PDA

View Full Version : Want to help with BeOS port?

Brian the Fist
04-19-2002, 10:24 AM
Hello,

We have played around with the BeOS a bit now, and have concluded that we don't know enough about it :help: to port the client. :crazy:

If someone would like to volunteer to assist, there are some things that would help.

First, we need to know how to successfully get ncurses installed and working.

Second, we need to port the 'NCBI Toolkit', an open source set of libraries here:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/

Just uncompress it into an 'ncbi' directory. To port, you need to create a ncbilcl.BeOS file (in the corelib subdirectory) and a BeOS.ncbi.mk file (in the platform subdirectory). Then to compile you cd out of the ncbi directory and run
'ncbi/make/makedis.csh'

Unfortunately BeOS does not have Csh either so this fails :D

If anyone can make significant progress on getting the toolkit built, please contact us! (trades@mshri.on.ca)

We belive if we can get curses and the toolkit libraries successfully built, we should be able to handle the remainder of the porting with possibly a few more cries for help here and there.

Thanks in Advance

Chinasaur
05-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Brian,

I'm a Be user with two Be boxes waiting to run DF.

I saw the 5/2 post on getting close to a BeOS port.

Any further information? I just downloaded ncurses from www.bebits.com so that's available.

Hope it happens soon and good luck :thumbs:

Brian the Fist
05-05-2002, 02:45 PM
CURSES is indeed ported. NCBI toolkit is being worked on. Then there is juts one small hitch to port the Codebase database library we use (it ALMOST works). The rest of the code should work with no changes. Basically once the toolkit is done the rest should be a piece of cake. And the toolkit shouldnt be too hard either unles BeOS has some really weird quirks to it..