PDA

View Full Version : Another switch question

dreplogle
05-18-2004, 10:44 PM
I have a broadband connection that is on much of the time but I'm still wondering if I'm losing cpu cycles when I turn off my machine. Since:
-i is interact time, while connect, every how often it contacts the server to inform it of its progress, the default being 30 minutes and since it seems like the cpu gets another task every 5 or so minutes, is it possible to lose 5 or so units or tasks if you turn off the machine before the 30 minutes are up and the machine contacts the server to inform it of its progress? Would this be avoided by setting -i to 5?

Thank you for your patience with questions like this. I've tried to research the answer but I haven't been successful.

Dan Replogle
:bonk:

michaelgarvie
05-19-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi Dan,

If you turn off your machine very often then maybe you could turn your -i (interact time) down. This is the time between communication with the server. Eg. if you turn your machine off every ten minutes then -i 30 will mean it never connects to the server! But if it turns of every day then you'll loose on average 15 minutes of processing time.

Hope this helps!