D2OLProgress and D2OLProgressNode 1.00 attached.
Changes:
- new "Target" column, see screen print above.
- new "Ready" total at top -- total of ready column; sum of units across nodes.
- "Last gen" column now blank inbetween candidates, was 0.
- "Cand est" column now only shows one negative sign when past due, was 3.
- Fixed bug when incoming data had a blank generation #.

MerePeer
06-08-2004, 09:03 PM
D2OLProgress 1.01

- no change to D2OLProgressNode since last post, still 1.00.
- fixed rare bug that was stopping display.
- average point column now displayed w/1 decimal point.

Chinasaur
06-10-2004, 07:24 PM
You guys made massive progress. Top numbers today for Team Numbers.

Way to go!!!!!

:cheers:

matrix_fan
06-30-2004, 01:50 PM
i have a problem with the progress node on this computer, the error is: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: D2OLProgressNode , can u guys pls help me out? it works on 2 of my compters but not this one..

Darkness Productions
06-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Can this be modified to work with TSC as well, or would it work out of the box with TSC?

Bok
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
DP,

it works natively with TSC also.

matrix_fan,

it looks to me like it is not finding java in the path perhaps ? Or an older version of java. What OS are you on?

Bok :D

matrix_fan
06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Win XP Pro, the newest java out, just installed it the day before.

MerePeer
06-30-2004, 04:13 PM
re: java error
It is finding java. It isnt finding D2OLProgressNode when the error is NoClassDefFoundError. The easiest way to solve is to first set your default directory to the location of the D2OLProgressNode.class file, then execute the java D2OLProgressNode -sendto xyz -dir "123" command. If you don't want to set your default dir first, then you can add the -cp (classpath) argument. So if D2OLProgressNode.class was in \abc and d2ol was in \d2ol you could use

java -cp \abc D2OLProgressNode -sendto xyz -dir "\d2ol"

matrix_fan
06-30-2004, 04:30 PM
dangit...........i copied the folder form my othe computer on the network, and then ti put it on my HDD as a network folder, which then screwed up the files... thx for your help...BTW, is there any way i can get the D2ol Progress Monitor(not the nodes) to send the statuses it's getting to another D2ol Progress Monitor?

MerePeer
06-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Hmm. Quick answer is no we cant split & forward D2OL.

Longer answer is...but we do have that capability with the DFProgress app, through DFProgressForwarder, but it isn't avail {yet?} for D2OLProgress. It didn't seem like anyone wanted it for DF so I didnt' bother for D2OL. I was thinking it might be more useful to have the D2OLProgress output HTML to a file, but that is a different approach, requiring outside people to access your PC (i.e. web server) in order to view the d2ol output file. The advantage of the "forwarding approach" is you can just ship it off somewhere and not worry about outsiders requiring access into your pc.

I wonder if perhaps I should just add the "duplicate & forward" capability to D2OLProgress, without requiring the setup of a progressforwarder. The disadvantage of this approach is that you cant randomly connect up a D2OLProgress monitor from anywhere (as you can with DFProgress when using DFProgressFOrwarder), say if you were in a different hotel each night. The advantage of this approach would be that it would be easier to setup if you already knew you could (a) leave a D2OLProgress running somewhere and (b) knew in advance the I/P address you wanted to copy/forward to; and (c) didnt need to change that copy/forward I/P address except by returning to the original D2OLProgress app (or perhaps chaining from the second one).

matrix_fan
06-30-2004, 05:55 PM
and.. you wouldn't need to worry about a IP address if you got a no-ip subdomain forwarder and download the auto-ip updater... I think the feature(either way you go) would be great! Hey, is there anyway to get rid of the command line box for the progress monitor?

MerePeer
06-30-2004, 10:06 PM
re: removing cmd box.
Yes, you can either set it up as a windows service (using srvany), or you can use the same command line with these two changes: begin with "start javaw" instead of "java", i.e.

start javaw D2OLProgressNode -sendto ...

So you got it working?

One bug I noticed this week (in the monitor, not the node): clicking on the "Cand start" column causes a java error and stops further updates. I'll try to fix in a day or two.

matrix_fan
07-01-2004, 11:53 PM
thanx m8 :cheers: .now, get your butt on that D2olProgressForwarder or something of the sort!!!!!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :rotfl:

PCZ
09-22-2004, 06:32 PM
MerePeer
Is version 101 the latest one you published ?

MerePeer
09-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes that is latest.

I need to get that known column sort bug fixed, and offer an html-output option on the gui. Someday I might put total candidates in header area by parsing out this info http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/myHomepage.jsp

:)

Rodzilla
10-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by MerePeer
Yes that is latest.

I need to get that known column sort bug fixed, and offer an html-output option on the gui. Someday I might put total candidates in header area by parsing out this info http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/myHomepage.jsp

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I really liked the dfMon for DF. It had a html output that I used to publish my farm status every min!!! I loved it!

Can I pimp this app to our team? I would love to host it for the XtremeSystems team if I could.

This looks excellent. Can't wait for the html output! You might want to get with pfb on this as he seems to be very knowledgeable about these sort of things.

Rodzilla
10-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Wow... this is kinda difficult to use. Is there a way of getting away from the cmd prompts??? Like shortcuts or executables?

I also couldn't get 2 nodes on the same system (P4 with HT) to show up on the Progress mon. I had 2 node folders and started the node monitoring... but only 1 would show up at a time. If I would quit one it would show the other. Or if I had 1 running it would show that one and as soon as I opened the new one it would show only that one. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

So how can I make this easier to use? The start javaw thing works for both the Mon display and the Nodes... so I don't need to keep the cmd windows open... and can use one to start the mon and the nodes... But it's a pain to go into the command window and do this...

PCZ
10-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Rodzilla

As you have discovered D2OLProgress is not user friendly.
It really should be experts only.

It works very well once you have it set up and is the ONLY tool available which can monitor a D2OL farm.

On the clients the best way of using D2OLProgress is as a service.
This is done using srvany and instsrv.

When you have more than one client running on a node {HT or SMP} then you need to append this to the D2OLProgress command lines.

-name madeupname1
-name madeupname2

Don't punt this app it is too difficult to use.
Unless you want to support it of course.

Rodzilla
10-11-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
Rodzilla

As you have discovered D2OLProgress is not user friendly.
It really should be experts only.

It works very well once you have it set up and is the ONLY tool available which can monitor a D2OL farm.

On the clients the best way of using D2OLProgress is as a service.
This is done using srvany and instsrv.

When you have more than one client running on a node {HT or SMP} then you need to append this to the D2OLProgress command lines.

-name madeupname1
-name madeupname2

Don't punt this app it is too difficult to use.
Unless you want to support it of course.

Thanks! It shouldn't be to bad once I get setup as a service right? It will just be a bear to setup :) I'll give the -name switch a shoot!

There will be no pimping of this app as I'm sure you guys don't want 100+ ppl in here all :confused: :confused: lol

PCZ
10-11-2004, 04:40 AM
I will describe a setup on one of my nodes for you.

This is an HT P4
D2OL is installed in 2 directories d:\d2ol1, d:\d2ol2 set up to run as services.

The PC doesn't have Java installed and the version of D2OL in use has the embedded jre.

To monitor these installs I use D2OLProgress also set up as a service.
This is how I setup D2OLProgress as a service

Copy D2olProgressNode.class to the jre\bin directories.

grab these
files (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=46632)

Put the files somewhere in your path, c:\windows is as good a place as any.

Type the following in a CMD window
instsrv d2olp1 c:\windows\srvany.exe
instsrv d2olp2 c:\windows\srvany.exe.

Now the tricky part.
go to the run box and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll through the list until you find the d2olp1 key.

Right click on it and select new key
Type Parameters for the key name.

Right click on Parameters and select new String Value
Type AppDirectory as the String name

Right click on Parameters again and select new String Value
Type Application as the String name.

double click the AppDirectory String and enter the following:
d:\d2ol1\jre\bin

double click the Application String and enter the following:
d:\d2ol1\jre\bin\java D2OLProgressNode -sendto 172.31.158.125 -dir d:\d2ol1\d2ol -name inet-P1

The appdirectory string is the path to the java executable and D2OLProgress.

The Application string is the same as you would type from a cmd window.
I have used the full path in the application string although this isn't absolutely necessary I always do.

Repeat for the d2olp2 key.
using d2ol2 in place of d2ol1.

Hopefully you can substitute the correct settings for your setup into the above info.
Path to D2OL install directories.
IP address of D2OLProgress monitor
Machine names.

Don't forget to start the services.
The quickest way to the services applet is to to type services.msc in the run box.

Rodzilla
10-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
I will describe a setup on one of my nodes for you.

This is an HT P4
D2OL is installed in 2 directories d:\d2ol1, d:\d2ol2 set up to run as services.

The PC doesn't have Java installed and the version of D2OL in use has the embedded jre.

To monitor these installs I use D2OLProgress also set up as a service.
This is how I setup D2OLProgress as a service

Copy D2olProgressNode.class to the jre\bin directories.

grab these
files (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=46632)

Put the files somewhere in your path, c:\windows is as good a place as any.

Type the following in a CMD window
instsrv d2olp1 c:\windows\srvany.exe
instsrv d2olp2 c:\windows\srvany.exe.

Now the tricky part.
go to the run box and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll through the list until you find the d2olp1 key.

Right click on it and select new key
Type Parameters for the key name.

Right click on Parameters and select new String Value
Type AppDirectory as the String name

Right click on Parameters again and select new String Value
Type Application as the String name.

double click the AppDirectory String and enter the following:
d:\d2ol1\jre\bin

double click the Application String and enter the following:
d:\d2ol1\jre\bin\java D2OLProgressNode -sendto 172.31.158.125 -dir d:\d2ol1\d2ol -name inet-P1

The appdirectory string is the path to the java executable and D2OLProgress.

The Application string is the same as you would type from a cmd window.
I have used the full path in the application string although this isn't absolutely necessary I always do.

Repeat for the d2olp2 key.
using d2ol2 in place of d2ol1.

Hopefully you can substitute the correct settings for your setup into the above info.
Path to D2OL install directories.
IP address of D2OLProgress monitor
Machine names.

Don't forget to start the services.
The quickest way to the services applet is to to type services.msc in the run box.

Wow!!!! I'll give this a shot! Thanks!

MerePeer
10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
PCZ==my support dept. Thx!

Let me see if I can add a quickee html output to get it rolling.

Rodzilla
10-11-2004, 01:25 PM
PCZ==my support dept. Thx!

Let me see if I can add a quickee html output to get it rolling.

If I can get html output I'll shovel through all the BS I need to!:cheers:

MerePeer
10-11-2004, 03:13 PM
This one's hot off the press -- only tested a bit, and only under Linux so be warned.

The D2OLProgressNode did not change.

The D2OLProgress UI has a new Options/Generate HTML File menu checkbox option. Checking it will result in a file "D2OLProgress.html" being generated every 10 secs in the directory you started D2OLProgress from.

Next time around: The html formatting & alignment needs tidying up; the timer needs to be configurable; the output directory should probably be configurable too. Other?

I also fixed the sorting-on-date-column bug.

Also this is my first time using Firefox to post an attachment -- hopefully no probs...

[edit: replaced zip file 10/12 06:45 EDT]

Rodzilla
10-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Much to try when i get home!!! Thanks guys!

PCZ
10-12-2004, 03:41 AM
Doesn't want to work for me.

D:\d2prog>java D2OLProgress
D2OLProgress v1.01.2
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: D2OLProgress$5
at D2OLProgress.main(D2OLProgress.java:383)

java version "1.4.2"

I dont have a D2OLProgress$5 class file only 1 through 4.

MerePeer
10-12-2004, 06:46 AM
silly me -- sorry didnt zip everything. Rezipped this morning and edited the post above with replacement zip. :blush:

PCZ
10-12-2004, 07:44 AM
It's working OK now :D

HTML updates every ten seconds

PCZ
10-12-2004, 08:14 AM
There is quite a lot of info in the HTML output.
Could this be reduced ?

Rodzilla
10-12-2004, 09:05 AM
lol that's prob why I couldn't get my services to work when I was trying to set them up! lol

I made them and tried to start it and it would immediately stop...

MerePeer
10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
@Rodzilla: the "services" would be using D2OLProgressNode, which did not change. Your service might stop if it cant find "java" or cant find the .class file.

@PCZ: do you have a suggestion re: too much output? Perhaps adding a way to indicate only certain columns should be in the HTML? Possibly best to allow this to be specified in a (.ini) file so that it happens everytime -- possibly also eliminates those columns from the UI itself as well as the HTML.

Rodzilla
10-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Hmmmmm... I'll have to mes around with it a little more. If I can't get it I'll post a screen shoot of the Reg settings...

Rodzilla
10-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
Doesn't want to work for me.

D:\d2prog>java D2OLProgress
D2OLProgress v1.01.2
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: D2OLProgress$5
at D2OLProgress.main(D2OLProgress.java:383)

java version "1.4.2"

I dont have a D2OLProgress$5 class file only 1 through 4.

I get this same exact error... All my info is the same as PCZ's... :(

I got the services to work... lol I just can't see them now! lol

MerePeer
10-12-2004, 09:12 PM
v1.01.3

Here's a fresh zip with a slighty revised html output option that is more concise. Total width is 1600px.

Again, only the D2OLProgress has changed so you don't need to update nodes.

MerePeer
10-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Also -- I added support for changing the default (10 secs) html generation: to do this you should create a D2OLProgress.ini (note case if under Linux) file in the same directory you run the "java D2OLProgress" from and add this line, for instance, to set it to 15 seconds:

html_timer=15

@Rodzilla -- sorry about missing file, its in both zips now.

Rodzilla
10-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it all working! ;)

Can you make the actual page auto refresh??? I'm gonna have it post to my website every Min and it would be awesome if the page would auto refresh every min or so when someone is on my page.

Rodzilla
10-13-2004, 10:05 AM
This is too cool!

http://srodman.home.mchsi.com/D2OLProgress.html

I got it posted and it uploads a new page every 1 min!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the awesome tool! :up:

During the many hours of messing with this I uncovered some strange things. I have a wireless laptop that I was using to run the D²OLProgress Java aplet. I got it all setup ok and off and running. When I pulled the wireless card out to put it back on the Cat5 the Nodes vanished off of the mon. I was connected to the network just fine. When I shut down the aplet and started it again the nodes never came back up. Not even the local one. I had to reboot the PC to get it to come back up.

Also, I tried to install the D²OLProgress Java aplet as a service. I got it installed just fine but when I started the service the window doesn’t popup... Like it's running in the background. Which brings me to my next thing.

It would rock if the D²OLProgress Java aplet would retain the "Output html" option. Then I really wouldn't care too much if I could see the window while it is running as a service or not.

1 More thing... When you have a client stop running the “State” says “Pre Grid” …I think… and soon after the State cell is highlighted Orange… Is there a way that you can make it read “stopped”? And can you make the html show the highlighted cell? Thanks!

Lol I know it sound like I’m being picky… I really do love this thing! Just giving my input so can make it even better! Thanks!

PCZ
10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
The HTML wasn't auto refreshing so I have added refresh to default.htm and
called D2OLProgress.html.

Rodzilla
10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
The HTML wasn't auto refreshing so I have added refresh to default.htm and
called D2OLProgress.html.

Auto refresh 10 secs (http://213.120.115.181)

Still dosn't work. You still have to hit the refresh button.

PCZ
10-13-2004, 02:26 PM
It's working OK.
Try refreshing your browser cache.

http://213.120.115.181/default.htm

It is getting distracting updating so frequently.
Might alter the refresh interval a bit.

Rodzilla
10-13-2004, 02:29 PM
It works!!!! How did you do it?

PCZ
10-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I added these lines to a text file and saved it as default.htm.
You could call it anything you like though.
I have added your url in the src=

</head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10">
<frameset rows="1000,*">
<frame name="main" src="http://srodman.home.mchsi.com/D2OLProgress.html">
<body>

PS
HTML is not my thing so I expect it could be done more elegantly.

Rodzilla
10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
btw.... this link is broken... http://213.120.1115.181/default.htm

So I copy the default.htm that I make into my D²OLProgress folder? Or on my site with the D²OLProgress.html file?

PCZ
10-13-2004, 02:55 PM
I guess your web server root is the directory with the D2OLProgress.html file in it.
Stick the default.htm file in there.

Call it something like d2olprog.htm instead of default.htm if you like.
I didn't realise you already had a live web site at that address

MerePeer
10-13-2004, 04:03 PM
@Rodzilla re: your questions

re: running the GUI as a Windows service.
The 'nodes' are console-based, not GUI, and are therefore a good fit for being a service. However the D2OLProgress java application is a swing-based GUI and wasnt designed to be a service -- so I don't know offhand what will happen if you do this. Someday perhaps it should support the same "controller: xyz" approach that D2OL took so that the GUI could be avoided. Up until the html option was added there would have been no point in running it in a non-GUI way.

re: adding meta refresh option and startup html 'on' option
I will add these.

re: pre-grid vs stopped
Unfortunately during regular 'running properly' activity the D2OL product has a brief period after it finishes docking but before it starts calculating the next grid, during which the 'current' subdirectory has been deleted and the grid.out is missing. These same conditions are true when the D2OL has been stopped. So I am not aware of a way to differentiate them. Originally I did put up a red "STOP" but that sends the wrong 'panic' signal if there really is no problem -- i.e. it is not something to worry about if it really is running normally. So instead it now shows the orange background when a particular state has been "stuck" for a period of time (10 mins). The background also changes on the "Updated" column (currently way over on the right but I think I will move this to the middle so it is in the unscrolled view) if 1 minute has gone by without an update (meaning: D2OLProgressNode has stopped running on that node).
Possibly we could do what we do now, but maybe after, say, 20 minutes if the state is still "Pre Calc" then change it to "STOPPED" and red background. A special 'stuck' condition.

re: color into html
I agree this would 'point out' issues better. I'll see what's involved.

Rodzilla
10-13-2004, 05:03 PM
@Rodzilla re: your questions

re: running the GUI as a Windows service.
The 'nodes' are console-based, not GUI, and are therefore a good fit for being a service. However the D2OLProgress java application is a swing-based GUI and wasnt designed to be a service -- so I don't know offhand what will happen if you do this. Someday perhaps it should support the same "controller: xyz" approach that D2OL took so that the GUI could be avoided. Up until the html option was added there would have been no point in running it in a non-GUI way.

I will add these.

re: pre-grid vs stopped
Unfortunately during regular 'running properly' activity the D2OL product has a brief period after it finishes docking but before it starts calculating the next grid, during which the 'current' subdirectory has been deleted and the grid.out is missing. These same conditions are true when the D2OL has been stopped. So I am not aware of a way to differentiate them. Originally I did put up a red "STOP" but that sends the wrong 'panic' signal if there really is no problem -- i.e. it is not something to worry about if it really is running normally. So instead it now shows the orange background when a particular state has been "stuck" for a period of time (10 mins). The background also changes on the "Updated" column (currently way over on the right but I think I will move this to the middle so it is in the unscrolled view) if 1 minute has gone by without an update (meaning: D2OLProgressNode has stopped running on that node).
Possibly we could do what we do now, but maybe after, say, 20 minutes if the state is still "Pre Calc" then change it to "STOPPED" and red background. A special 'stuck' condition.

re: color into html
I agree this would 'point out' issues better. I'll see what's involved.

The level of support I'm getting on this is amazing! Thanks a BUNCH!!!!!! I’ll give the html a try that PCZ posted. Thanks! :thumbs:

PCZ
10-13-2004, 05:05 PM

MerePeer
That would be the icing on the cake. :cheers:
We will demand the cherry later :jester:

Rodzilla

If MerePeer adds the meta refresh to the D2OLProgress.html then there will be no need for refresh workarounds.

Rodzilla
10-13-2004, 05:35 PM
lol you went through the trouble of posting it so I'll use it! ;) I can't wait! lol

MerePeer
10-18-2004, 09:47 PM
v1.01.4

No change to D2OLProgressNode.

The D2OLProgress app now supports two more .ini settings in the D2OLProgress.ini:

html_enabled=true
html_refresh=30

The html_enabled=true will turn on html output when the app is started, i.e. menu option is already checked.

The html_refresh=<# of seconds> will add the meta refresh tag, which by default is not added, to the html output. It will use the # of seconds you specify (min 10).

Also, the "State" column now has a red background after 20 minutes without a change in state.

Also, I moved the "Updated" column more towards the middle so it was easier to spot when the node was not sending updates.

Rodzilla
10-19-2004, 12:07 AM
It works perfect!!!!!!!!

Can we get the ini file packaged with the zip file next update? So ppl don't have to browse the thread to find the ini settings? That and it will just make it easier! :)

It would also be cool if we could get the D2OLProgress setup in such a way that it was an executable... without any command prompts.

I have a couple ideas as to how to make the D2OLProgressNode setup easier. It seems a little too involved to be able to package for 1 click deployment. But if a GUI guided user interface could be created to guide users through the install/prompt for the host name... directories... Node display name. It could then extract to the proper directory and create an executable in the startup folder? :lol: easier said than done I'm sure! But that would make it totally complete and a LOT more user friendly!

It's a very very useful tool... Now we just need to make it easy to use! :D

Thanks so very much for your work on this. I can't begin to stress how big of a contribution to the D²OL community this could turn out to be! This is the only tool of it's kind out there and it works damn good!

Rodzilla
10-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Rodzilla
It would also be cool if we could get the D2OLProgress setup in such a way that it was an executable... without any command prompts.

I got the D2OLProgress monitor figured out. Put this file in the D2OLProgress directory and open it! :D Easy as that! You can put it in the startup menu if you want or put a shortcut on the desktop! :D