PDA

View Full Version : Notice of my forthcoming break from SETI

Richard Clyne
04-17-2002, 08:19 PM
On the 16th May I will have completed 3 solid years crunching for SETI. It will have also seen me pass the 6000 unit mark, and hopefully be in the top 10,000 crunchers.

Maybe not alot for some, but I feel it is quite an achievment.

I have built my output up over the years to it's current 20 odd units per day. Not bad considering my first unit took 120 hours to complete.

I feel the time would be right to take a small break from SETI.

I will leave my work computers crunching seti (all be it approx 3-5 units per day). They are pretty much automated and need very little attention.

What will I do with the other spare 4.3 Ghz. I am not sure. Might switch off for a while and do some much needed shifting around of hardware, or since I hope to have ADSL by the end of May / start of June I might try one of these projects that I have never been able to take part in before due to not having a 24/7 connection.

I will be back, so keep me a beer in the fridge.

One thing I must add. We might only be rank #47 in the SETI charts, but I rank the team #1 in my chart.

Alpha_7
04-18-2002, 07:30 AM
Well I hope u enjoy your break or whatever you decide. I'm I'm might impressed my your achievement and your a real assest to this team, and thats not just your WU's or daily output but you yourself :)

One thing I must add. We might only be rank #47 in the SETI charts, but I rank the team #1 in my chart.

I could agree more :)

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

NeonBlack
04-21-2002, 06:15 PM
i believe alpha means "couldn't" :p

i hope you enjoy your break too, it may give the others a chance of catching up :D

have a good one.

Alpha_7
04-23-2002, 02:20 AM
Hes right I meant couldn't :p

Sorry..

hehehe

IronBits
04-23-2002, 02:38 AM
Great job Richard!!!
Please do let us know what project you jump on next. :D

Richard Clyne
04-23-2002, 03:46 AM
Well I have been forced to bring my plans forwad a bit due to a troublesome upgrade of setiQ. :(

So to date I have switched 3.2Ghz over to G@H,with the the 1.13Ghz being shifted over when I have time. I should be there until at least the end of May. This is far easiest DC project for me to run on a DUN connection.

I will still be making my daily contribution to SETI through my work PCs (I am not going to bother upgrading to latest version of SetiQ).

IronBits
04-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Cool. Better check your config files tho.
You haven't done any WUs according to this stats page
http://www.statsman.org/genomestats/4033.html
:(

Richard Clyne
04-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Cool. Better check your config files tho.
You haven't done any WUs according to this stats page
http://www.statsman.org/genomestats/4033.html
:(

Have not yet uploaded any results yet. Only started back last night.

Will prob upload tonight. I will check to make sure everything is okay.

Richard Clyne
07-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Yep it's true after a couple of months away from SETI I am coming home. :)

DF client/updates have been pissing me off. Time to come back to SETI, to a project that I have had very little problems over the years.

I will move my PC's over as I can.

It's good to be back. :)

IronBits
07-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Just so long as you keep them boxen busy! :D
:thumbs:

ECL
07-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Our Seti performance has been somewhat anemic lately. The return of our #5 cruncher plus the addition of a new team member (at my old #7 spot) goes some way toward getting us back into the top 50.

Richard Clyne
07-09-2002, 07:25 PM
SETIQ up and running and forst PC now crunching. I will crank up production as the days go :)

T'bird 1.4Ghz - Crunching. Still have XP1800, 3 x P3 550 and 3 x Celeron ~400 to add.

PY 222
07-09-2002, 07:31 PM
I am sorry ECL for bumping you down a spot.

Tell you what, I will wait till you get close to me before I start crunching SETI workunits again ok ? :D

Currently my small pharm is running Distributed Folding which is running under another Team at the moment. Will switch if the opportunity arises!

ECL
07-09-2002, 08:21 PM
I've estimated that at my current rate it could take about seventy years before I hit 4000 WU. Maybe even longer. This is one of the problems with being away from my farm for months at a time.

Alpha_7
07-09-2002, 10:41 PM
Welcome back Richard :)

Happy Crunching :D

Richard Clyne
07-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Cheers, Alpha_7 :cheers:

Alpha_7
07-10-2002, 02:10 AM
No worries :) :cheers:

I'm very glad you back...

unfortunately I've been coping flack from the JSI crew that returned back to their own team.. they thought I should too..

but I told em I'm more then happy here :D

Richard Clyne
07-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Well I have 4 PC's shifted over from DF to SETI. :)

Should have another two up and running by the weekend and the last two sometime during the following week :D

Good to hear you decided to stay with us :thumbs: :smoking:

Alpha_7
07-10-2002, 09:49 AM
This place has more to offer, more people, a wider knowledge base, its more friendly and has a more mature atmosphere... I post in plenty of forums filled with "leet script kiddies" its nice to have discussions and relationships with real people, we some shared interests, but plenty of variety to make things interestings...

Plus Free-DC seti rocks, and I've signed up too many people to this team, to lead them somewhere else :D

IronBits
07-10-2002, 09:58 AM
I don't care what Richard says about you... ;)
You're alright in my book! :D
"You can be my wingman any time." :thumbs:

Alpha_7
07-10-2002, 10:04 AM
"Swordfight..."

Topgun quotes... awesome :D

Alpha_7
07-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Richard its great to see you on the active list :D

We were getting a bit lonely up here :D
:cheers:

Alpha_7

Richard Clyne
07-11-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Alpha_7
Richard its great to see you on the active list :D

We were getting a bit lonely up here :D
:cheers:

Great to be back. :)

Thought it was about time you guys got a moving target to aim for :D

Good to see some new peeps on the team. Hi to you all.

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Oh Dear Boss Was I getting a bit too close (lmao @ that one)
He He... See What happens when ya go away... (kicks machines so that they fall over *grins*) Kicks ADSL modem, oh the joys of having a 24/7 connection - damn BT get working on it over here...
:notworthy