PDA

View Full Version : Lifemapper Gauntlet?

BrianM
05-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Quick question. Who's up for a lifemapper gauntlet after the D2OL gauntlet? When will it start how long will it last ect?

Bok
05-21-2004, 12:40 PM
I'll be in.

I say minimum of a week, preferably 2. It would be interesting to see what output we could get on LM on a daily basis....

Start time is a bit more difficult as for a lot of people it may depend on the next protein size in DF.

We don't have an end date for the D2OL gauntlet either. I'm still going to fight for 3rd or even 2nd place in this too :p. Perhaps this should be end of month, which would mean we could start a new gauntlet 12:01 CST Tuesday June 1st ??

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-21-2004, 01:01 PM
I agree with you on all points.

:D :D

ronbo54
05-21-2004, 01:13 PM
1 Dutch Power Cows 4,408,230

2 Team AnandTech 4,300,477

3 Team Norway 2,819,366

4 Ars Technica Team Fr... 1,581,370

5 Team Storagereview.c... 1,019,681

6 Free-DC 745,857

Wow Bok! You must be planning a huge dump if you think we can take 2nd by June 1

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I figure it will take 27 more days at current output to take 5th

I'm staying with D2OL (and UD Grid, of course) as i can't do LM anyway (health related only)

Bok
05-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Oh no, I meant IN the gauntlet.

I'm 4th currently, I might perhaps top IB but I doubt it. Will fight for it though! Got to build another P4 this weekend. Only a 2.8E but I'll see what it can run at :)

Bok

ronbo54
05-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Yeah I knew that's what you were talking about (I'm the guy in 2nd):D

Evilmoose
05-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Bok passing IB will be hard.
You might have to deal me first.:|punch|: I havent shown all my cards yet:tempted: :beep:

See ya in the 4 spot:cheers:

Bok
05-21-2004, 10:00 PM
ok :p

of course, I have shown all mine ..... :whistle: :evil:

heheh

Bok

Evilmoose
05-21-2004, 10:14 PM
I figured as much:rolleyes:

We are getting off topic but last I checked teh super colonials out produced teh evil imperials so far today:Pokes:

IronBits
05-24-2004, 11:23 PM
/me thinks we should change the gauntlet to LM already... :bang:
:moon: :cheers:

Evilmoose
05-24-2004, 11:34 PM
While were behind IB:bonk:
End of the month is good for me.
By then all my work machines should be full.

It seems to me like LM and D2OL run close to same time per WU.
Does anyone know how to sneaker net LM? If not Ill have limited firepower.

IronBits
05-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Recruit recruit recruit :Pokes: so we can take #1 and put this one to bed! :sleepy:
:smoking: :D

:fridge: :evil: :geezer: :fight:

Fozzie
05-25-2004, 08:52 AM
on the LM forum about running as a service.

I doubt I'll do the LM one as I just haven't got the required bandwidth for uploading and downloading work.

Especially with the 20 wu limit.

IronBits
05-25-2004, 09:05 AM
200 cache limit, that's about 2 days worth on a 'fast' computer.

ronbo54
05-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Personally, I'd rather stay with this until we take 5th (somewhere around June 16 or 17 at this rate - 12:01am on 18th would be a month), but if you want to end it how about waiting until sometime on June 1 so those with work boxen can get back to dump whatever they have off line. May 31 is holiday.

Not that anyone would be saving things offline to :dump: :whistle:

IronBits
05-25-2004, 10:26 AM
:rotfl: :thumbs:

Fozzie
05-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Did we teach you nothing you stand up wearing bright red and fight, not skulk about like snakes in the grass.

No backbone these colonials.

:spank:

magicfan241
05-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I will NOT leave D2OL until 5th place is taken!

If we all rally, we can put us to 5th for good, and then set in toward working on TFY!

LM does not work on my network anyway (can't figure out why, but I think it is because the network does not really exist). I don't have any server like devices. I have a instand broadband 4 port 100 hub + wireless, along with 2 4 port 100/10, and a second wireless (to cover the side of the house where I often sit under the tree outside).

magicfan241

BrianM
05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I agree!! Let's do this!:drums: :bonk: :elephant:

IronBits
05-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Ok, 5th place or die! :|party|:

IronBits
06-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Start this gauntlet on June 17th 00:01 am CST (Thursday)? :bouncy:

IronBits
06-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Teh Supar Colonials Needs You! :D
I asked first :D
Come on over and join in, don't forget to bring your can of

IronBits
06-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Should we start this here LM gauntlet sooner,
now that we have reached our goal in D2OL?

That way we can get on over to MD5CRK quicker,
where we really need the :help: big time. :scared:

PCZ
06-12-2004, 01:29 AM
What is a realistic goal in LifeMapper ?
Who are we going to RK :D

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-12-2004, 03:23 AM
Looking at the stats, may third would be a good goal. We are in 5th at the moment, one months effort could see third.

:cheers:

IronBits
06-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, if I'm reading PCZ correctly...

Should we skip the LM and go directly to MD5CRK?
Then, see where we want to go from there?

the original line up...
LM
TSC
MD5CRK

We discussed putting MD5CRK before TSC, shall we make a hard run at MD5CRK rather than LM to?

PCZ
06-12-2004, 12:26 PM
IB

I am not proposing that we skip LifeMapper, quite the opposite in fact.

In D2OL we set a target of reaching 5th place, which we attained :cheers:
It would be nice if we had a similar goal in LF to keep us motivated.

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I say aim for 3rd place.

Can we have a finish date for D2OL, and a start for LM. How about 15th June 00:01 as change over. This should give BOK time before he slopes off to the coast :D :moon:

PCZ
06-12-2004, 09:20 PM
I just read this (http://planetspectre.com/cgi-bin/lifemapper/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=389) on the LM forum

Maybe we should reschedule the LM gauntlet ?

ronbo54
06-13-2004, 12:16 AM
LM gauntlet is set to start June 17th 00:01 CST (by Bok) in case you missed it in the next gauntlet project thread.

Some have already started to switch boxes over as consensus seems to be D2OL ended when we took 5th (hopefully everyone will leave some on it so we can keep 5th and move toward 4th. :elephant:

I'm mostly offline (again) due to another storm knocking out power to my work boxen :bang:

Back on Monday

Won't be joining LM, MD5CRK, or Seti gauntlets (health related only) so I'll stay in D2OL and UD Grid. Will also add some to TSC and FAD

PCZ is right, they may want to reschedule LM in light of that announcement.

I do like the idea of setting the goal of passing another team for gauntlets. Something that can be done in a few weeks or a month at most preferably.:cheers:

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Stick with LM on the 17th. That is the Imperial way, stay with the plan in spite of all around.

and aim for 3rd place.

:Pokes: :cheers::D

PCZ
06-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Ok lets stick to the plan.

I must however warn folks who may not have had any exposure to Lifemapper
that it has a flaky database.

So don't complain if it goes down in the middle of the Gauntlet :)

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-13-2004, 04:47 AM
I always run with the -c 200 switch (not -f) so i have 200 WU's cached. If LM goes offline we could switch to MD5CRK until it comes back, then restart the next 00:01 day. Am sure we can work it out as we seem to be quite go at this. Also would think the standin LM admin's will want to show their worth by keeping everthing running smoothly.

Just need BOK to set up his side of things.

also, no one was too worried about EON being on it's arse most of the time.

:cheers: :cheers:

Bok
06-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Ok,

got the gauntlet stats switched over to LM.

Final D2OL gauntlet stats (ended) are at http://stats.open-dc.org/gauntlet/d2ol

I've converted over as many users from the D2OL gauntlet that appeared to have id's in Lifemapper. Anyone missing give me a shout, I'll make sure you started on the 17th along with everyone else. DarknessProductions, perhaps you can mail me any others that have signed up on your site ?

Once I get back from this trip I'll convert over the stats to pure php and add a few graphs in for good measure. /me thinks pie charts would look good!! :p

Hopefully the servers will stay up and I can get my linux boxen converted over on sunday.

Bok

:elephant:

p.s. have FUN and may Teh Evil Imperials wreak revenge!!!!!

Evilmoose
06-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I guess Im in but dont expect the kind of # I had in d2ol.
Got to help the colonials rise up and spank the evil imerials like we did in D2OL:weggy: :cheers:

rshepard
06-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm up and running (12 hrs late, but oh well....:( )

Took a bit to find my trusty Imperial paddler :spank:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Well i'am between jobs at the moment, so i'm going to :dump: :dump: my LM units and shut down the farm. I will keep two boxen running, one on Climate Prediction, the other on D2OL.

I will be watchin' though, so keep up the good work.

:cheers: :cheers:

IronBits
06-20-2004, 02:49 PM
PCZ says the Server or DB is down again...

Shall me move on to the next gauntlet instead?

We can put this one on the bottom of the list, and see what
happens next time :)

PCZ
06-20-2004, 04:59 PM
IB

As you are the Gauntlet Secretary you have to call it :D

IronBits
06-20-2004, 07:29 PM
TSC this Tuesday, start warming up your boxen :thumbs: :D
See new thread that contains poll.

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=6860

willy1
06-21-2004, 01:52 AM
WTF is wrong with doing the Lifemapper gauntlet?

Why are we leaving it so soon? I've been on holiday all weekend, but it looks like all my clients are still cranking along just fine....

PCZ
06-21-2004, 02:34 AM
willy1

Check your stats for the last 24 hrs

willy1
06-21-2004, 10:04 AM
??

The gauntlet stats show 'yesterday' and 'today' numbers....

and Bok's regular LM stats shows current numbers as of 6AM CDT.

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-21-2004, 12:34 PM
^^ and your point is?

willy1
06-21-2004, 01:24 PM
My point is I can't figure out why some folks want to ditch the LM gauntlet after only a few days. What's the point? The Colonials aren't winning, so we move on to something else?

I'm not interested in switching projects on my farm boxes every couple of days.

Bok
06-21-2004, 01:41 PM
willy1,

the problem really is that the LM db and client has been proven to be unreliable for a number of people (myself included on the Imperials side) in the last few days, though really for some time before that too.

For me personally, the linux client is nowhere near as fast as the Windows one and crashes a number of my boxen even using the 1.01 version which is supposedly stable. The LM admins have repeatedly stated that they are not interested in porting the 1.03 client to linux as most of the user base (probably 80%) is on windows anyway. Also I've processed many more results in the past few days as has been reported on the website. This seems to be a hold up for everyone. When this happens it doesn't really make it a fun project to hold a gauntlet on :(

I'm guessing others are experiencing some or all of the above also.

I'd hope we would come back to LM once some of these issues are addressed.

Bok

magnav0x
06-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I started having serious problems with the client on my Linux boxen as well, that's why I didn't even attempt to jump in on the LM gauntlet at all. It was running great for me on all my boxes for a while (a few weeks ago), then all of a sudden it just went all to hell and I haven't ran it since.

IronBits
06-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I was hitting close to 1,000 per day, then all of a sudden, with no changes on my end, my production dropped down to like 200-300 ish... even after re-starting them all...
the LM gauntlet has been running a week now, since last Tueday...

I'm for whatever the majority wants to do...

Willy1, I don't want to change clients every week either, 2 weeks seems to be appropriate...

What we want to do is find out what WE are going to do for tomorrow's Tuesday night at 23:59 deadline to finish one gauntlet and Wednesday at 00:01 to start a new one, or continue with what we are doing... :)

Tuesdays nights seem to be the best day for client changes for the majority I think. :thumbs:

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Sorry Willy1, my comment "^^" was to PCZ, i'm on you side on this, even thought i am stopping the gauntlet.

I was running with -c 200 switch, and as you can see for my stats yesterday i was ok uploading, and downloading for that matter. When i had major problems running eOn, i didn't bitch about it, everyone else carried on, i had problems so i stopped. I am very dissapointed that that some people are putting pressure on others to stop. We had USD on the ropes and a good chance of moving up two places, this gauntlet has not even run a week and it's on it's arse, i bet USD are pissin' themselves.

if the client shows that the upload has been delete, it means it has been cached on the DB server to be added later. I say run offline with a big cache when things look bad, the online to up load. With the -c 200 i had no problems, or try -f.

i agree WTF....... :bang:

Bok
06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
the linux client can only cache 50 max..

willy1
06-21-2004, 04:10 PM
So- what's the deal ? Is the LM gauntlet dead or what?

What/where is TSC? Is there a how-to anywhere? And most importantly, does it use any weird ports to communicate? Anything other than 80 or 23 makes it impossible for me.

I still think you all are giving up waaaay to fast on the LM thing.

rshepard
06-21-2004, 04:18 PM
TSC is here (http://www.childhooddiseases.org/community_tsc.html)

it uses the same engine as D2OL-- if you were able to run D2OL, you are good for TSC.

willy1
06-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Is there a link hidden in there somewhere to download the client, and instructions on setting it up?

Does this use the same user info as D2OL, or does it require a new registration?

rshepard
06-21-2004, 04:40 PM
download here (http://www.childhooddiseases.org/download.html)

new registration required here (http://d2ol.childhooddiseases.org/memberServices/createMember.jsp)

willy1
06-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Do I have to drag every bit of info out, piece by piece? Isn't there a FAQ yet on setting this up?

The client came up saying "Welcome to D2OL Version 2.0" - is this the right thing?

Does each node need to be registered, or just associate an email account with a user ID and team once?

Fozzie
06-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Once you have registered and downloaded the client you set up new nodes in the same way you did D2OL.

Same engine just different molecules to work on.

The results will also be valuable in all other types of tumour research, as well as TSC.

rshepard
06-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Do I have to drag every bit of info out, piece by piece?

No- I didn't know what all you needed-- sorry, see if this helps:

You need to associate the Username and e-mail once, during the registration. Once you do the install, it will ask you for the e-mail-- when the install is finished, log back in at the website (under "Teams") and add the node to your username. If you don't do this, the node will run, but the points never get credited to you.

Most people will want to run the client with either the command line or the file-controller option.
for the command-line, open the D2OL.lax file and make the following changes:

# LAX.STDERR.REDIRECT
# -------------------
# leave blank for no output, "console" to send to a console window,
# and any path to a file to save to the file

lax.stderr.redirect=console<<<<<<<<<<<<add this

# LAX.STDIN.REDIRECT
# ------------------
# leave blank for no input, "console" to read from the console window,
# and any path to a file to read from that file

lax.stdin.redirect=console<<<<<<<<<<<<add this

# LAX.STDOUT.REDIRECT
# -------------------
# leave blank for no output, "console" to send to a console window,
# and any path to a file to save to the file

lax.stdout.redirect=console<<<<<<<<<<<<add this

then modify the shortcut to read "<path to TSC>\D2OL.exe" controller:cli

it will bring up the GUI once, at that point you can turn off animations and the GUI-on-startup.

restart it and you should be set

PCZ
06-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Helix

There are 38,000 WU's stuck in the pipeline.
These may or may not make it into the stats.

I think that somebody should have cleared that backlog today.
No one did and it is steadily growing larger.

Do you want to carry on returning work that in all probability will be lost ?

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-21-2004, 06:00 PM
i have seen it with more than 20,000 units waiting several times. never been a problem before. i managed to upload a few WU's yesterday.

PCZ
06-21-2004, 06:06 PM
According to the stats I returned 91 WU's yesterday, but I uploaded over a thousand.

It's not a problem though I am sure the rest will turn up.

Helix_Von_Smelix
06-21-2004, 06:53 PM
exactly my (and Willy1's) point,,,, so why the change, is it because USD are kickin' our butts right across the LM board and we have given up????

Bok
06-21-2004, 07:51 PM
erm no..

it's for the other reasons stated above.

While the LM server and DB are on seemingly hiatus, a gauntlet (which most people like to have in realtime) is not too much fun. So the consensus appears to be to suspend and come back to this one later when things are more smoothed out.

Very simple and not worth over complicating.

If people wish, I'll save off the values from what has been done so far and when we come back to LM we'll start from those values :shrug:

Seems fair to me, but I'm just another pharmer :) opinions welcome

Bok :D :cheers:

PCZ
06-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Helix

Perhaps the folks who have given up will answer you.

I still have a lot of boxes on LM and haven't given up, I just highlighted the DB issue as it was going to affect the stats.

willy1
06-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Why are you nay-sayers so sure that the points won't be caught up?

Obviously some points are getting credited, and isn't just a matter of time before the backlog is processed?

Do you have some secret access to something the rest of us don't? Do you have links to someplace that says the credit is going into the bit bucket? (I'm still trying to figure out how the project comunicates with users, since they don't appear to have a forum, and all the news is months old.)

IronBits
06-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I have temporarily got a few of mine on TSC (install client, make sure it returns results and everything is ok) while I wait on the LM to start posting points to my score of about 2,000 I would say...
I'm afraid something is wrong, and because I don't follow this project, I don't know anything about how it works, other when PCZ mentions something do I rarely know what's going on...
What I noticed was that the stats stop showing up, even tho it appeared they were still working...

I will come back to this project.
I also forgot we were going to attempt to take USD or something like that...

To help clear the air a little as far as gauntlets go...
There are 2 kinds of gauntlets, as I recall...

1) A few folks get together, for varying reasons, like maybe to give back some help given us previously in other projects when we needed everyone's help...
running 1 or 2 week gauntlets to lend a hand... or for just FUN.

2) A concerted Team effort to achieve a specific goal, while trying to maintain our output in DF, our main project.

I was talking about (1) however, if (2) is NEEDED, then let's get cracking :D

So, I remember hearing that in LM and MD5CRK, we were seeing nothing but
:moon: :moon: :moon:

That doesn't make me happy so who wants to start a new thread, or use the one I started for gauntlet threads ;)

I need a little :help:

Which project?
Where are the 'getting started' 'how to join the team' and FAQ threads for each project?
I'll sticky them, most have new clients, newer or different versions etc.
Most everything in the Forum is outdated... I can drop the old sticky thread as well, as an option...

:idea:
Let's get cracking! :whip:
:wife: <--- Moogie
:gangpunch

Let's get the house straightened up, pave some clear roads, get documention up to date so we can :fight: with organization and effect. :thumbs: :D

/me drags in the SUPER :fridge:
:hifi: :cheers:

Let's all :kiss: and make up, take a deep breath, figure out what we should do, lend a hand...

Let's get the house in order and prepare for some good GAUNTLET(2) Action :elephant: :drums:

I'm one of those that likes to gauntlet for FUN, but rarely do I keep up with the projects any more... remember? I'm retired, so have boxen to move around the 'power', just need to know where ya'll want me :D
No fighting! <LOL>

IronBits
06-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by willy1
Why are you nay-sayers so sure that the points won't be caught up?

Obviously some points are getting credited, and isn't just a matter of time before the backlog is processed?

Do you have some secret access to something the rest of us don't? Do you have links to someplace that says the credit is going into the bit bucket? (I'm still trying to figure out how the project comunicates with users, since they don't appear to have a forum, and all the news is months old.) Willy, please relax and calm down...
If this all resovles itself shortly, we can start a new one this Tues/Wed instead :D
But after you read my previous message and WE ALL figure out what needs to be done...
I will resume full force (800) per day when it's running correctly for 2 weeks.
(w2k/XP clients is all I use any more)
(2 are amd-64 2GHz running 64-bit windows XP)

ronbo54
06-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Personally, I wish it would last another week. Still unpacking my office and haven't had a chance to switch some boxen over to TSC yet.

Bok if it does continue or if you come back to it, I think I saw ladypcer ask to be added (colonials, I assume).

Although gauntlets are fun, the team I like to see win is Free-DC!

PCZ
06-21-2004, 08:41 PM
willy1

The project does have a forum (http://www.planetspectre.com/cgi-bin/lifemapper/ikonboard.cgi) .

Normally LM admin responds quickly to posts on the forum.
The guy is on holiday at the moment.

Go to lifemapper.org and click on links.

You can check on the health of the LM servers here (http://www.lifemapper.org/clientservercomm/pipelinemonitorclient/pipelinemonitorclient.aspx)

IronBits
06-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ronbo54
Personally, I wish it would last another week.
Although gauntlets are fun, the team I like to see win is Free-DC!
:cheers: Sounds good...
I like that attitude :thumbs:

:D

willy1
06-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
Willy, please relax and calm down...
If this all resovles itself shortly, we can start a new one this Tues/Wed instead :D
But after you read my previous message and WE ALL figure out what needs to be done...
I will resume full force (800) per day when it's running correctly for 2 weeks.
(w2k/XP clients is all I use any more)
(2 are amd-64 2GHz running 64-bit windows XP)

I read your previous post.

I really don't see the point of the type 1 gauntlet. The casual nature of it doesn't seem to warrant the effort to organize it. If people want to compare their production, the regular stats work fine for that.

Now, the Type 2 gauntlet is worthwhile! Getting the combined firepower of Free-DC pointed in the same direction at the same time in order to improve our standing in a particular project is most desirable, and demoralizing to the enemy.

I just cannot understand why the LM effort can't continue. Reading on the forum (the link on the LM page makes it look like a 3rd party forum, not an official one), it appears that the work submitted is always cached, and fed into the database when possible, so nothing is lost. That would certainly meet the intent of a type 2 gauntlet. And remember, all the teams are experiencing this - if we keep producing instead of jumping away like the others, we can gain places even faster.

I like to set the machines to one project, and forget about them for a month and watch the stats rise.