PDA

View Full Version : seeing how it runs on linux...

Bok
06-23-2004, 11:02 PM
I installed it yesterday on an XP2500 running Gentoo 2.6 kernel. Thought it hadn't started and gave up on it for now, restarted TSC. But it appears it was running all along :)

I've stopped TSC on this box and will let FAD churn along. See what it can do. Might even start it upon a few other boxen for comparison.

Bok :|party|:

FoBoT
06-23-2004, 11:08 PM
i haven't tried FAD on linux yet

is it a text/console client? or some java something you have to run in X windows?

Bok
06-23-2004, 11:13 PM
It's all cli based as far as I can tell, but I'm not certain of the ins and outs yet.

I'll play with it at work tomorrow /me thinks

Bok

magnav0x
06-23-2004, 11:37 PM
it's all CLI based on linux....

Paratima
06-23-2004, 11:47 PM
It is, and it ain't quick! ;) Start program, engage patience, and go cultivate your favorite other hobby, whatever it may be. Glacier watching or maybe rust cultivation. I personally think it runs better on Linux than Winders, but haven't done anything to bench it.

magnav0x
06-24-2004, 12:07 AM
You are right about it being slow. Work units time can vary greatly. I've seen some that take a couple of minutes and I've seen some that can take days. Your points are based on your computer's cpu rating and how much processing time the work unit recieved upon completion, so your points will come out either way. A fast unit that takes an hour or may only yield 50 points...I've had a really long unit that gave me 20,000 points before. Patience is definatly a virtue with this projects. Especially given the fact the stats only update every 6 hours.

furballexpress
06-25-2004, 11:49 AM
What did one vulture say to the other?

"Patience my ass...I'm just about to kill something."

:trash: :D