PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fixed???

JTrinkle
06-22-2004, 10:18 PM
The background should be a solid blue.
http://www.winters1.com/jim/fubar_monitor.jpg

I basically have nothing in it... It's a Dell (Sony) Trinitron 21".
I have another one and would love to use them both in a dual monitor setup at 1600 x 1200.

any suggestions???
:help:

-JT

IronBits
06-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Have you tried to degauss it?

Moogie
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'd agree with IronBits. I think degaussing is needed. Was the monitor dropped at some time? That could knock the electron guns out of alignment (this just happened to me when we moved).
:rolleyes:

magicfan241
06-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I had a problem like that with a old Gateway 2000 (yes, with the 2000) monitor. The red just started dying from all corners. I could never fix it. It could just be the blue gun dying a slow death.

magicfan241

Paratima
06-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Sony Trinitron = 1 gun.

PCZ
06-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Looks like it has had magnets either side of the screen.
Where unshielded speakers attached to it at one time ?

You need to get it degaussed.

JTrinkle
06-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies...

Yeah.. I thought it needed to be be degaussed too....
I've used the internal degauss about 20 times (yes, I've waited 15-20 mins between doing them).
I guess I need to take it somewhere and have it manually degaussed.

BTW: I got this and 8 other monitors (4-21", 1 -19" and 4-17") monitors from IU (Indiana University) Surplus. $151 for the whole lot. This is the only bad one.

Once again thanks..
-JT

IronBits
06-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Good deal Jim!

Hey, a cheap Radio Shack bulk tape eraser is the best tool for degausing :thumbs:

After doing the standard, get real close to the glass, pull the trigger, then work it in ever increasing larger circles while slowly pulling it further away, until at the end of say 30 seconds you are about 3 feet from it ;)
Anyways :rolleyes:, if that don't get it, it's prolly not worth fixing...
but if you can get it checked out for nothing, no harm in asking right? :D
I know you checked the cable at both ends and used an ohm meter for continuity test the wires right? :Pokes:
Just thinking out loud, sharing information others may not have known to do, and things to add for troubleshooting I suppose. ;) :)

:cheers:

Moogie
06-24-2004, 07:45 AM
That's great advice IB. Thanks for sharing that. I need to keep that info in the memory bank for any future problems.

That is an AWESOME deal JT. What are you going to do with them all?

JTrinkle
06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
What are you going to do with them all?

If I can fix the 21" one... I'll keep the 2 matched 21's and the 19 and try to unload the rest

-JT

BECL
08-12-2004, 05:35 AM
If I may augment IronBits' perfect directions.... specifically the internal degausing coil..... just be carefull of the quality ohm meter you use... a high current (low impedance) one will heat it up and fake an open circuit pretty fast.

One other thing to try... when doing the degausing... you might want to spend some time on the backside and physcal case edges of those upper corners (using the same technique) and see if that helps after alll else has failed.

Lastly (having worked on monitors)... you might be able to find the alignment procedures (which starts with the purity setup) first if everything checks out ok. You could then get the purity wedges on the yoke back to where they belong (a pain)... or even see what might be ailing the physical yoke....

My experience is that a drop hard enough to do that (which essentially has bent / moved the screen mask) would cause other internal damage.....most definately physical damage to the plastic case.

I do agree with IB.... Radio Shack makes some great stuff for use on things they never intended!!!! So, save this heavy stuff from me as a last resort... DEFINATELY follow IronBits' steps and have fun.....

( I went to flat screens because I got tired of the N/S vs E/W purity problems when I move a monitor around )

Hollar if I can help in any way..

Chuck